BOOK CLUB - DISCUSSION STARTED. The Bonesetters Daughter by Amy Tan

Cheb

Gold Member
Hello Everybody, Welcome to The Book Club.

We are about to start a new book which will discuss in about 3 weeks or when everybody is finished! The discussion will be nothing heavy I promise, just everybody saying what they thought about it.

This book has been suggested by Matty, hopefully lots of you will join in and enjoy a good read.....helps keep our mind off food!!!!!

The Bonesetter's Daughter By Amy Tan;

tells the intertwined stories of a mother-daughter pair. Ruth Young, a middle-aged Chinese-American, has trouble relating to her elderly China-born mother, LuLing Young. LuLing is suffering from memory loss: a symptom of dementia, or Alzheimer's, perhaps.

But when LuLing tells Ruth the story of her past, Ruth finds the power to understand and forgive her mother. LuLing recalls her life in the village called Immortal Heart, brought up by her Precious Auntie, more than a nursemaid to her. Precious Auntie, the daughter of a famous bonesetter, found herself plagued by misfortune and ghosts from the past. LuLing fears the effect of such bad luck will filter down through many generations. This was why Ruth's mother burdened her with insecurities and paranoia all through her childhood.

I've done it!!! I've made time, just been on Amazon, found the book and got it for £6.74 (£2.95 was P&P)....bargain:D

Should be here in 48 hours.....:)

Hi

Great to have you all joining in with this book. Sounds like you're all ready to get on with it. Not got mine yet, sounds like I need to get a move on or I'll be the last to finish as usual.

We'll discuss on this thread when we've all finished, better wait and see how weighty it is before setting a date fo discussion!

Does anyone know if you can buy it in the shops at all

I shall have a look in wh smiths. Not sure if its a new book or not.

Love BUsy XX

Hello Busy, no it is not a new book, a few years old at least.
And no, I don't think it is at all heavy, and will I think mean a good deal to anyone who is a mother and a daughter and in particular anyone who had/has a difficult relationship, but ultimately it is a very human story I think.
And no Lisa, it is not scary, I hope you will like reading it.
But like Cheb says, it is just about us all saying what we think about it when we are finished, everyone will have thier own opinion. Look forward to hearing yours!
Love Matty
x

Ooooooo I love reading!!
I'm off to Ebay to have a look. :)

Same as me Cheb with 'deception post' i bought it 'cos i loved the 'da'vinci code' and its supposed to be just as good but have never got round to reading it, so that gets my vote!!!!

Love Busy XX

My copy of "BoneSetters Daughter has arrived today !!!:)

What do I do now then Cheb? (apart from read it:D )

Lacey...xxx

My copy of "BoneSetters Daughter has arrived today !!!:)

What do I do now then Cheb? (apart from read it:D )

Lacey...xxx

Well that's it really, read it and hopefully enjoy it:D Report back when you've finished it. Feel free to drip feed us little snippets of opinion along the way!

Still not got mine yet, money's a bit tight so going to pop along to the library and hopefully I can get a copy there. Will add that to my 'to do' list for tomorrow!

Back