Back - but struggling

Teddy67

Hi there,

Well I am back - but finding it v v hard to get back into Dukan.

I lost just over 1stone in three months - then Chrimbo/New Year arrived - and I am afraid I plummeted straight back into my old ways... I was determined to follow a conso style plan over Chrimbo - but it didn't happen, I just ate what I wanted, lots of choc, Chrimbo pud and cake - and buffet style nibbles.

Considering my diet I was pleased to find I had only put on 3.5lbs.

I was determined to start Attack again this week - but just haven't managed it as effectively as I should - more Atkins with yog&oatbran&gogi berries.

That said I lost 2.8lbs in 4 days (was supposed to do 5 - according to DrD) but fell off wagon yesterday due to having spinal injection at hospital - which gave me perfect excuse to indulge in flapjack, 2 creme eggs, 2 large deserts, and pie & gravy!!!

Not sure there is any hope for me to learn to eat properly...

dont get dis heartened we have all been there, i started dukan just before xmas lost 7lb then put it all back on at xmas, back on dukan this week lost 4lb...you can do this, give yourself little goals, write out next week menus get everything ready, get rid of all the crap in the cupboards , thats what i did , planning i think is the key to this diet, and keep a diary everyday on here, keeps you motivated xx

I've been exactly the same teddy ....did so good before Christmas and was only 5lb away from my TW ....but then it all went down hill and I've managed to put a stone on :(:( I did manage to get back on it new years day and lost 7 in my first week but then I went to pot and last week has been a total write off eating everything I shouldn't but the irony is I don't even enjoy it :(:(

Not sure I'll ever change my eating issues either but I so want to x

I too so want to change my eating habits - so so much harder than losing the weight in the first place....

I know that's my ultimate wish too here's hoping for us both x

I too so want to change my eating habits - so so much harder than losing the weight in the first place....

Hi Teddy - sorry to hear you're struggling but totally understand. There's so much more to losing weight and ultimately I think you hit the nail on the head because its MUCH harder to maintain than lose (I think).

I'm a big fan of the Oprah Winfrey show and even though this story doesn't directly relate to my weight issues, I found it very fascinating and friends who suffered eating issues found it helpful. There's a book she recommended that changed her perspective on her relationship with food and why she binges, overeats, etc. Its called "Women Food and God" by Geneen Roth. Apparently, its quite insightful. Here's a link to Oprah's website where she talks about it.

Geneen Roth Talks About Women Food and God - Oprah.com

I believe until you resolve your relationship with food outside of a "diet" you will never succeed in keeping it off. And this comes from past experience as someone who was nearly 22 stone for most of her twenties!! Now going on 12 years with 9 stone of it gone.

Best of luck to you - I hope it all works out. Stay strong!!! :)

Just downloaded that book thank you x

Teddy you can only do your best - try and remember the thrill you got last time from being so in control over what you ate. It is soooo hard to get back on the wagon after a break but you can do it. Perhaps try to get back to it gradually - maybe doing totally PV days to start which might not seem so restrictive? If you can't stick to the plan at all just try to limit the fat and sugar to start with then gradually drop the carbs. Just trying to give you some ideas that may help. Best bit of advice is to stop pressurising yourself cos it is a sure way to make it much harder. Good luck and we are all behind you. x

Lots great advice here teddy ... I cant advise as im struggling a wee bit at the mo as the demon quality street keep calling my name due to awfull TOTM cramps. I know i never want to get back to the size i was so i will keep fighting my demons.... good luck and keep fighting xx

Hey Teddy,

It seems that there are so many of us who have all fallen off the diet wagon and are now racing to try and catch it up! I for one fell off and just couldn't get back into the diet 'zone' if you know what I mean.

Well some very unflattering pictures of me from NY Eve put me very firmly back in the zone and my focus is well and truly back.

But that doesn't mean it's been easy. The second time around I've found it hard, the weight is coming off slower and yesterday I very nearly gave up - just one week in! But I keep telling myself to take it just one day at a time and have been planning meals each week so I know what I'm doing each day.

I've got a big family reunion in June and I want to be slim and confident, not bitterly disappointed and hating myself for having given up on the diet.

So you're not alone - we are only human after all. And the biggest challenge that you've overcome already was picking yourself up and getting back on the diet... so don't give up yet! x

Thanks guys - comforting to hear am not the only one struggling - but feel frustrated for everyone.

I have decided just to be as good as I can - try and stick to what I fancy - if not strictly Dukan, least not totally carb loaden.

Today:
Cappuccino, scrambled egg and bacon
1.5 Jaffa cakes.. ?!
Homemade roasted Tom & pepper soup - topped bacon
Marks meatloaf with Tom sauce & broccoli

If peckish later will have yog with bran - prefer not as quite high in cals without it!

This thread, and all of your comments, really do show how many of us are now struggling having fallen off the wagon. Not only is getting back on it difficult, but the results are never quite the same either! A double edged sword.

So I think we have to be a little more realistic with restarts and we know that the weight quickly regained will whizz off relatively quickly, but from then on, it's hard slog...

Will this knowledge help us not go there again? OOOH I hope so... but unfortunately most of us still have underlying issues with food behaviour which we might have thought had gone, but were in fact there waiting for us.

A book such as that recommended here might indeed help. I bought a cognitive therapy book, but I found it "upset" my mindset and made things worse!! Talking about it among ourselves could help too. I've been loath to bring this sort of thing up while everyone was in the honeymoon period, but now most of us have met our demons recently again...!!

Good luck Teddy, and to us all...

Grrr - am still struggling - am nowhere near doing a whole day of Dukan let alone managing to string a few together...

... Grr...

I did well losing 16lbs from Sept-Dec - but am only 1/3rd through to my target weight.

I am managing to stabilise - which is something at least - but only just as keep having pig-outs...!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back