Beginner - questions??

xoxo

Hi all! Been debating what diet to start for for weeks now, and having always wanted to try an VLCD diet i thought exante sounded good - plus it has the porridge option :)!
While I was thinking of doing it, I've been on this site reading all the different forums and getting all the info. You all seem so friendly, helpful and supportve, so I wanted to join in!
I ordered the pack of 50 porridges, and the 3 packs of water flavours as i like flavoured water -- and as i read on here, it's ok to hav 3 porridges a day and to have the tesco replacement bars.. so what i plan to do is have 2 porridges a day and 1 tesco bar.
I'm not a big fan of shakes, even the full fat ones and all the diet soups i've tried i really don't like - so really happy they have the porridge option.. otherwise i was going to do 2 shakes, 1 bar.
Anyway (sorry it's long) I hope to be starting on tuesday or wednesday and have a few questions before i start..
I understand you can have coke zero, black coffee and other flavoured drinks - as long as it doesn't have citric acid?
Are there any other ingredients I have to look out for to check it's not in it?
What about sugar, do the drinks have to be sugar free?
Also is there a caffeine limit? Could you have as much diet coke/coffee/tea as you like - and no milk?
And is there any limit to fizzy drinks? -- I was thinking to add the drink flavours to sparkling water? is this ok, and would i have to limit it?
Also can you add as much cinammon/nutmeg you want to add flavour to porridge?
Last question, lol.. so sorry! What sweetners can you add - is canderel tablets ok? and do you have to limit them too?

Any answers would be soo so appreciated - Thanks so much :)!

xoxo said:
Hi all! Been debating what diet to start for for weeks now, and having always wanted to try an VLCD diet i thought exante sounded good - plus it has the porridge option :)!
While I was thinking of doing it, I've been on this site reading all the different forums and getting all the info. You all seem so friendly, helpful and supportve, so I wanted to join in!
I ordered the pack of 50 porridges, and the 3 packs of water flavours as i like flavoured water -- and as i read on here, it's ok to hav 3 porridges a day and to have the tesco replacement bars.. so what i plan to do is have 2 porridges a day and 1 tesco bar.
I'm not a big fan of shakes, even the full fat ones and all the diet soups i've tried i really don't like - so really happy they have the porridge option.. otherwise i was going to do 2 shakes, 1 bar.
Anyway (sorry it's long) I hope to be starting on tuesday or wednesday and have a few questions before i start..
I understand you can have coke zero, black coffee and other flavoured drinks - as long as it doesn't have citric acid?
What about sugar, do the drinks have to be sugar free?
Also is there a caffeine limit? Could you have as much diet coke/coffee/tea as you like - and no milk?
And is there any limit to fizzy drinks? -- I was thinking to add the drink flavours to sparkling water? is this ok, and would i have to limit it?
Also can you add as much cinammon/nutmeg you want to add flavour to porridge?
Last question, lol.. so sorry! What sweetners can you add - is canderel tablets ok? and do you have to limit them too?

Hey, congrats on starting! Im on week 2 and absolutely love it. Coke zero is fine, and as far as im aware theres no limit of 'allowed' drinks. Theres a list on stickies which lists which are allowed. Be careful to choose the zero option as most diet options contain citric acid which could bring u out of ketosis :)
spices in ur porridge are also ok. As for sweeteners, its my understanding that tablet form is fine but not the granulated type, altho dont quote me lol
hope this helps and goodluck with the start :) x.

Hi, I dont have the answers to any of your questions as I am also new to this and am literally just doing the shakes and water but just wanted to say good luck for when you start x

What about sugar, do the drinks have to be sugar free? Yes, or your calorie intake could rocket
Also is there a caffeine limit? Could you have as much diet coke/coffee/tea as you like - and no milk? As much as you like some people have a wee drop of skimmed milk in coffee etc but if you can take it black all the better
And is there any limit to fizzy drinks? -- I was thinking to add the drink flavours to sparkling water? is this ok, and would i have to limit it? No limit but some people think fizzy drinks give them the munchies more, personally I find it quashes them
Also can you add as much cinammon/nutmeg you want to add flavour to porridge? I believe so but its gorgeous without it
Last question, lol.. so sorry! What sweetners can you add - is canderel tablets ok? and do you have to limit them too? So long as its tablet form youre fine

