Becoming a CDC..What BMI?

kellymundy

Gold Member
I have it in my head (don't know where from???) that you can start training to be a CDC once your BMI hits 28. Is that correct?
If not is there a rule on what BMI you need to be? If it is right does it have to be BMI 28 or under or does BMI 28.9 count?
I'm looking to add it as one of my goals (my CDC said she'd sponser me! yay!!!) but I'd like to know where in my goals I need to put it.

yeah 28 to do training...

BUT what annoyed me was at my CDC training there were current CDC's who were clearly alot bigger than BMI 28.

i do feel that this does not set a very good example to dieters!!!

i know ill prob get shot down for this but i feel that as a counsellor we should have healthy bmi's as we are advertising CD...

mmm wonder who will shoot me first!!!! ***runs off and hides***

well i think 28 is fine, there are a good few weeks between applying having a phone interview, and getting accepted onto a training day and then a further delay while you do homework modules then they get marked etc etc... so i think 28.9 would be fine as you have plenty of time to get below 28 before becoming a CDC.

hope this helps x

I agree with what your saying Keeley, I went to see more than one CDC before starting, I found that they were defo above BMI of 28. The one I choose to be with Is the one that was most honest, about CD and what it done for her, pros and cons. Her struggles etc...!

BUT what annoyed me was at my CDC training there were current CDC's who were clearly alot bigger than BMI 28.

i know ill prob get shot down for this but i feel that as a counsellor we should have healthy bmi's as we are advertising CD...

The rule is to have a BMI of 28 or under, but, as Keeley says, you can start the process off beforehand. Your BMI does have to be recorded on the sponsorship forms though, so you'd need to be close to a BMI of 28 when you start the ball rolling with your cdc.

Regarding overweight cdcs... the BMI rule has actually not been around for that long. When I became a cdc three years ago, there was no maximum BMI rule. If my memory serves me right, they brought in an 'under BMI 30' rule not long after I was accredited, then changed it to BMI 28 from there. So, anyone that has been a cdc for at least as long as me would've been allowed to do it at any weight. Obviously, some cdcs may also have gained some of their weight back.

I can understand people being wary of overweight cdcs - I know that it helps some of my clients to see me as an 'inspiration' for losing and maintaining my weight. On the other hand, cdcs are 'just people' too, and aren't exempt from struggling with their weight anymore than anyone else! At least they understand how hard it is for their clients.

Jo x

Jo I agree with what you are saying. My CDC lost a lot of weight and then put some back on and is now doing SS. This helps me as she does understand when I am struggling and helps me focus on the week ahead.

My first CDC had lost weight and kept it off, but I always felt she was talking down to me, particularly if I had a bad week.
My new CDC has regained some of the weight she lost, but she is honest about it and why. It is lovely that she really empathises with my struggles and I know I wouldn't be as committed without her support.
As in life, it's not what is on the outside, it is what is on the inside that counts. :)

No, I agree with you here. I'm not sure of my CDC's BMI, she is a little bit overweight but she's in her fifties and she looks fantastic, really lovely.

But very overweight CDCs don't set a good example, especially concerning the long-term goals of the CD diet. A lot of people worry they'll put the weight back on, and only want to do this diet *once* and CDCs who have gained back all the weight are not very encouraging.

Back