Before, during and (eventually) after...Paul's open and honest account.

I wonder if it's because we don't have those things we crave. A littke bit in your syns won't hurt. It's strange how sometimes we want to revert. As you know I've had a bit of a struggle lately but I rewrote why I wanted to lose weight and I found that I added to the list. Maybe give it a go.
You've already come so far and your doing really well so keep going.
Good luck for weigh in tonight.

Actually, I've recently read about this theory that might shed some light on why we crave the sweets, the junk food etc. Supernormal stimulus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Mind you, this is quite new research and not something that's generally agreed, but it certainly provides some food for thought.

As for the exercise, I recommend Youtube. There are sooo many workouts out there for all different levels of fitness/difficulty, you can just pick whatever suits you best. For example, I'm currently doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. That's quite a challenging workout, but there are easier ones too, such as Leslie Sansone's 1 mile walk. Whatever you feel would be good for you to do, I'm sure you can find. And push yourself once you start! In the beginning, I was pretty much fit to collapse halfway through the warmup of 30DS and could barely manage a couple reps of the exercises that followed. Now after 15 days I can manage most of it! Get started, grit your teeth and tell yourself you MUST do this. And we'll be here to support you every day!

22nd Jan

Hmmm..Just one pound lost ? Gutted !! Was expecting a three pound loss and hoping for a five! - What happened ?

Although my consultant mentioned that the SW eating plan is designed for you to lose between one and a half and two pounds a week, I've still got over four stone to lose, I should be losing more than a pound a week at this stage. Once home this, not surprisingly for me, did induce a mini binge which included three pieces of toast with spread and jam (white bread), a Kit-Kat chunky (which didn't taste any where near as good as it has done in the past), Curly Wurly a Hi Fi bar and a mini NuMe bakewell and mini chocolate slice. Grrr @ me...am I ever going to be satisfied with a weight loss number?

I'm putting it down to the fact that I've consciously stopped drinking water this week...I had been drinking around two - three litres a day (every day) up until last Tuesday, don't think I've had a single glass all week so, despite the cold, I'll be drinking said water again, see if that's the problem. I guesstimate the binge was 100 syns (a weeks worth!) but I'm just going to forget it, done and dusted and today's a new day and the start of a new week...although I am a little annoyed at myself, sigh.

I must make an effort to begin exercising, to do something. I have the You Tube app on the Xbox 360 so I can watch the videos on my TV, I will take a look at what's available and chose.

So, I'm honest when I say I'm really upset with just a one-pound loss. I know a loss is a loss but sometimes saying that....well, it's just not enough. A lb a week for forty-two weeks isn't all bad eh? I'm just being impatient, I want this transformation to happen now not in forty-two weeks time. However, I have time and that's the point- I should practice what I preach, it doesn't matter how long it takes, as long as it happens.

What about an exercise bike Paul? I couldn't do without mine now, and I was the original couch potato! :)

Definately keep drinking water and you're next weigh in will surprise you. Well done on the 1lb loss, I giggled at the losing a lb, expecting a 3 and hoping for a 5!! ;)..sounds just like me!

1lb a week until the next festive season is approx a 7 stone loss!!!!....so think where you will be on the scales come late summer or autumn?

Keep at it :)

22nd Jan

Hmmm..Just one pound lost ? Gutted !! Was expecting a three pound loss and hoping for a five! - What happened ?

Although my consultant mentioned that the SW eating plan is designed for you to lose between one and a half and two pounds a week, I've still got over four stone to lose, I should be losing more than a pound a week at this stage. Once home this, not surprisingly for me, did induce a mini binge which included three pieces of toast with spread and jam (white bread), a Kit-Kat chunky (which didn't taste any where near as good as it has done in the past), Curly Wurly a Hi Fi bar and a mini NuMe bakewell and mini chocolate slice. Grrr @ me...am I ever going to be satisfied with a weight loss number?

