BREAD

mechmanuk

johnboy
a couple of questions please if i may

1/ Which online stores bread or mix would you consider best, atkins bread mix or something different? as near to norm,al bread as possible (dont like that flax stuff?)
2/ Best online store?

thanks in advance

A lot of the Atkins mix stuff is full of nasties, I'm afraid, and not something Dr Atkins, were he still alive, would have endorsed.

I know you say you don't fancy flax bread but there is a cracking recipe from Katie here, baking in the oven makes all the difference, I promise - http://www.minimins.com/atkins-reci...ion-1-5c-per-serving-depending-flax-used.html

A lot of people are also big fans of oopsie rolls - see the sticky called just Recipes, i think it's on page 1. Also crepes, etc, made from cream cheese.

Otherwise, the options are to buy l/c rolls from the Low Carb Megastore; Mama Lupe and joseph tortilla wraps - same seller.

thanks susie, i think i may have bought the wrong flaxseed from hollands down town, what do i buy, can u point me in the right direction so i buy the right stuff (would have to buy online, shops are non existent round here, thanks for the help

Happy to help :)

This is a personal preference but I don't mind paying a bit more for things that are low in carbs and have none, so I buy Flex Flax online, they say it's carb free because of the milling process they use (I'll believe anything :)) - not one seller, just whoever offers the best price.

It's hard to find, though - Google "Buy Flex Flax" and you'll get a few results, such as this - Flex Flaxseed Organic Cold Milled Ground Flaxseed 425g | Buy Food, Drink & Tobacco Products Online

Looks like susie and i have been saying the same thing on different threads:D great minds etc!

Hope you have info you need now?

Here it is -

[h=2]Flax bread - induction - 1.5c per serving (depending on flax used)[/h]
Flax bread

Dissolve one teaspoon Splenda in 80ml bowl warm (40C) water.
Sprinkle on 1 sachet quick yeast.
Leave for ~10 mins to get bubbly.
Mix 1 cup golden flax meal with 1 teaspoon baking powder.
Beat 3 eggs with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Add egg mixture to flax and mix well.
Add yeast mixture and mix well.
Put into silicon loaf tin (or other)
Leave for 10 mins to rise a bit.

Either
Cook in microwave for ~5 mins.
When you turn it out, should be more or less dry on the bottom. If
not, I usually microwave upside down for another minute.

Or
Bake in oven at 180-200 until done (sorry forgotten timing) - it comes out much better than microwavedd

Treat as normal loaf of bread ie slice when needed- makes great very filling sandwiches - and lasts me a couple of days. Doesn't have that eggy flavour of mims

Whole loaf is 8-9 net carbs(depending on flax used). I assume it's six servings of two slices. So 1.5 ish a serving maybe

I often freeze in batches and then just toast for breakfast

cool, thanks, sorry katie i was askin about the yeast on other and steered off course lol, many thanks for the help guys x

IMG_0301.jpgWell the missus managed to get me some flax from a store in town milled organic as described and ive had a go at my first attempt as per the photo. Its not risen like i was expecting but i can sssume this is due to the cheap tesco quick dry yeast maybe? Anyways its still piping hot so havent tried it yet will report back later on that one, thanks for the help girls x.

i made a 2nd loaf but this time it kinda didnt taste the same for me? dont know if its because i left it in longer than normal? didnt like this time round?

Is there anything one can do with this to make a sweet? spice it up and maybe use as a dessert?

after some research whilst scouring tescos last neet (it wa cowd) i had a quicjk look on the bread isle as i read somewhere that burgen bread was okay. I foubd some and bought it (12gr per slice, so a couple here and there wouldnt hurt?) anyways the missus gets her usual small warburtons wholemeal small loaf, i looked this morning and notice that the warburtons was only 9gr per slice? so now im wondering why is the burgen better than the other one? its confusing lol

The burgen has a higher protein and fat count to offset the carbs but tbh if you're going to eat regular bread the brand doesn't matter - its not just how many carbs you eat, it's the type of carbs and 9g (or 12g) carbs from wheat bread is capable of spiking your insulin and slowing weight loss - its akso very likely to trigger cravings for other carbs - on Atkins wheat based bread is the absolute last thing you should add back in to your diet, and only when maintaining. Some people do 'get away with it' but it's so easy to go overboard once you start adding carbs like that back in.

I believe the person on here who eats burgen barely eats any vegetables or any other carbs, which is why they add it in.

Try it and see how you go, but if your loss slows or stalls or you end up craving or adding other carby foods to your diet you'll know what to cut out. Xx

Last edited:
thats good sound advice moonlight thankyou, its mainly for mi brekkie, struggling to find owt to replace bacon and eggs to keep me warm at work and im missing the bacon buttie. But ill take onboard what youve said and keep tabs on it.

I had a bacon and egg sarnie for breakfast this morning with flax toast as the bread - was delish!

It was just the quick recipe - 30g ground flax, 1/2 tsp baking powder, dried herbs and 1 eggs - mix well, add 1 tsp water, mix well again, let it sit for a mo (I make it all up in a square microwave container) then zap for 2 minutes. Turn out, let it cool then toast - either dry fry in a frying pan - or use butter. Or toast in toaster bags (from the Pound shop) - and add lots of butter :D

Back