BOOK CLUB - DISCUSSION STARTED. The Bonesetters Daughter by Amy Tan

HI Cheb, I will be back soon with my thoughts I promise, just too busy to write now, but really enjoyed your comments and agree with much of it too.
Love Matty

Review of The Bonesetter's Daughter
I enjoyed this book, it did paint a picture of life in China for me, particularly the life of women, and it wasn't nice, they were as good as sold off in marriage.
Poor Precious Auntie, I was so sorry for her, because her husband died on their wedding day and she was already pregnant, she ended up as no more than a slave, it seemed women got all their status from being married.
And Luling, the mother, she was so funny, sad, interesting, irritating, a bit like all mothers really!!
I did think Ruth had great patience with her, as living with her during childhood wasn’t easy, she depended so much on Ruth as she was from China whereas Ruth was born in America and understood much more.

Her fear of spending money in her old age was so funny and true, as I know old people like that, they are so afraid to spend anything! Especially if they have known hard times and most of them have I guess.

Ruth’s scare of being pregnant cos she sat on the toilet seat was sooooooooo sad really, so much worry for nothing, I felt this showed the worries children can have that we adults forget about.
I understood Ruth’s wanting to know about her past, ironically this is something that becomes more important as we get older. I know I regret so much not taking more notice of things my mother told me.

The relationship with Art, her partner: He did let her go too easily, but then he realised how much she meant to him and I was very impressed with his behaviour in the end, he really supported her and made her problems his also, which is so great really, that is what women need I think, for their husbands and partners to share equally the pressures.
Also, I understood totally Art’s problem with Ruth, (because she is exactly like me!) She took on everything and expected no help, and indeed finds it very hard to accept help as this means dependence…and that can be soooooooo hard and scary…
He needed her to need him more and allow him in to her life.

The mother and her sister: quite typical I would think of the kind of sparring that can go on in families and the mother had wonderful spirit I thought. I love the way she loved feeling she was getting one up on her sister!
The mother has great spirit I think, nothing defeated her.
And she loved Ruth very dearly despite the fact that she was always criticizing her.

The Dementia: This is of course horrible for anyone to deal with, my mother had it and it is so horrible and lonely to see your mother who looked after you, now needing to be cared for like a child…

Ruth going back home for a while to live was really nice I thought and it would be lovely if we could all afford to do this in the same circumstances as it is such a precious time…

So those are my thoughts for what it is worth!
Love Matty

Hels, I am happy to go with The Divide, if others are.
I loved The Horse Whisperer, it is beautifully written.

Also, I understood totally Art’s problem with Ruth, (because she is exactly like me!) She took on everything and expected no help, and indeed finds it very hard to accept help as this means dependence…and that can be soooooooo hard and scary…
He needed her to need him more and allow him in to her life.

Love Matty[/quote]

You're so right Matty, he seemed to be a lazy self centred waster, but in fact she was just so flippin' capable (outwardly) that he must have just given up trying to help! Still he came good in the end.

Thanks for your thoughts, glad I wasn't talking to myself!

Hello fellow readers! Sorry i've been so rubbish with the last couple of books - i'm back in the fold now!

I have a recommendation for the next book!

Amazon.co.uk: The Divide: Books: Nicholas Evans

I've just finished it and really really enjoyed it! What do you think?

Suggestion : The Two Of Us : Peter Andre :D

Deception Point by Dan Brown (had it on my shelf for ages, keep meaning to start it.)

I'm really happy to read any of the suggested books, they're pretty diverse so please make your choices or further suggestions? :)

Hello,
Wouldn't be interested in the Andre book myself either, but happy to go with either of the other two.
Happy Christmas to everyone. I am finishing work today, right now in fact yippee!
Love Matty

Back