atkins bars

strawberry82

has anyone tried these some say there 2 net carbs so if ive got that left in my daily allowance can i have them,im on induction:confused:also anyone tried sero bars xxx:D

I wouldn't have these on induction to be honest. It really is best to stick to real food and use these products as a very occasional treat once you are firmly into the low carb way of eating.

I've always counted the total, not the net carbs in these products too. The sweetners and other ingredients in these bars can cause some peolpe to stall. Having said that some of them are rather nice and once you are past induction they are worth a try.

Jac

I had these when I did Atkins last year. They were a major saviour as they took that sweet craving away..... But after losing nothing for two weeks, I realised they were stalling my losses. So I stopped.

If you really need them, then try to just have one as a treat, maybe 1-2 times a week.

I totally agree,

1. It's best to eat natural produce if you can
2. Yes they can stall you, and we are supposed to be re-educating our bodies on what we eat, we don't want to go back to eating how we used to, 'cos that's how we got fat in the first place.
3. They'll probably give you the runs.

As an occasional treat, yes I'd agree with that.

i was going to buy these as boots have them 3 for 2 offer however they are around 16-18carbs ... but say 2 net carbs so i wouldnt touch them ..not worth it i would prefer an apple ..Jim has given great advise above ...

No apples on induction, berries only :)

Hello! Lurker and very, very occasional poster on this extremely inspirational and useful site. Shifted 22lbs last year on a low-carb diet and one week of W8 (too hardcore for me).

Just to say - Sero bars - don't do it!! The peanut/caramel ones were, in my opinion, the most astonishingly evil-tasting things I've ever had, with a tooth-breaking texture and bitter aftertaste! The white choc and berry ones were a only a little better.

I've never tried the Atkins bars, but as Jac and Jim say, best not to have them on induction and stick to natural stuff.

Has anyone else tried Go Lower bars? I like them as the occasional treat - about 3g net carbs I think (don't know what the total carbs are) and no sweeteners or other artificial stuff, just nuts and seeds. Really tasty.

how about zero carb sweets and golden pork crunch,aparently there carb free,any ideas xxx

I have never heard of them so i can't really answer that, and I wouldn't obsess over the one yesterday frankly.

im just panicking a bit now,as on the packaging it said only 2net carbs,but someone just mentioned there about 17.....i must be reading things wronge:confused:

I think that's with the fibre subtracted,

I think so, I'd have to go and find one and check it out

Hi,

I got one of the chocolate Hazelnut Crunch bars. Its apparently 2.8 g net carbs, Ive heard that its the total carbs minus fibre. So thats 19g minus 5.4 g....erm. Ok, I then heard its minus Polyols aswell as fibre (15g) so 19 - 15 - 5.4 = - 1.4!! Minus?! Then I hear its minus Glycerine (11g) so whats true?!

It will say something along the lines of total carbs 17g, of which sugar 2g, of which polyols 15g.
Polyols are artificial sweeteners (maitol etc) and have a negligable effect on blood sugar so they are not counted as 'carbs' for atkins purposes.
They do however act as laxitives in some people.. the same reason normal sugar free sweets and chewing gum say 'excessive consumption may cause a laxative effect'.
It is generally recommended that you do not go above 15g per day. I am fine if I have 2 atkins bars in a day.

Some of the atkins bars (seems to be the american available ones) do say on them sugar alcohols 0g. I believe this means they do not have polyols in them.

I did atkins a few years ago, and started again last Dec. I have at least one of these bars a day and have had no problems with my losses - usually 4lb a week.
I normally have the cinammon bun bars for breakfast as I do not have time/cannot stomach anything savory first thing. I also sometimes have one on the way walking back from the gym as a bit of a pick me up. The Advantage bars are all pretty alright, daybreak I dont like except cinammon, and the endulge solid chocolate ones are :jelous:
Most of them do say suitable for all phases of atkins including induction.

I agree that it is best to eat the majority of natural unprocessed food, but for me these are a lifesaver.. I think I would go a bit barmy otherwise.
Boots do sell them, but only a limited range. They also sell their own range of diabetic chocolates/sweets. The chocolate wafers are very nice, and the solid chocolate much better than the atkins stuff. oh and the chewy toffees are yummy... but be warned.. they have 6g polyols each.. I found this out the hard way :8855::eek:
I get mine from www.lowcarbmegastore.com.
If anyone wants to know what other things from there are pallatable or not then let me know.. some of it is great some erm... really disgusting.

Hello! Would be interested to know what's nice and what isn't. We know Sero bars taste like the bottom of a budgie's cage!

Talking about the net carbs thing, these Go Lower bars that I've been raving about are 3.7g carbs (total carbs?) of which 1g is sugars. Is this good or bad?

I only have a Go lower choc creme bar here.. carbs 5.6 of which sugars 4.7 it has no mention of any sweeteners in the ingredients so I assume it is only sweetened with sugar. I would therefore count all 5.6g as the net carb total for this. This is alright, but the atkins ones are much lower.

I just got a delivery today actually and im pretty bored so i'll list the atkins bars I have here

All suitable for indution except the one I have said.
Advantage choc brownie - 3g net carbs 11.3g polyols
Day break Cinammon - 1g net carbs 0 polyols
Advantage Choc decadence 2.1g net carbs 16g polyols
Endulge caramel nut chew bar 2g net carbs 0 polyols
Advantage fudge brownie - 2g net carbs 0 polyols phases 2,3,4
Advantage Caramel cookie dough bar - 2g net carbs 0 polyols

Also have other makes of things..
Duke & Mandarin Caramel bars - 2g net carbs
Cavalier Solid milk choc - 2g net carbs
Cavalier wafers - 1.2g per wafer (the boots ones are nicer and from memory I *think* are 0.3g

The duke and mandarin praline is really yummy, but was out of stock.

The praline seashells are very nice.. cant taste much difference between them and the real thing. The guylian bar chocolate isnt as nice as I was hoping for.

I have also got but havent tried before, carbophobia choc cake mix and a no carb breading mix (for kfc type chicken etc) I have no idea what these are like, will report back once tried.

Ps. DO NOT buy the miss meringue meringues.. they are vomit worthy. I have a whole pack of them left here and dont know what to do with them.

Reactions: Jim
Back