Best way for me to lose weight?

jesstonto

Hello!

I'm 18 years old and weight 130lbs. I am 5'4. That gives me a BMI of around 22 - which I am aware is healthy. However, I am not happy with how my body looks, I am a size 12 and I would like to be an 8. I would ideally like to lose 14lbs, but no more as I still want to have curves! A weight of 115lbs is still in the healthy/normal BMI range for my height.

I am vegetarian and I would said my diet is very inconsistent.. I never eat the same thing every day. I only drink water - no coffee, fizzy drinks, alcohol etc.

How can I lose the weight permanently?

Thanks
Jess

Hey Jess,

I'm trying to shift a similar amount of weight to go from a 12/14 to a 10. I'm nearly 6ft so my current weight is healthy, but I was much more comfortable and confident when I was lighter.

How about we team up, try to eat healthily and tell each other about what we eat / exercise? That way we can give each other advice.

Snakes and Ladders x

Hey Jess,

I'm trying to shift a similar amount of weight to go from a 12/14 to a 10. I'm nearly 6ft so my current weight is healthy, but I was much more comfortable and confident when I was lighter.

How about we team up, try to eat healthily and tell each other about what we eat / exercise? That way we can give each other advice.

Snakes and Ladders x

Hey! That sounds great! I see you have lost 18lbs already! Brilliant. x

Yay!

I'm 24 and female btw, so you know who you're talking to :)
I also dislike having the same thing twice - the only thing I have regularly, and which has made my weight drop off, is whey protein shake, which I buy at Holland and Barrett or Sainsburys. It's a little pricey but definitely worth it: it's super tasty and keeps you full for ages.

I try to do some exercise most days, where feasible.

Ok here goes. So today I have been a bit good and a bit bad.

FOOD:
Breakfast: Resisted continental breakfast :D, had a strawberry shake instead, blended with frozen berries. It was lovely actually! Tastes like dessert.
Lunch: Shake, ryvita, ham, mustard, tomato
Tea: 2 bites from my mum's cake, a peach
Dinner: 2 scrambled eggs with onion, ham and 2 ryvitas, also 2 post-dinner espresso with a fun-size twix and a ferrero rocher...whoops! :break_diet:
...and now I'm about to go to the pub to see a friend I haven't seen since I was 14, so we'll see how that goes, booze-wise (my downfall unfortunately!)...

EXERCISE:
2.5 hour hike up and down a hill/mountain - maybe -600cals?

What's your plan of action, Jess? It can be the hardest to lose those last few pesky pounds, but you can do it!

xxx S&L

Sounds like you are on track! I don't really have a plan of action - hence why I posted here for some ideas! Maybe calorie counting? x

Yeah calorie counting works if you haven't got loads to lose.

That's sort of what I'm doing, and I'm using the shakes to have low calorie breakfasts / lunches, then I can eat a normal meal at dinner time, and still have snacks and chocolate. I try to eat less carb, and I try to eat around 1500cals and do some exercise every day - that's about as organised as I get!

BTW had two glasses of wine and a whiskey mint julep cocktail y'day - whoops! :break_diet:

Ooooh although I just searched online, and that apparently only comes to about 400 cals for my (very very fun) night of booze, so that's not too bad! Although I am now soooorely tempted by a continental breakfast...surely one wouldn't hurt...? :eek:

What I love though about exercise is that it's completely fine to eat/drink rubbish occasionally and still lose weight, so maybe I will have a big carby breakfast and then go for a run :)

xxx

Umm calorie counting works even if you have got lots to lose! By counting calories you get the freedom to eat the things you like whilst being sensible about it. You just need to make sure that you are still eating enough calories, you shouldn't be going under 1200 calories. Check out myfitnesspal.com if you are going to calorie count

Sooo I'm about to start day 3! I'm eating 1200 a day which should mean I lose 14lbs by september!

Day one: 1400
Day two: 1300

As you can see its not going well haha! I think my problem is lack of the right foods around me (I ended up having mash and pie for lunch because that's all we had in the house!), saying no to food (dad offered me cheese and biscuits) and eating late at night (I finish work at 10 and always feel the need to eat)

It seems to me like you're doing well, no? If you've just been eating 1300-1400 cals, then you're bound to lose weight, as you basal metabolic rate is more than that.

I do the same as you by the way - I end up having unhealthy meals and then I feel I have to "atone" for it later. But it's a question of availability. If you're out for dinner at a pub, there's not much you can have other than fish and chips, pies, etc.

I try to make up for it by having low calorie shakes for the other meals and doing exercise.

For example: yesterday I went on a day trip. Had shake for breakfast, then a HUGE portion of fish and chips for lunch, then went on a 2-hr walk and just had some veggie-rich chicken broth for dinner. Fish and chips has about 1500 cals (HEART ATTACK! ARGHHHHH!), shake 175 and soup 200. So although it was "bad" of me, at least I was still just below 2000. Plus a 2-hr strenuous hill walk should burn about 4-500cals. So at least not a "gain" there.

Today I felt guilty, so after my breakfast shake I went for a 6-mile jog (in the rain! go me!), which burns about 800 cals. I also had shake for lunch and intend to have a veg stir fry for dinner, so that should more than make up for the other day.

Not sure it also made up for the curry I had on Tuesday night - my boyfriend wanted to take me out to celebrate that I was back in the country, and who was I to refuse, right? Lol.

I reckon it's all about balancing out your choices. And trying to stop being "all or nothing": previously, after a big diet blow-out like the fish and chips, I would have figured "oh well, it's all wasted now anyway", and I would have ordered pudding or cake or something.

It's a constant struggle! You're doing great though, Jess! Keep it up.

xxx

Last edited:
It IS a constant struggle sometimes. And the rainy weather's such a prompt to eat starchy, comforting foods. We can all do it!

Thanks for the replies. I managed 5 days on my 1200 diet - weighed myself on Friday and I'd put on weight. So the diet went out the window this weekend - I have been to McDonalds twice in the past 24hrs and just ate profiteroles and a doghnut...

Now what haha?!

Did you stick to the 1200 completely? Count and measure everything, not guess?

Oh no hon, I'm sorry, that's really demotivating, isn't it?

But surely it isn't possible? Unless it's your time of the month maybe? Did you weight yourself at the same time as last time? Cos time of day can make a huge difference - I always weigh myself first thing in the morning, after a wee (sorry if TMI, but a full bladder is like 1.5lb!) and before showering / breakfast / drinking anything ...

If you feel like trying again, maybe post a full food diary? Often there are hidden traps...

SL xxx

To be honest, you really shouldn't guess things, you'd be surprised just how out you can be! I find that if calorie counting is going to work then I've got to actually count everything properly. I use myfitnesspal.com

There's a whole calorie counting section on minimins too

To be honest, you really shouldn't guess things, you'd be surprised just how out you can be! I find that if calorie counting is going to work then I've got to actually count everything properly. I use myfitnesspal.com

There's a whole calorie counting section on minimins too

I think I'm pretty accurate on it all.. and always round up.. say if something I am eating is 239 i'd put it as 250!

Fair enough. Just saying in my opinion if you don't weigh things and stuff, it's easy to lose track. But like I said, just saying what works for me.

Thanks Caroline :)

I'm sooo annoyed with myself. I went out with friends who were drinking last night. I don't drink so I ate instead. I had chips, onions rings, and two desserts :(

Back