BMI v reality

This is interesting to me as I am slowly (very slowly..) getting closer to where I wanna be. I'm 5'6 and started this at 19 1/2 stone. I'm now just under 14 stone. Went to see my doctor on Monday and had a little discussion. She is great and she is trying to keep me from obsessing. I think the top end of my healthy range is 11 stone but I want to go down to 9 1/2 or 10 at the most. Not sure that is possible and as I can't remember when I was that skinny last I don;t know how I would feel. I would like to be a size 10/12 but realise that that might be a bit excessive..not sure really. Have been thinking about this for a little while and the talk with my doctor made me see some sense. I guess 10 1/2 stone would be cool...
Just wait and see how I get on...

xxx

Thats fantastic Seaneen - really goes to show its all just numbers!

Wheni did Lighterlife i lost 3 stone and was 10st 12lb at the end. Im only 5'3 and looked really gaunt and my face looked much older. I think 11st is ok for me as I have an athletic build and when I lose too much just look ill.

I don't think the BMI takes large boobies into account!

The low end of my BMI is 7 stone 6 pounds - I will look completely emaciated if I get that thin, not to mention the fact that one gust of wind and I'll probably blow away!

I am currently at the high end of overweight, wearing size 12 jeans and as happy as can be (if I ignore the stress of kitchen being fitted).

Likewise my low end is 7st 5lbs, which, for me, would look awful. I also have big boobies! I'm aiming for 8 stone, but to be honest, I think even that is a bit too light. I'll get to 8st 7lbs (I hope) and see what that feels like.

The BMI seems to think that if you're short, you're built like a little bird. Some people are naturally small boned, but hell, I'm really not. My hips and ass are big, always have been no matter how little I weighed! And I have whopping 36D bangers!

How can you be overweight and too thin?!?!?!?

The BMI scale does not take into account your body composition - ie - how much lean muscle you have on your body.

Athletes, footballers, body builders, etc are all over weight and / or obese according to BMI and yet I bet a lot of you would all be happy with one at home ;):D

Personally I would not pay too much attention to the BMI but more towards how you feel & look (get an honest friend to help with this). Just use the BMI as a guide and trust your instincts for the rest.

Back