BOOK CLUB - DISCUSSION STARTED. The Bonesetters Daughter by Amy Tan

I've got about a quarter left to read, thought I might get it finished during my girlie weekend but spent my time reading trashy magazines instead!

Must get down to it.

read a fair bit last night, will take to hospital tonight and hopefully get through a lot more. I only stopped reading coz I fell asleep in the bath! , then again in bed! I was getting into it too! (the book that is!!) .. is there a date deadline for getting it read by? (I can't remember..)

Not to late at all, welcome to the club, I am not sure when we are discussing it, Cheb, do you know?
But get reading, and hopefully in a week or so we can start on a discussion. Hope you enjoy it too!
Matty x

Hi

Lovely to have you join us:D Reckon we should set a date to discuss, seems to have been a longhaul one this time. How does a week Monday.....the... er.....18th:)confused: ) Dec sound to you all? Is it enough time? If you need longer just shout and we'll delay for a bit.

I still haven't finished, I'll have to renew it at the library tomorrow cos I've been so slow! I'll have it done by the 18th though.

Any suggestions for the next book?

The 18th sounds good to me Cheb, if we let it go any nearer Christmas, it might not happen!
Look forward to it.

Matty

Evening Fellow Readers!

Time to discuss The Bonesetters Daughter. Not sure how many of you have finished it, hopefully some will have but those that haven't give us your thoughts so far.

Did you enjoy it?
Did you find the characters believable?
How do you rate the relationships in the book, between Ruth and her Mother? How about Ruth and her partners' daughters? Between the sisters?
Did the writing paint a clear picture for you, of life in China?

Here are some of my thoughts, for what they're worth.....

I enjoyed this book in the same way I would enjoy wallowing in a warm bath; it was a pleasant read but didn't grab me so much that I couldn't put it down.

I liked the style of the writing and would try another by the same author. I found the characters believable but I don't feel that I got to 'know' any of them particularly well.

I felt that Ruth's boyfriend....(OMG can't even remember his name!) would have put up more of a fight about her moving out, and offered more support to resolve the situation of her mothers care before she left. Then again absence makes the heart grow fonder and perhaps he didn't realise how important she was to him until she'd gone. He was very self-centred after all, but came good in the end. Thought she may have felt more of a wrench leaving the girls too but this was barely touched upon.

Loved the part set in China, which surprised me as I don't generally enjoy historical fiction. Found the traditional beliefs very interesting.

So that's my thoughts for now,

So far:

* The boyfriend is a user - not impressed with him at all, and can't figure out why Ruth puts up with it
* The mother makes me feel sad cos she seems to have so much going on in her head but can't vocalise it
* Ruth is confused - still seems in childish rebellion but wants to be there for her Mum

Only read part I though, so all of this could be crap! :p

Back