I'm putting it down to the fact that I've consciously stopped drinking water this week...I had been drinking around two - three litres a day (every day) up until last Tuesday, don't think I've had a single glass all week so, despite the cold, I'll be drinking said water again, see if that's the problem. I guesstimate the binge was 100 syns (a weeks worth!) but I'm just going to forget it, done and dusted and today's a new day and the start of a new week...although I am a little annoyed at myself, sigh.

I must make an effort to begin exercising, to do something. I have the You Tube app on the Xbox 360 so I can watch the videos on my TV, I will take a look at what's available and chose.

So, I'm honest when I say I'm really upset with just a one-pound loss. I know a loss is a loss but sometimes saying that....well, it's just not enough. A lb a week for forty-two weeks isn't all bad eh? I'm just being impatient, I want this transformation to happen now not in forty-two weeks time. However, I have time and that's the point- I should practice what I preach, it doesn't matter how long it takes, as long as it happens.

I think one pound loss is brilliant! Stop being so hard on yourself... I have a load of weight to lose but a pound a week would be fine by me :) you're doing good, give yourself a bit of slack and some praise, don't be your biggest critic :) x

Very honest - I don't know quite what to say to help though. I began to notice a repeated binging behaviour earlier 2012, with 17st10lbs showing in April. I joined SW in June knowing I had to do something, Half hearted, with decent losses matched with decent gains, by my first weigh in Oct I was only 5.5lbs less than my starting weight. Really annoyed I vowed there'd be no more messing around. During Thanskgiving I gained 5, and over Christmas 2, otherwise it's been nothing but losses that total 1st13.5lbs. I think sometimes we really need to get mad with ourselves, fed up, to accelerate over the speed bump in our journey that these cravings are.

I completed an essay on obesity two weeks ago for my Sociology of Health and Illness module - there were some interesting points, such as weight gain through social networking and the huge impact that the psycho-social has on us when it comes to our decisions and how we feel. I would recommend a little research on that to anyone, I know it helped me to better understand myself.

Oi mr! so you've had a binge we've all done it. How come you've stopped drinking water? Because of the cold? I drink a lot of hot water- strange I know but it keeps me going. Also do you keep a really honest food diary?

Congratulations on your loss Paul. I know you wanted more but it's a loss, and that's why we are all here.

Keep going my lovely - you will get a big loss soon and that will pick you up again!

Don't you dare give up either - I will hunt you down!!! X

22nd Jan

Your right, a pound a week for a long time is loads. You need to think Paul, and this is something my counsellor said to me, you didn't take a few months to get this way so it's not going to be instant. Have you set yourself some mini goals? When I think about how much I want to lose in total it really bums me out but mini goals really spur me on. Like I have a stone goal by valentine's day, no reason as such but I have a job interview the day after and I think it's achievable!

With the binges, in your above posts, your right some of us have addictive things (I study psychology so know alll about this) but it's about overcoming those and dealing with them. As you did with the smoking! Try and write down when you want to binge/crave? Is there a trigger? You need to find out what it is and then you can tackle it :)

Good luck for the rest of the week and keep us updated x

That's a really good idea, write down why you want to binge before you do it.

16th Jan

There are a few programmes on the TV at the moment about weigh losses etc..Embarrassing (fat) bodies on Monday night, then that programme filmed in the Sunderland hospital's fat clinic been on tonight. Not sure if I'm weird by believing it's good (for me) to watch these. It's a huge reminder of how I could easily get if I'm not careful...I do sit there and wonder how in the hell do people let themselves get so overweight. Ok, so I started at 22 stone but I'm quite tall with a big torso and you'd never guess I weighed that much (cliche' being 'I carry it well') but I just couldn't imagine actually being another 10 or 15 or even 20 stone heavier. But then again, I can get very..um, what's the word?..Very, 'Judgemental' I suppose.

