Bookie's food diary with photos

Yum your food looks yummy. Do you have the recipe for the soup? I'm wanting to make more soups to take into work for lunch and that sounds really good. Your breakfast also looks amazing! I'm hungry now :)

All your talk of growing vegetables is just so cool! Myself and the OH would love to eventually do that. I wonder if I could ever convince him to move to the country? haha. I doubt we would but maybe a big enough back garden at some point will offer some opportunities. I love the idea of being involved in the whole process from seed to eat! :)

thanks ladies :) Tracy, more and more folk living in urban areas are growing veg now :D plus allotments have become the in thing! And - another growing trend - people keeping chickens in towns and cities! your own eggs - nothing is nicer in the morning. Our chickens aren't laying now though - too wintery.

Vintagepockets, I just sweated an onion, some celery and loads of garlic (sore throat!) in fry lite, then I added a tin of tomatoes, a couple of handfuls of lentils, two rashers of back bacon (fat removed) chopped, a big shake of chilli flakes, and some cumin, stock cube. Added what water was necessary throughout. Let it bubble for maybe 30 minutes. Was delish!

I'm going to try the smash technique to make chicken parmigiana later - will update with pics :)

I am hoping to grow some veg in the next couple of years, our house is brand new and we have a huge garden. Trouble is keeping out the rabbits. So we are going to wait until we have some kind of fencing up and the garden sorted, it is just mud (or should I say clay at the moment) we do have one big tree though.

I'd love some chickens to get my own eggs, but it isn't allowed around here, there are lots of standards around that kind of thing, especially where food is concerned.

Radicchio I always find a little bitter, so I usually mix it with other lettuce leaves which works better I think.

Britmum, a blank canvas is so very exciting! you can put things just exactly where you want. What kind of garden would you like? If you have the time, a largish veg plot will serve you well (do you plan to go back to work and if so, full time? this would be worth considering when you decide how large to make your plot). Your own herbs too - yum! I imagine (although I appreciate there are some pretty high areas and lots of snow in the winter) that you get better temps than us here in the summer? You'll have so much choice - you'll be able to grow your own spaghetti squash :D

I have a small balcony garden and grow tomato, garlic, mint and som epotatoes. Love to have broccoli and spinach - will try them next year.

Today - I'm feeling a bit blah - TOTM (I'm hoping that speaking in acronyms means I won't offend the people who find this TMI ;)). All bloaty and yucky and actually I can't face anything to eat right now - but later might want a big bowl of pasta or something... the chickens are all out of their coop - hope they go back in. The wind blew down the fence. It's just that the fox does sometimes come during the day, keep your fingers crossed. And these ones aren't as tame as others we've had, so hope they go back home.

I don't know why but I feel like doing a more general "me" style update, I don't know if I share much on here, so here you go. As I've not updated in a while, I've now lost a total of about 5 and a half pounds in maybe 7 or 8 weeks, so not even a lb a week but I don't mind - I could do this diet for life so will keep going. I've had lots of time where I've not stuck to plan to for one reason or another (travel with work etc). So am happy with the slow weight loss and seem to be a happy size 14 now. My aim is a size 12. Just over another stone to go then.

Rosie, that sounds lovely - yeah broccolli is great - love how once you cut it it keeps coming back.

Will update yesterday's food later :)

Leanne

Workwise things are going ok - I'm a research fellow in a University and I need to be writing papers - doing all the other things I need to do including getting a good network together but struggling with the papers - hence working from home. Exciting though - going to speak in Scottish Parliament about Scotland's digital strategy in a couple of weeks!

A loss is a loss regardless! Slow and steady wins the race and all that ;) I'm only just getting back into the plan tbh. I went on 2 abroad holidays in September and while I didn't have massive gains because of them- I found it REALLY hard to get back into a routine afterwards so i went through a pattern of losing a lb, STS, gaining a pound etc. Like you say though, it is for life!

I have a small balcony garden and grow tomato, garlic, mint and som epotatoes. Love to have broccoli and spinach - will try them next year.

How lovely Roselea. Do you live in an apartment?

Book_Lover, you are doing great. I agree with Joanne about the slow and steady stuff. I have definitely accepted that this is for life and that suits me perfectly. I always knew that I could never stick to Weight Watchers for ever. It felt like such a diet! I hated all the counting and adding up constantly. I love that Slimming World is a healthy plan that is not only liveable, but also involves eating seriously delicious food. I am so glad I found it!

Ooh a veggie grower :)

We try but this year was rubbish, also due to us working full time and the rubbish weather, only thing we got loads of was strawberries and some potatoes, a few onions and salad, but all my courgettes and cauliflowers just got completely eradicated by slugs grrr

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

thanks ladies - yes it's for life for sure. The only thing I DON'T want to do for life is eat so many dietty things like diet coke and muller lites - I'm getting a bit worried about the sweeteners. And perhaps I would switch from spray oil to the spray olive oil you can get (we have some and it's great - plus it really keeps your oil consumption much lower than if you glug) once I'm into maintenance.

Also am not sure if I would go to class every week for life! not sure what tack to take once getting to goal about this...

Yesterday as a last minute treat I got into my hairdressers (an Aveda salon) for cut and highlights. Really pleased with the results :-D

Hells, this happened to my cauliflower too - all brown and slimy, too, yuck!

