Becoming obsessed with weight

Lucy1987

Does anyone else feel like their life is becoming ruled by the scales?

My weight is so tempermental. I lose around 2lbs a month because for two weeks of the month my body is preparing itself for a period so therefore I either STS or gain. It is really disheartening.

I just feel as if everything is becoming about how much I weigh and not about how I look. Every Wednesday I put myself under massive pressure before WI. I don't drink or eat after 4pm (my WI is at 7pm) and I wear really light clothing just so I don't gain. If I STS I feel like I've let myself down (when I know I haven't in reality).

I'm considering stopping going to group and stopping weighing myself. Obviously continuing with the plan but just not putting myself under so much pressure to lose that extra pound. Maybe measure myself once a month instead.

I dunno, does anyone else feel similar?

xx

I don't drink or eat after 4pm (my WI is at 7pm) and I wear really light clothing just so I don't gain. If I STS I feel like I've let myself down (when I know I haven't in reality).

xx

Ditto Lucy. My WI is at 5.30, I don't eat or drink after about 2 and I always wear light clothes and take off any accessories. Always have, always will.

My life is ruled by the scales and Tuesday WI, If I have a "bad" friday or saturday I cut right back ready for Tuesday. If I gain a few pounds I feel dreadful (I'm happy to STS as I'm at target) and grumpy.

You are not on your own, all I will say is this - are you really sure you can continue to lose on your own without getting weighed weekly at class? I know I couldn't. You know your body and cycle by the sounds of it and don't expect to lose for 2 of the 4 weeks so don't beat yourself up too much.

2lb a month may not seem a lot but it all adds up and as long as you keep on losing you will get there.

You are not on your own!

Yes, I agree, my weight loss seems to fill my mind, I am always thinking of WI day and always thinking what to eat or how I can spin out my syns....

But, I have made a concious effort not to become a diet bore and talk about it all the time as I know I have in the past - so my hubby is quite happy this time around, when I was doing WW he was so sick of me pointing everything as I ate it (between mouthful's) to make sure it was right - that he got quite mad with me about it. So this time my mouth is zipped, unless he asks me anything of course......which he does as he is following the diet with me, so we have struck a happy medium now.

But, the beauty of the SW diet is that there is no points and everything on my plate is 'amazingly' FREE!!!! So I just eat and enjoy....

We all feel exactly like this i know i do!

Like you i weigh myself at home, I do this every morning to see if i have lost! I cant help it i just need to do it but i am not the sort of person who will have a treat if i have lost i just need to know!!
Dont feel to disheartened at your weight loss we all lose at diffrent rates and its not a race.
I would keep going to group but try not to put to much pressure on yourself we all feel upset if we sts or have a gain it human nature!
Keep doing what your doing and remember the weight didnt go on overnight so it wont come off overnight!

Good luck!

I made a thread smiliar to this only last week! Im constantly obsessed with my weight, its cazy! Everything I think and do has something to do with SW and my weight, from what I eat to the amount of exercise I do. It can take over your life!

The Doctors I work for and my family think I have a problem, but I think it's a way of life now. Thats the thing, if you didnt have SW to occupy yourself then something else would! At least this is a healthy obsession!

I too am completely obsessed with what I weigh and it too rules my mood for the day. I have lost nearly 6 stone with SW and the end is really hard and I am struggling now more than I ever have. I weigh myself morning noon and night at home. The morning weight means the most to me and if I have gained then I am upset and down for the morning :-( At night I weigh 5lbs heavier than the morning and I know this so why do I keep weighing at night?!
I'm fed up and hate being a slave to the scales, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them.
I don't care what I look like, I care more about the number on the scales, which of course is silly...it's not like we walk around with our weight flashing above us whereas I should be more bothered about what I actually LOOK like because that is real and that is what people see.

Aaarrgghhh!

Does anyone else feel like their life is becoming ruled by the scales?

My weight is so tempermental. I lose around 2lbs a month because for two weeks of the month my body is preparing itself for a period so therefore I either STS or gain. It is really disheartening.

I just feel as if everything is becoming about how much I weigh and not about how I look. Every Wednesday I put myself under massive pressure before WI. I don't drink or eat after 4pm (my WI is at 7pm) and I wear really light clothing just so I don't gain. If I STS I feel like I've let myself down (when I know I haven't in reality).

I'm considering stopping going to group and stopping weighing myself. Obviously continuing with the plan but just not putting myself under so much pressure to lose that extra pound. Maybe measure myself once a month instead.

I dunno, does anyone else feel similar?

xx

Hi Lucy, I notice that you only have a few pounds to lose until your target. Firstly well done on getting so far. Secondly, I understand how you feel.

I only wanted to lose 9lbs and because I had only a few pounds to lose, it was hard work and very slow progress. I got very obsessive and fed up if I STS or maybe put on one week.

All I can say is that if you keep on plodding away, that weight WILL come off and before you know it, you will get to your target.

Have you tried varying the type of days that you have? I used to find that I had better losses on Red days and also if I varied my days throughout the week, e.g. 2 red, 2 green, 2 Mix to Max and 1 EE.

I also used to throw in the odd day where I would have 2 superfree meals and 1 Red/Green. This seemed to boost my weight loss, as did eating lots of speed and superspeed foods.

