Australia

Vicsta007

Hi guys, im tryna follow sw in oz but im struggleing with trying to find the equivelant matching foods. E.g muller light! What could u use to replace that? So many yummy recepies are made with it & its such a quick grab & go yummy food, but....they dont have them here :( any advice?

Hi guys, im tryna follow sw in oz but im struggleing with trying to find the equivelant matching foods. E.g muller light! What could u use to replace that? So many yummy recepies are made with it & its such a quick grab & go yummy food, but....they dont have them here :( any advice?

you just need to find some other branded fat free yoghurts etc and enter information into syns calculator to see if they are free.

This is what I have been doing to find stuff here in Canada.

you can only access it through the slimming world website, for which you need an online subscription.

I am sure some people will work the occasional thing out for you if you post in the syns section on here, but if you are going to need to work things out often, you might be best getting at least the minimum 3 months subscription so you cna work some things out and make a list.

Hello
Must be more people in Aus having a go at this...
We could talk about how wonderful it is that Quorn is here...

and that the only brand of Quorn sausages have a totally different name to the ones in UK

and... we can now get cottage cheese... but not fat free it seems?

no quark???

Which Aus yogurts are free? I've been sticking to natural just in case

..and how bananas aren't really an option for free food as still $13 a kg... poor banana trees in Queensland...

and many other things I'm sure we could chat about and share...

Sunshine me up (a little more than current winter levels please) :)

Another Aussie slimming worlder

Hi, I agree it's hard matching food with uk foods, would also love more aussie foods included.  bananas are a problem in south aus but strawberries have been fantastic here!!!  a good cream alternative, low fat live active cream cheese, whisked up with dash of skim milk, teaspoon of splenda and one drop vanilla extract. Serves two, possible HeA choice? It's working for me, 12 weeks in and weight falling off.  good luck

I'm in Melbourne from UK, so tips for food shopping would be greatly appreciated too xx

Wow - $13 for bananas :( - we will have to bring our own when we come over in 4 weeks.

Stefanie said:
I'm in Melbourne from UK, so tips for food shopping would be greatly appreciated too xx

Hi Stephanie I can get most stuff here ie uk marmite, tea etc. Have had to make a few compromises though and it's working for me so far , if you get stuck yell out. I'm off out for tea, test my willpower, wish me luck.

Sunshine me up said:
Hello
Must be more people in Aus having a go at this...
We could talk about how wonderful it is that Quorn is here...

and that the only brand of Quorn sausages have a totally different name to the ones in UK

and... we can now get cottage cheese... but not fat free it seems?

no quark???

Which Aus yogurts are free? I've been sticking to natural just in case

..and how bananas aren't really an option for free food as still $13 a kg... poor banana trees in Queensland...

and many other things I'm sure we could chat about and share...

Sunshine me up (a little more than current winter levels please) :)

I read that yoplait forme yogurts are free, it was on this website somewhere. They work ok for me.

Hi Stephanie I can get most stuff here ie uk marmite, tea etc. Have had to make a few compromises though and it's working for me so far , if you get stuck yell out. I'm off out for tea, test my willpower, wish me luck.

Hey there, cheers for that, I'm still trying to plan meals but so far so good too - a few tweaks here and there. Hope the willpower stayed strong! Xx

Yeah I personally like sw online, it's good for tracking your progress, inspiration and syn calculator etc. Some people say they get all that on here, but it really is each to their own - they do deals on 3 months subscription xx

I did SW online for a while but I did find it a waste of money but that was partly because money was tight so as cutbacks go that was an easy one to make.

It isn't always easy knowing syn values over here as brands are different or even when they are the same, if they are manufactured here or in NZ then you can't guarantee that the syn-value would be the same either. I tend to use a common-sense approach and keep my fingers crossed! Up to a point that is all we can do.

The price of bananas seems to be slowly coming down now - I haven't had one since before the cyclone in Feb!

Yeah I agree OzzieMoz, I find that the same products are completely different with different ingredients. I try to keep a common sense approach too, although it can be a bit frustrating at times. One thing I do miss is Heinz Beans!! Same tin, even some say English recipe, but totally different ingredients.....boo!! :)

Thanks for the help guys - i have signed up to the website for 3 months and am gonna make a list of the syns for the stuff i usually have then i can make the decision if i still need/am using it once that subscription is over. Anyway - started my first day today - wish me luck.....

Just make sure you use the syn calculator as much as you can working out foods and make up a list of food syn values. You don't need to worry about having a australian list as the calculator is accurate so will tell you if a food is free or not.

You might not have the same branded stuff as the UK but you will soon have a list of alternatives :)

Hi, I'm from Northern Ireland and have now been living in Australia for nearly 19 months. I did SW back in the UK and lost over 2 stone doing it, which was great, then the big move happened and I've now put at least a stone of that back on and some. I have decided to join SW Online for 3 months and use this forum as my conscience, I hope to have my weigh ins on a Saturday then do what I did in the UK and have something naughty that evening, tee hee! :D

Is anyone else using the SW Online, if so, are you feeling it's worth it?

Hi Jen

I have been in oz 2 1/2 years and I joined sw online this week - mainly cos the choices here are either weightwatchers or shakes! I am finding it very useful, particularly the syn calculator. I tried doing it without signing up was virtually impossible as it was difficult to estimate syns, but i guess its early days yet, and if i find i am not using it i wont re-subscribe in 3 months time!

Best of luck on the plan xxx

Aussie!

Hi Val, yeah I've just signed up, already syned a few things and definitely think it's going to be useful. We're just back from 4 nights on the sunshine coast and we both felt like hippos at the beach, so it's time to sort ourselves out, once and for all!!! Here's hoping!!!

Back