Wednesday 7th Nov:

Breakfast: porridge (first in ages!) - HEB with blueberries and sprinkled with a tsp sugar (1 syn). If the blueberries have to be synned for being cooked in the porridge I'm calling it a tweak - there weren't that many...

7thbrekkie.jpg

Lunch: baked potato with beans and worcestershire sauce

7thlunch.jpg

Dinner: decided I really fancied chicken parmigianna - so made this one (with my daughter's help!) using the smash method for bread crumbing the battered out chicken breasts. Did them in a bit of fry lite, meanwhile made a tomato sauce with tinned toms, garlic and onion/frylite. Placed in dish, covered with the tomato sauce then topped with slices of mozzarella and finished off with bit of grated parmesan (all worked out for HEA). Had this with roasted potatoes and carrots, and cavalo nero:

7thdinner.jpg

Thursday 8th Nov:

impromptu trip into town for new hair :) - plus as it was TOTM, I really couldn't face much breakfast.

Breakfast: muller lite

Lunch: Boots seafood sushi (2 and a half syns)

Snack: small piece of kids' low fat garlic bread - 3 syns

Dinner: Wholemeal pitta (HEB) with pork pieces (done in George Foreman), shredded salad of white cabbage, carrot and onion, yoghurt sauce (made with 0 fat Total, garlic and thinned with milk HEA, with the stick blender). Nandos chilli sauce:

8thdinner2.jpg

8thdinner.jpg

Snacks at bedtime: muller lite greek style - lemon (1 syn), hi life lite (3 syns), loads of fruit.

Syns - 9 and a half

Hey

Have you heard of the misto sprayers?you could get one of those and fill with your own oil. Of course it would need to be synned, but if you are only using a few sprays for a meal that serves a few it shouldn't be too bad.

I am with you on trying to cut out sweetners etc, not only for health reasons but I just hate the taste too. I recently tried stevia as it is meant to be slightly better as it is a natural sweetener, but it had a horrid aftertaste.

I am really liking coconut sap though. It is synned, but not as much as sugar and it doesn't have the same effect on your body as normal sugar does. It is a bit like brown sugar. Expensive though.

Coconut sap? You have me intrigued - must check that out :D

Like the idea of the mist sprayer, could be really good :) thanks Britmum.

Was fancying a kebab type lunch again, but used my HEB (or half of it at least) in my brekkie! As it's Friday I'd rather not accumulate many syns at lunch.... I'm sure I'll come up with something though.

Friday 9th November:

Breakfast: inspired by other minimmers, I had French toast (made with the bread my daughter made which is only just still edible!) with bananas and my sugar free maple syrup (which is *ok* and does the job, but next time I'll get the real stuff and syn it):

9thbrekkie.jpg

Lunch: I fancied pasta, and I also fancied making a sauce I could whack on at the end pesto style... but didn't want to be adding syns at lunch, so I sweated some cavalo nero, courgette and garlic in frylite, then added them to my vitamix with some sun dried tomatoes (with the oil wiped off) and parmesan cheese. Also a bit of water. Blended it for about 3 seconds (my vitamix would just puree everything into baby food if you let it) then popped onto cooked w/m pasta:

9thlunch.jpg

Dinner: we found some venison pieces in the freezer, so we had them with smash onion rings (with some cajun thrown into the smash), our own tomatoes (finally ripened indoors!), pea shoot salad, and SW skinny fries. I had a tbsp of EL mayo (1/2 syn) and I'll have to syn some oil, because we ran out of fry lite when doing the chips so had to use my olive oil spray (1 syn)

9thdinner.jpg

I also had some wine - a large glass of rose sparkling....

HEB = w/m bread and a hi lite bar
HEA = milk, parmesan

Syns = 13 - remembered I had a glass of cider too!

Last edited:
I'm also quite looking forward to weigh in on Tuesday. Very much fingers crossed, because I feel I've stuck quite well to plan. Looking forward to a few synned treats over the weekend but will try and keep them lower than I usually do.

book_lover said:
Friday 9th November:

Breakfast: inspired by other minimmers, I had French toast (made with the bread my daughter made which is only just still edible!) with bananas and my sugar free maple syrup (which is *ok* and does the job, but next time I'll get the real stuff and syn it):

Lunch: I fancied pasta, and I also fancied making a sauce I could whack on at the end pesto style... but didn't want to be adding syns at lunch, so I sweated some cavalo nero, courgette and garlic in frylite, then added them to my vitamix with some sun dried tomatoes (with the oil wiped off) and parmesan cheese. Also a bit of water. Blended it for about 3 seconds (my vitamix would just puree everything into baby food if you let it) then popped onto cooked w/m pasta:

Dinner: we found some venison pieces in the freezer, so we had them with smash onion rings (with some cajun thrown into the smash), our own tomatoes (finally ripened indoors!), pea shoot salad, and SW skinny fries. I had a tbsp of EL mayo (1/2 syn) and I'll have to syn some oil, because we ran out of fry lite when doing the chips so had to use my olive oil spray (1 syn)

I also had some wine - a large glass of rose sparkling....

HEB = w/m bread and a hi lite bar
HEA = milk, parmesan

Syns = 7 and a half

This all looks really yummy. Especially the pasta. I love that you have so many ingredients on hand from your garden.

Back