Benefits of Starvation!!

fatpossum

Silver Member
I have been reading bits and pieces in magazines and the press about the benefits of starvation. Apparently there is evidence to show that eating a low calorie diet can lead to longevity!!

I have also read that there have been studies carried out into those who were Japanese Prisoners of War and suffered starvation but inspite of this they went on to live long lives (those who survived!). Apparently the body benefits from not having to constantly digest and process food.:party0023:

So not only will we all be slim at the end of this episode in our lives, we will go on forever!!

Yes, it activates sirt1 I think. Something like that anyway without googling :D

No idea what it's all about except I think it's a protein, or could it be a gene. Can't remember. I used to know, but failing memory and all that:eek:

I know there are people who keep to a very low calorie diet for longetivity reasons.

They look ghastly skinny:eek:

No idea what it's all about except I think it's a protein, or could it be a gene. Can't remember. I used to know, but failing memory and all that:eek:

I know there are people who keep to a very low calorie diet for longetivity reasons.

They look ghastly skinny:eek:

I wondered why Posh was so skinny. Now we all know! LOL

Dizzy x

Sirt1 does get a mention there somewhere :D

There's a diet called the JUDDD (Johnson Up Day Down Day) diet that has the benefits of sirt1. It seems a good diet, though some might call it faddy.

Basically, you famine ever other day (your Down Day). Most people struggle with that, but Johnson found out that you could get away with approx 500 calories one day, then the next day you eat what you like (your up day).

It's relatively easy for us ex-VLCDers who are used to a 500 cal day. Others like it as they can get through that day knowing they can eat what they want the next. Then of course, the Up Day is great fun ;)

Beside the Sirt1 benefit, they like it as they feel it is natural. Our ancestors would have probably eaten little on days, and more on others. It also preserves your metabolism as you aren't reducing your cals for long enough to send you body into panic mode.

I'm on a forum with loads of JUDDD dieters and they love the diet, feel very well on it and most are reporting good losses too.

Johnson also says you can just have a DD (down day) on Monday, Wed and Fri, thus leaving the weekends free and still get good losses

It sounds fun :D but, I do have a few reservations. Though a lot of people report that after the first couple of weeks eating unhealthily on their Up Days, they did start moving onto healthy food. Others say they just eat rubbish on the UD:(

In our culture we are expected to eat 'normally' every day. Having a diet where you can stuff yourself every other day might night be the best way to go.

Lots of people report a plateau around week 3-4, though it does move after that.

When you get to your goal weight, you continue with the diet, but move your Down days up to 1,000 calories.

I think I prefer to just eat normally every day, even if it means I'm going to die a bit younger;)

Sirt1 does get a mention there somewhere :D

There's a diet called the JUDDD (Johnson Up Day Down Day) diet that has the benefits of sirt1. It seems a good diet, though some might call it faddy.

Basically, you famine ever other day (your Down Day). Most people struggle with that, but Johnson found out that you could get away with approx 500 calories one day, then the next day you eat what you like (your up day).

It's relatively easy for us ex-VLCDers who are used to a 500 cal day. Others like it as they can get through that day knowing they can eat what they want the next. Then of course, the Up Day is great fun ;)

Beside the Sirt1 benefit, they like it as they feel it is natural. Our ancestors would have probably eaten little on days, and more on others. It also preserves your metabolism as you aren't reducing your cals for long enough to send you body into panic mode.

I'm on a forum with loads of JUDDD dieters and they love the diet, feel very well on it and most are reporting good losses too.

Johnson also says you can just have a DD (down day) on Monday, Wed and Fri, thus leaving the weekends free and still get good losses

It sounds fun :D but, I do have a few reservations. Though a lot of people report that after the first couple of weeks eating unhealthily on their Up Days, they did start moving onto healthy food. Others say they just eat rubbish on the UD:(

In our culture we are expected to eat 'normally' every day. Having a diet where you can stuff yourself every other day might night be the best way to go.

Lots of people report a plateau around week 3-4, though it does move after that.

When you get to your goal weight, you continue with the diet, but move your Down days up to 1,000 calories.

I think I prefer to just eat normally every day, even if it means I'm going to die a bit younger;)

Thanks for that! Sounds like it might be worth investigating!

Stick with CD Bex and get that weight off quick;)

Just spent an hour checking out the Ezra Klein site that Wannabeslim recommended. Facinating stuff. If you haven't had a look yet, I recommend it. Also while you're there, in the 'update' section click on to the highlighted name 'Lindsay' for another interesting article and comments.

Back