Back again and making it work this time!

xxlettyxx

Hi everyone!

It's been a long time since I posted on here.. it seems quite quiet! Just wanted to say hello, describe what I'm doing and see if anyone fancies having a buddy to help each other along :)

I'm 27, 5ft 4in (well, 5ft 3.75lb but never mind..!). My weight has always been up and down. I come from a family of foodies and have always eaten more than I should, hence my fluctuating weight. In my adult life, my highest weight was 14st, and my lowest was 10st 7lb. I want to lose body fat and get fit once and for all. I really feel my weight holds me back and I need to solve my overeating issues, which I have done a fair bit of work towards and I'm feeling positive!

So I started counting calories on 31st March, as this is what has worked for me in the past. I find it simple and non-faddy, I really think it's the best way to go. I lost 5lb after my first week, which I'm sooo pleased about :D I have exactly 3 stone I'd like to lose now.

I'm eating 1300 calories a day. This is how I worked this out: I found a calculator online which estimates your daily calorie burn through BMR + lifestyle - this is approximately 2000 calories a day I need to remain at the weight I am, so 14000 calories a week. I am also going to the gym four times a week (more on this in a moment...) which burns approximately 450 calories a session, which is 1800 extra calories burned a week. I want to lose 2lb a week (although I might start aiming for 1lb or 1.5lb if I start struggling, which I know from experience can/will happen!), so I need to cut 1000 calories a day to achieve this (so I'm burning 7000 calories more than I eat a week - one pound of fat equating to 3500 calories x 2). Without my gym sessions this'd mean eating 1000 calories a day :eek: but my 1800 calories burned at the gym divided by 7 is an additional 257 calories I can eat a day - technically meaning I should eat precisely 1257 calories a day to lose 2lb a week, but 1300 is what I'm going for! If anyone has any comments or suggestions about this they would be gratefully received :cool:

At the gym, I do 50 minutes of cardio. This is made up of 40 minutes on the treadmill - I run for 5 minutes to get my heart rate up, then walk on an incline (usually 13%) for the remaining 35 minutes. This gets me all sweaty and out of breath! Then I do 10 minutes cardio to finish off - usually the crosstrainer but I jumped on the stair master instead the other day (owwww!). Between this I do weights for my upper body - biceps, triceps, shoulders and back. I hate my bingo wings and generally wobbly-ness in this area and would love some definition as my body fat decreases, so starting with this. Eventually I will add in more weights routines but my main focus is cardio for fat loss at the minute; plus all my cardio is good for legs anyway, I can feel my muscles in my thighs getting stronger already!

I would really love a buddy so we can help and encourage each other, is anybody interested in that too? I have MFP - my username should be in my stats.

C x

I could have written most of that myself! I'm new to the site and I have to say, reading this has made me think I'm definitely in the right place. I'm also a typical yo-yo dieter - I have lost count of the times I've lost and gained the same 1.5 stone . I'm currently at my heaviest weight ever 11st 10lbs and am aiming to lose 2 stone -ideally before the end of August. I know what to do - the hard bit is making myself stick to it....

Anyhow, I'd be happy to buddy up - we're a similar weight and are both just getting going, plus I'm also doing some work on sorting out my bingeing (mostly stress driven and I have a stressful job so it's a continuous battle). Hopefully we can help each other keep going.

Back