Braces and SW :(

Stefanie

Silver Member
Just got my braces on Monday, fixed white ceramic top and bottom. I am in agony and can't chew, so am eating lots of soft food. I will admit, i'm feeling really sorry for myself and a bit depressed as it feels so weird. I'm 30, so being a bit older is making me feel very self-conscious.

Any tips on how I can still stick to SW (i'm EE), should I change to green? Thank you! xx

After a few days, the pain goes. Just hang on in there!
Try mashed potatoes, soups, slow-cooked casseroles (meat goes really tender), yogurts, soft fruits..
Good luck!

Oh I feel for you. It does get better but for now soups and mushy foods are probably your only option. You may find they hurt again when u get them tightened but it does pass.
Stay strong and try to not let it throw you off track x

I remember the pain, it took a good 3 days for the edge to be taken off and about a week for it to totally settle down. It will be worth it in the end x

Thank you so much, makes me feel a bit better to know that others have been in the same boat on here. I know millions of people get braces but it has made me feel really down. I need to give myself a break, it's only been 2 days lol.

Casserole idea was great, I have one in the oven as we speak, hopefully I can mush it down. Thankfully I don't drink wine anymore, but will go easy on any colourful food :) When will I be able to chew though??

A lady in my group had braces fitted last week (i would guess she's early 40s- really hope i haven't insulted her!) She found it very hard at first and had been living off vegetable soup but she said it started to get easier. I remember having mine fitted and trying to eat a bowl of shreddies the morning after and being in agony. I can't offer much advice just sympathy as I remember the pain so well.

Like everyone else has said the first few days are the worst but after a week eating 'normally' isn't a problem.

Just advance warning though, the week you are scheduled to get them tightened make sure you have soft foods in as the pain is the same as getting used to them at the start. Hope this post hasn't worried you, just wanted to make sure you knew :)

If you're making casseroles with chicken, choose thighs and cook long and slow as they then become really tender and easier to eat. Poor you. Hope it feels better soon :-(

Thank you! I tried the casserole and the meat wasn't as tender as I'd hoped The thigh idea is great thanks as I think that would make a difference. I kinda just mashed the casserole veg on the roof of my mouth :D I'm prepared to get them tightened as much as I can and know it will hurt again.....I have 4 teeth to get removed before then and I really don't know how i'm going to cope :(

Stefanie said:
Thank you! I tried the casserole and the meat wasn't as tender as I'd hoped The thigh idea is great thanks as I think that would make a difference. I kinda just mashed the casserole veg on the roof of my mouth :D I'm prepared to get them tightened as much as I can and know it will hurt again.....I have 4 teeth to get removed before then and I really don't know how i'm going to cope :(

Although its been a long time since I had braces and things may have moved on, I so remember that pain when it was new and when it was tightened. It is really painful in the way that a persistent headache just gets you down, but it does pass after a few days. No consolation when you're climbing the walls now. Hope it goes really quickly. :-(

Hi, how are you getting on with your braces now? I am in my early 30's now but had fixed top braces in my early teens and i found them agony each month when i got them tightened, i found they cut into the sides of my cheeks too but as time went by that eased and it was worth it as i now have lovely straight teeth. I am in Scotland too, where abouts are you? x

Hey there, thank you, i'm happy to report that my teeth are not sore anymore, they are very sensitive but nothing that needs painkillers. My eating is much better too, with my chewing nearly back to normal. It is very weird having to take smaller pieces though, takes ages to finish dinner lol! I am struggling, however, with the whole panic over it....like having the 4 teeth removed, what else will the orthodontist do, will I need headgear....I'll admit I'm reading all the bad things on the net! The braces do cut in a tiny bit, but my mouth has gotten used to it. Im at East Renfrewshire, whereabouts are you? xx

Hey there, thank you, i'm happy to report that my teeth are not sore anymore, they are very sensitive but nothing that needs painkillers. My eating is much better too, with my chewing nearly back to normal. It is very weird having to take smaller pieces though, takes ages to finish dinner lol! I am struggling, however, with the whole panic over it....like having the 4 teeth removed, what else will the orthodontist do, will I need headgear....I'll admit I'm reading all the bad things on the net! The braces do cut in a tiny bit, but my mouth has gotten used to it. Im at East Renfrewshire, whereabouts are you? xx

Good to hear that the pain has went now. I used to get a small pot of wax from the Orthodontist to rub over the sharp areas of y brace, did you get that? I am in Aberdeenshire so quite a way from you. x

Good to hear that the pain has went now. I used to get a small pot of wax from the Orthodontist to rub over the sharp areas of y brace, did you get that? I am in Aberdeenshire so quite a way from you. x

Hey, yes have some wax, so far it's not really been needed - hopefully it stays that way. Small steps to a good smile and who knows, I could be slim with good teeth....dream!!! I'm from Aberdeen, still have my family there! xx

I lost a LOT of weight when I had braces - partly because they were painful, partly because it was a hassle to eat, and partly because I was supposed to clean my teeth after every single time I ate, so I stopped snacking as it was just too much faff!

Jezzi completely! I find that I am not snacking anymore and I am eating 3 meals only. It is such a chore to clean them all the time. Also I take so long to eat my meals that I am full and don't always finish them. The downside, I felt so sorry for myself on Saturday that I munched my way through half a victoria sponge cake as it was lovely and soft! :D It was a one off but hopefully as I haven't had too much to eat, it will balance out for weigh-in tomorrow, fingers crossed! :) xx

Back