The 29 yr old that was on last week, who weighed 45 odd stone..He's telling the cameras and us, the viewers, how good he's been and that he's managed to lose three stone in twelve weeks!? Eh?! On one hand he should be applauded but surely if he was really serious about wanting to lose it (as he claimed) he can't be being that strict to lose just 3lb a week for 12 weeks, especially as he's 30 stone overweight. Or the woman who was on last night who had a number of medical complications because of her weight..She was complaining and saying how upset she was by it all and how she wanted so much to be better (she wasn't that old)- she goes away and comes back six months later having lost a stone! Again, eh? Then again, perhaps I watch these programmes with my 'all or nothing' head on eh? Perhaps I'm too judgemental sometimes, well when it comes to these programmes, or more so some of the people on them.

:) :)

Hi Paul

I'm new to this site and have been reading your diary from last year. Really inspirational and insightful. I did however flinch a little at your comments above about other peoples motivation to loose and think you may be being a little judgmental. I've been watching those programs and also looked on with astonishment about how overweight those people have become. I am very much like you, when I focus on something, its hard to get me off track however I need to firstly get into that zone and getting into the zone is often the problem, you have to stop making up excuses for not doing things and just do it, its psychological for me. Remember we may not be as large as these people but we have been just as negligent in that we have allowed ourselves to also over indulge or not kept ourselves active. I always say "there for the grace of god" because who knows where we would be if our circumstances were different ie redundancy, loss of a loved one etc. Sorry a little morbid but I look at things holicitically.

I am currently around 5 stone heavier than I have been all my life. I know exactly how I got here and can still hear all the excuses I made for not doing something about it before getting to this size. I read somewhere back in your diary how you also struggled with your relationship with food and how difficult this was also. So we should not forget how difficult it has been for us to work out why we have become overweight and the struggles trying to loose it.

Sorry to be on my soap box but you seem to be a reflective guy and I hope you will not take offense. Anyway keep up the good work and continue to motivate us all.

Hi Paul

I'm new to this site and have been reading your diary from last year. Really inspirational and insightful. I did however flinch a little at your comments above about other peoples motivation to loose and think you may be being a little judgmental.

I am currently around 5 stone heavier than I have been all my life. I know exactly how I got here and can still hear all the excuses I made for not doing something about it before getting to this size. I read somewhere back in your diary how you also struggled with your relationship with food and how difficult this was also. So we should not forget how difficult it has been for us to work out why we have become overweight and the struggles trying to loose it.

@ Jude..I take your point totally...I did say in that entry of mine that I can be, by my own admittance, judgemental. It just annoys me a little when people are being given the professional opportunity to help them and, more so, when they say they are going to do this for their children's sake. He says he will lose the weight so he can be around for them (his children) and teach them good habits, and doesn't want to put them in the same situation as he was, losing his father at a young age because of obesity...but then turn around and make a half-hearted effort...what example does that set? But I'm not here to argue (not that there's anything to argue about) just wanted to make myself clear :)

God knows I know how hard all this is...Look at me this week, I'm in that 'danger' zone I've written about before and I'm having a shocking week! I know I'm there, I know I'm at risk of stopping, I know this is the time where I've got to be super tough but nope, true to form I stray completely off the straight and narrow....Why have I done this? If my weight loss last week had been 3 or more pounds I doubt I would have. Rightly or wrongly, I saw 1lb loss as a failure and therein began the [mini] spiral. It could be argued that I used it as an excuse to fall off the wagon, if it was then it wasn't a conscious excuse. However, not all doom and gloom because today has been a much better day...

Hi Fi bar for Brekki
Pasta salad for lunch
Stew and potatoes for dinner (I cooked it all day in slow cooker)

Syns have been a pack of quavers and some corn flour to thicken aforementioned stew. I've also drunk a fair bit of water.