How many syns do you use? When I was struggling to get to target, I dropped my syns to an average of 6 syns per day and ended up PUTTING ON weight! Ever since then, I upped them to an average of 11 per day and that seems to work better for me.

Don't get disheartened. You WILL get there. It may just take a little longer than you would like!

xx

I'm so glad I'm not alone.

I do SW with my mum so if we did stop going to class we have each other as support. This is also the most motivated I've ever been on any diet (most have ended after 2 weeks!).

I also weigh about 5lbs heavier in the evening but I can't go to morning groups because of work. I'm feeling pretty lousy about today because I weighed this morning and I was 10 stone 6lbs, now I'm usually 10 stone 4lbs in the morning and currently 10 stone 6.5lbs according to SW scales. I know I've put weight on this week and I'm now dreading class! I also know my scales are are accurate to SW ones.

The smal losses are good I know but because I don't have that much weight to lose I feel as if I don't get as much support from attending classes and if I don't lose for a couple of weeks I just get the same 'it's because you don't have much to lose' speech.

Maybe I'm just having a bad day.

xx

Hi Lucy, I notice that you only have a few pounds to lose until your target. Firstly well done on getting so far. Secondly, I understand how you feel.

I only wanted to lose 9lbs and because I had only a few pounds to lose, it was hard work and very slow progress. I got very obsessive and fed up if I STS or maybe put on one week.

All I can say is that if you keep on plodding away, that weight WILL come off and before you know it, you will get to your target.

Have you tried varying the type of days that you have? I used to find that I had better losses on Red days and also if I varied my days throughout the week, e.g. 2 red, 2 green, 2 Mix to Max and 1 EE.

I also used to throw in the odd day where I would have 2 superfree meals and 1 Red/Green. This seemed to boost my weight loss, as did eating lots of speed and superspeed foods.

How many syns do you use? When I was struggling to get to target, I dropped my syns to an average of 6 syns per day and ended up PUTTING ON weight! Ever since then, I upped them to an average of 11 per day and that seems to work better for me.

Don't get disheartened. You WILL get there. It may just take a little longer than you would like!

xx

I mix my days as well, probably split between red and green and throw in the odd extra easy.

I used to have about 6 syns a day and now I've increased it to 10 syns a day (it is the maximum we are allowed at my group).

I think it's water retention for me. I must hold a lot of water, but this is why for me the scales are inaccurate (well they aren't, but you know what I mean!)

I was hoping to reach target by August! As you can see I've set it to Christmas, hopefully lifting some of the pressure.

xx

Yes, I think a lot of us are inclined to obsess about our weight! I know I do and when I feel myself letting my scales affect my mood then I try and take a step back, try to stop weighing outside of my class, and try to focus on the benefits and pros of eating healthily and doing SW that are not weight related. ie, less heartburn, more energy, not going to bed feeling sick from overeating, etc, etc.

Maybe it would help to make a list and write it down (the pros - not weight related) and look at it everyday instead of going on the scales. I know you're not far from target - you WILL get there!

xx

Hi Lucy,

I so understand where you are comming from - I put on 3.5 lbs last night as I have not gone mad with takeaways etc I was fairly upset and have been grumpy both last night and today. As KevandJu5 said to you you have done really well so far and I understand that the last bit is always the hardest.

Whatever you decide to do stick with it cause nothing great was ever achieved without hard work.

Thank you for the support guys. I get weighed in an hour so will keep you posted. May feel differently next week, but even if I stop weighing myself I will always stick to plan as most of the time I really enjoy it.

xx

i'm just the same, the drinking, clothes, weight always on my mind but don't stop going to your class because i've not gone for 11 weeks due to foot op and i'm fighting a losing battle with the scales!

Every Wednesday I put myself under massive pressure before WI. I don't drink or eat after 4pm (my WI is at 7pm) and I wear really light clothing just so I don't gain.

Yep, I'm the same on a Thursday, I try and eat something light, don't eat after 2:30 (my WI is at 7pm) and try and wear the same thing each week, the lightest thing possible.

I eat the same things every Tuesday so they weigh the same!

Hi

Firstly well done for your loss to date. i just wanted to say that i have now come to terms with SW plan. I see it not as a diet anymore !!!
I now see it as my current life style. i feel that if you take the concept that its a diet out of your mind it will be much easier for you and take the pressure off. I see it as diets are not forever !! they are until you loss weight or lose interest !!. When you change your eating habits so it becomes a permenant thing (as I have done) it works far better. The good weeks will come, the bad weeks will also come along, but the thing is if you believe in the new you. Also your new eating life style you have adopted, the bad weeks won't matter anymore as you know that you are eating your way to a healthier life which the benifits are so numerous.

Phil x

Last edited:
Hi Lucy,

I am quite similar, I weigh myself all the time, I have been lucky so far each time I have weighed (daily for the last 2 weeks) I have either STS or lost. I am trying to lose 14lbs and have lost 3.5lbs so far but I know my time of the month is due any day now and for that week I am bloated, retain water and generally feel heavy. When I weigh I am usually a couple of pounds heavier too. I think I am going to try not to worry about what the scales say next week as it is a natural and rational reason behind the extra lbs and it isn't that I am getting "fat" again. It is just what comes with being a female unfortunately lol!

Good luck with your further weightloss x

Back