Baked Spaghetti Squash - a Great replacement for pasta on an Original day

BritMumInCanada

Gold Member
Living here means I get some access to some lovely varieties of squash.

I buy butternut squash quite often as I love it roasted and mixed in with other dishes. However I occasionally pick up the other varieties to try. Acorn squash is another favorite of mine.

However while shopping last week I stumbled upon the spaghetti squash so bought one to try and it had been sitting in my kitchen for about a week lol, however I finally got round to cooking it tonight to serve with some of the bolognese I had made in a huge pot.

I have to say it is delicious. I am excited to try some other recipes with it. I think it will be lovely baked with a strong type cheese.

The best thing of all is it is totally free on a Original day, so a great side replacement for pasta in many dishes. It is quite filling too, so doesnt leave you missing those carbs.

Anyway here is my blog post with pictures :)

Spaghetti Squash | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes

I know a lot of people who love spaghetti squash but I have to admit I've never tried it. Maybe because my OH always cooks acorn squash with brown sugar, and I'm not a fan of sweet side dishes.

But this baked with cheese can not possibly go wrong can it?

I know a lot of people who love spaghetti squash but I have to admit I've never tried it. Maybe because my OH always cooks acorn squash with brown sugar, and I'm not a fan of sweet side dishes.

But this baked with cheese can not possibly go wrong can it?

I love acorn squash, it is one of my favorites roasted in the oven. I like it was some chilli and cheese on top.

The spaghetti squash was delicious, def give it a go if you get a chance :)

Oh om nom nom that looks amazing... I need to go to Waitrose anyhow and they always have TONS of squashes, theyre bound to have one, yum yum :)

ermintrude said:
Oh om nom nom that looks amazing... I need to go to Waitrose anyhow and they always have TONS of squashes, theyre bound to have one, yum yum :)

It was delicious. I am off to get another one to bake with some cheese

Apparently these are like chicken teeth in the UK - just can't find them. Waitrose seemed to be the only supermarket stocking the odd one but apparently they've stopped doing them now.

Only think I's suggest is contacting local farm shops / organic farms etc to see if they have them. My task for the weekend as I've always wanted to try one.

I grew these in my garden last year and they were ace!

Sadly this year I had a glut of slugs and they destroyed all my squashes over one single weekend whilst I was away and had a good go at my pumpkins too............ :cry:

The only solace I could get was going out into the garden of an evening and nabbing the little blighters with the salt cellar :8855: :8855: :8855:

Next year, I will lay slug traps filled with beer - that'll fix 'em!

Back