Baked beans

Karen.hat

Silver Member
An anyone recommend an alternative to Heinz baked beans?

I'm trying this frugal thing for a werk starting tomorrow I want to stay on plan and eat speed foods (don't want much I know)

The thing is I'm not a lover of baked beans I can just about manage half a tin of Heinz then the rest gets binned but the cost is ridiculous but I've tasted smart price and they went in the bin after one fork

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I eat the Tesco brand beans... the red and white tin. They taste just the same to me.

The Branston ones are nice and often on big offer in Asda - 4 tins for £1 or £1.50 I think.

An anyone recommend an alternative to Heinz baked beans?

I'm trying this frugal thing for a werk starting tomorrow I want to stay on plan and eat speed foods (don't want much I know)

The thing is I'm not a lover of baked beans I can just about manage half a tin of Heinz then the rest gets binned but the cost is ridiculous but I've tasted smart price and they went in the bin after one fork

If you aren't a lover of baked beans, then why eat them? There are loads of other speed foods.

If you aren't a lover of baked beans, then why eat them? There are loads of other speed foods.

That's what I was thinking;)

But if you really do want baked beans, I can recommend Aldi ones. Or you could make yourself a big pan of chilli, curry, stew thingy, using tinned toms, baked beans, potatoes & carrots. Or just scour the stores & see what offers they have on & plan your food around that.

Seasonal veg is always cheap, you can buy a big bag of carrots for less than £1 & could make carrot soup.

There are quite a few threads around for cheap meals.

AnnaFaraday said:

I have to fancy them to eat them, it's not I don't like them it's more I don't love them as much as other foods and I don't eat and beans or pulses so try to eat them occasionally to vary my diet to stop me getting bored of food

Branston are the best imo but they're not cheap! I only buy them when they're on offer. I usually buy own brand, either Morrisons/Asda/Tesco, and to make them taste better I add a tbsp of BBQ sauce which is 1 syn and takes away from the watery tomato sauce thing they have going on! Sometimes I add cheese to them before I nuke them (using my A choice), but I haven't done this in ages.. need to do it soon :drool:

The asda own brand (NOT smart price) are quite nice imo :) i think the 4 pack is only £1.11 or something xxx

mmmm wonder if i have some big enough potatoes to do baked potatoes for dindins?!

it's too late to do the curry I was planning as it's a cheap cut of meat :(

Karen.hat said:
do they leave funny shells in your mouth thats the bit im not keen on

we have an aldi next to us

can't say I've ever noticed the shelly bit so I'm guessing they must be fine :) x

Bunnylush said:
I'm a Heinz girl, but funnily don't mind Aldi, I have to cook them on the hob not microwave,and drain sauce away.

I'm off to Aldo in the morning, I'll give them a whirl, I priced branstons and they not much cheaper might as well have Heinz for few extra pennies. Will def taste also first

Is the correct answer.

I'm lucky i do like baked beans, but once I got over my brand snobbiness, I ditched Heinz for Branston, and various own-brands - they're all ok.

Recently I ran out and had to go to local shop and only had 4packs of Heinz! - £1.99 and no better than some others lol.

Back