BANANA AND MALTESER CAKES

This is a great recipe (originally WW) I made it with orange and chocolate chips instead of banana & maltesers.

Orange & Chocolate Chip Cakes add the rind of an orange and use orange juice instead of the water in making up the cake and then add 50g choc chips. Not sure if the syns change (I know they worked out the same points)

I also made it using a standard fatless sponge mix instead of bought cake mix. Here's the recipe........not sure of the syns though:

3 standard eggs
75 g./ 3 oz. castor sugar
75 g./ 3 oz. self-raising flour, sifted twice or three times

Break eggs, one at a time, into cup. Transfer to mixing bowl. (It is best to do this in case one egg out of three is bad). Whisk until very frothy. Gradually add sugar. Continue to whisk steadily until mixture is very pale in colour, the consistency of whipped cream and at least twice the volume than it was when you started. To test if eggs and sugar have been whisked sufficiently, lift beaters out of bowl (remembering to switch off electricity first or mixture will fly all over the eplace) and allow it to fall from the beater heads back into bowl. The mixture should stay on the surface, like a decoration, for about half a minute; if it sinks immediately, it's under-whipped and you must continue whisking until the correct consistency is reached. It is vitally important to get this absolutely right because a sponge depends almost entirely on air to aerate it, especially if it's made with plain flour.

Sprinkle all the sifted flour all at once over top of the whisked eggs and sugar. Using a large metal spoon or thin plastic spatula, gently and slowly fold in flour by flipping the spoon or spatula over and over. Occasionally cut athe edge across the base of the bowl to lift up and incorporate any flour that may have sunk to the bottom. When smooth and evenly combined, and it is obvious that all the flour has been worked in add banana/maltesers or whatever ingredients you want to add.

I worked out the syns on the Sainsburys low fat sponge mix as I couldn't get Greens either and the recipe works out a whole 10 syns less so much better in my opinion.

PS. I'm new on here, hello, lol

I worked out the syns on the Sainsburys low fat sponge mix as I couldn't get Greens either and the recipe works out a whole 10 syns less so much better in my opinion.

PS. I'm new on here, hello, lol
WOW!!!

Welcome newbie...u can hang around more often sharing info like that hehe.

I was panicing about it being higher in SYNS, so I am LOVING this post!

Welcome and enjoy :)

x

Thank you Littleali21, I've never felt so welcome somewhere :) Hope to see you around a bit more now i'm registered.
Have only been following SW for 3 weeks and quite pleased with the result so far. It feel so easy and like i'm not on a diet. Am making the cakes for work on Thursday as we have to take cakes in on our birthday and don't see why I should spoil all my good work for them, lol.

I love them, they are yummy :)

I made them and my fella (who aint even on slimming world!!) ate most of them and I had to make another batch!! hehe.

This is also my 3rd week hun x

I have made them many times before when i was on another diet (WW), i think that's where the recipe originally comes from. Gonna make some tonight i think, lol. Just fancying something nice. Problem is that they're so nice that you can't just eat 1, lol.

Am making the cakes for work on Thursday as we have to take cakes in on our birthday and don't see why I should spoil all my good work for them, lol.

Great idea!!! I'll do the same when it's my turn to take cakes in.

I couldn't wait till Wednesday night so got second batch cooking now, they smell so good......may have to eat them all, lol

I made these using sainsburys low fat mix and they are yummy. I worked them out at 2.5 syns each. My mixture made 24!

Yummy!!! :D

bump coz i am going to make these again for mothers day coffee morning :)

Hi,

Just a quick question, do you need the mashed banana, or can this be left out? does the banana keep the cakes moist or something & also can you taste the banana in the cakes as OH doesn't like bananas.

Cheers

Lyn

Hi,

Just a quick question, do you need the mashed banana, or can this be left out? does the banana keep the cakes moist or something & also can you taste the banana in the cakes as OH doesn't like bananas.

Cheers

Lyn

I'm sure you could leave it out - it would just be like a sponge with maltesers in. You can taste the banana.

I've just made these and they are yum!! So nice to eat something that resembles proper cake :D:D

You scared me when I started reading the syns for the pack mix but gave me a asmile when I saw the end syns!!lol.Thanks

Guess whos off to asda.........

Another I'm gonna have a go at. I did the 1 syn choc cupcakes and they went down well. I've only been registered here for 3 weeks but you've all given me so many recipe ideas and tips already. Thank you x

Back