Welcome to Exante :)

Good luck - the porridge is fab with cinnamon or nutmeg i have it with cinnamon as its good to speed up metabolism and for circulation - great in this cold weather. This is the first VLCD i am trying but my friend has done CD, LL and Exante and has said this is as good and cheaper - providing you keep up some morale support from this site and also do the "coming off" properly.

shrinkme84 - thanks so much :)! I'm going to e-mail exante just to make sure.. so glad you are enjoying it - really hoping I will too!
moomoo13, starlight - thank you!
dh21abc - great, so glad to hear that the cinammon is good for you too as I love that taste.. yes I'm already love it on here, and the support is great!
Good luck to all of you too - and i'll post what exante replys :)!

I have granulated sweetener in my shakes and have had no problem with the weight loss.
I checked the packaging and the contents are exactly the same as the sweetner tablets so not sure why people are saying you can't have granulated????

Thanks starlight - so glad to hear that!
leslabelle - hmm that is really strange! If it doesn't get you out of ketosis i guess it doesn't really matter, but yes starlight you are right because my friend who did the cambridge diet, was advised the same thing.. better to be safe that sorry i suppose!
Thanks for all your responses - just looked on exante and it advices only black coffee, water and green tea for total solution.. but i read on here that fizzy drinks without sugar and no citric acid are ok - so debating what to do. Any advice? does it affect your ketosis? I was thinking of having maybe 2 glasses of coke zero a day.. and some fizzy water but they say thats ok..

Ohhh and i just got my delivery and looking and the drink flavours - the carb content is so high! I don't understand why they would do that, seeing as your meant to be able to have them on totalsolutions which is ketosis... do any of you drink this? has it effected anything? so much for drinking flavoured water.. i probs can only have a glass a day now - robinsons for example is way less carbs for the same amount/why would exante do that? (sorry for the rant :rolleyes:!)

Apparantly the carb level on the water flavours are badly done. Theyre something like the equivalent of the gross carbs when they should be net - I know thats not right but that idea lol

Ive never understood why Exante havent addressed it because it caused so much concern when they were brought out. But people do use them and theyre fine :)

Exante say (and I expect the others do too) that the carb content is higher in powdered sweetner than tablets. Tablets are fine for shakes though so you dont have to miss out :)

Ohh.. thank you so much starlight!! You have really put my mind at rest now, that is really weird why they havn't sorted that out yet.. Say if I wasn't on here, I would of had no idea and just thought that those were the right figures.. but so happy now :)!

Ah okay, that's the explanation then - glad we can all enjoy tablet sweetners.. black coffee would be dull without one ;)!

Oh quick question if anyones on, am about to pop to shops - is it any Marigold bouillon powder we can drink? or is there only some.. thank uu!

leslabelle said:
I have granulated sweetener in my shakes and have had no problem with the weight loss.
I checked the packaging and the contents are exactly the same as the sweetner tablets so not sure why people are saying you can't have granulated????

All the VLCDs say the same tablet not granulated so there must be some difference

Starlight said:
All the VLCD companies say not to have granulated sweetner, its not just people on here. Its not advised on a VLCD

Lol should read on before posting now I sound like a parrot lol

xoxo said:
Oh quick question if anyones on, am about to pop to shops - is it any Marigold bouillon powder we can drink? or is there only some.. thank uu!

Marigold Swiss veg reduced salt purple tub

lol - still appreciated though :D!
Oh great, thanks for telling me - I wasn't sure, was nearly gonna buy the original. Is there a reason that that one is ok? Thanks x

xoxo said:
lol - still appreciated though :D!
Oh great, thanks for telling me - I wasn't sure, was nearly gonna buy the original. Is there a reason that that one is ok? Thanks x

The reduced salt is better as too much salt can make you retain water and affect your losses

Sorry Starlight if i posted duff information then.
I didn't know about the fact that granulated wasn't allowed and checked the ingredients when i first started Exante back in October and could see no difference hence i've been using it.
I think i'll keep using it now as it seems to have been ok for me.

XOXO - just ignore my previous post then.............i'm obviously not correct.
Sorry

Back