It's so weird feeling like I do, that I could just go and raid the cupboards/fridge at any time. I'm just having to keep telling myself not to. It's horrible feeling this way, especially compared to how I was this time last week. I'm actually full up from dinner yet I still want to go and eat rubbish!

I have made it through to final interview for one of the jobs I've applied for - that takes place tomorrow at 2 pm..It's nice that I'v lost 30lbs though as I tried my nicest suit on this morning at it now fits me properly!

Going to thank you all again for your continued support, I can't thank you enough to be honest.

It just annoys me a little when people are being given the professional opportunity to help them and, more so, when they say they are going to do this for their children's sake. He says he will lose the weight so he can be around for them (his children) and teach them good habits, and doesn't want to put them in the same situation as he was, losing his father at a young age because of obesity...but then turn around and make a half-hearted effort...what example does that set?

Hi Paul, you're absolutely right, I know what you mean. I know that if I had that opportunity I would make sure I gave my all because you dont get certain opportunities all the time and how great would that be. Unfortunately there are many out there who let opportunities slip through their hands all the time for what ever reason. Way of the world I guess.

Anyway sorry to hear you are feeling deflated but 1lb is 1lb less which is better that an increase so you didnt go completely off track. It is really hard to stay focused especially when you know you are trying hard to eat the right things and it dosnt show up as a weight loss, but like you said you tried on your nicest suit and it fit perfectly, thats a great achievement. I cant wait to get my favorite size 14 work suit back on, that would be phenomenal.

Anyway, dont be too disheartened and good luck with your interview tomorrow.

......."Originally Posted by porkypaul
It just annoys me a little when people are being given the professional opportunity to help them and, more so, when they say they are going to do this for their children's sake. He says he will lose the weight so he can be around for them (his children) and teach them good habits, and doesn't want to put them in the same situation as he was, losing his father at a young age because of obesity...but then turn around and make a half-hearted effort...what example does that set?".....

I don't think any of those people chose to eat like that, the same has alcoholics and drug addicts its not a conscious choice it's usually done with the awareness of the dangers but these type of people have addictive traits and obviously don't know when enough is enough whether its food, alcohol or drugs.

Aren't we all addicts of something?

Sometime reality needs to come and smack us on the upside of the mouth good and proper a few times before it sinks in what damage we are doing to ourselves and that we have to change. I'm 7 and a half stones overweight I've lost count the amount of times I've said I'm going to do this for my children or I don't want my children following my example and being influenced by what I do. But when that urge comes, that craving that will not go away the type that occupies your every thought no matter how many times you go through the reasons of why you are not going to cave in, sometimes, just sometimes you give in and I suppose we all do. No many people quit smoking and stay quit at first attempt...it is the same thing for the very obese.

I think no matter what everyone needs to be kinder to themselves and remember as long as you keep trying you will eventually succeed, maybe not today or tomorrow but you will succeed but only as long as you keep trying. That's what we are doing every day and that's what those obese people are doing on the TV too, and we are in no way qualified to judge :) x

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, its one of our divine rights as a human being :)

I think that sometimes people can get defensive because they dont want to face up to reality. There are emotional reasons why people binge eat - sometimes its too painful for them to face the emotional side of are overeating so they blame "addiction".

Keep posting Paul, as I throughly enjoy your diary.

Been away Derby, was all a bit last minute lol

Only just got in, too late for WI - not the worst thing lol as had a nice relaxed weekend.

** Note to self...Stop posting my thoughts/opinions - how dare I have an opinion eh?

Hi Paul

I also noticed that you have not been posting. I look forward to reading your honest and open account of your journey as it always spurs me on and gets me thinking. Sorry if my post offended you in anyway but it was not intentional. As Laura stated everyone is entitled to their opinion and we dont all have to agree. Discussion is good however because it gives us different perspectives and expereinces. Still dosnt mean we all have to agree.

You keep doing what you like and it does not matter what me or anyone else thinks. If we dont like it we dont have to read it basically. :kissass:

Back