Breastfeeding and Slimming World

im getting a mild stingyness and then a deep ache in my boob when she feeds, but she wont open her mouth wide enough atm and i cant gaurentee she's latching properly again *sigh* i just dont know what to do. Im gunna ask for an emergancy app for her tomo and her chest is rattely and shes making funny noises too :(

Firstly what a fab birth story, well done you.

Is the stingy feeling at the beginning of the feed? It could just be from letdown. If it is thrush though, the drops alone wont work, you need cream for you too, however the drops/cream combination rarely work very well, gentian violet is much more effective. Fingers crossed you get some answers at your docs. Sounds like she might have some mucus if she is a bit rattly.

Re the latching issues, can you get to a La Leche League meeting near you? someone there may be able to help you in person, they will be better trained too, or ask your HV for an appointment with a lactation consultant. These Dr Jack Newman video might help too - Breastfeeding Getting a Good Latch with Dr. Jack Newman - YouTube. If she is not latching on properly then that will also cause a bit of nipple pain. I had issues with Felicity early on too. Sometime she would latch perfect, other times she would be lazy and not open her mouth fully.

Fern, have you a childrens centre near you? There maybe a breast feeding group linked to it, I'm a breast feeding support worker based in the Bromley area, and we have breast feeding buddies around, it's a lovely social group and you don't have to have a problem to go, but they can also suggest other positions to assist with latching and feeding x

i went to a local group last week but the hv who supervised it was poo! luckily my friend put me in touch with the bf consultant that ran her local group who was great- but shes 40 mins away and my car broke yday so i cant get there for todays meeting! gah. ive got Penny an app. today at 3ish with the doctor... i dont know whether to continue the drops and cream because im not 100% convinced that it is thrush- its only on her tongue, it didnt get worse or better in the 4 days between the midwife saying no and then the hv saying it was... but i think the drops upset her tum as she cried lots yday and had a mucasy textured grey/green nappy yesterday.. plus the cream for me doesnt get long enough on because she doesnt go longer than 2hrs between feeds.. i think it could all be a latch issue.. the stingyness has benn coming on towards the end/after shes finished but ive noticed my nipple has been 'shaped' almost to a flat point after feeds which i recon is her feeding wrong?

Yeah it does sound like a latching issue, can you speak to the counsellor on the phone?

i went to a local group last week but the hv who supervised it was poo! luckily my friend put me in touch with the bf consultant that ran her local group who was great- but shes 40 mins away and my car broke yday so i cant get there for todays meeting! gah. ive got Penny an app. today at 3ish with the doctor... i dont know whether to continue the drops and cream because im not 100% convinced that it is thrush- its only on her tongue, it didnt get worse or better in the 4 days between the midwife saying no and then the hv saying it was... but i think the drops upset her tum as she cried lots yday and had a mucasy textured grey/green nappy yesterday.. plus the cream for me doesnt get long enough on because she doesnt go longer than 2hrs between feeds.. i think it could all be a latch issue.. the stingyness has benn coming on towards the end/after shes finished but ive noticed my nipple has been 'shaped' almost to a flat point after feeds which i recon is her feeding wrong?

If it is just on her tongue, I would be inclined to say it is just milk tongue, which is normal. My DS had his for the entire time he BF and Felicity has milk tongue too.

Does it looks sore underneath the white? It generally does with thrush and will have patches elsewhere in the mouth. I remember my HV saying it was thrush with my son and trying to give him them drops which just mad him upset and never did anything. I finally worked out the reason it wasnt going away. It was because it wasnt thrush, it was milk tongue. grrrrrrrr

Thrush | Dr. Sears Official Website | Parenting Advice, Parenting Books & more

im getting a mild stingyness and then a deep ache in my boob when she feeds, but she wont open her mouth wide enough atm and i cant gaurentee she's latching properly again *sigh* i just dont know what to do. Im gunna ask for an emergancy app for her tomo and her chest is rattely and shes making funny noises too :(

Fern, might be no help to you, but the HV thought I had thrush too, turns out I'm a lucky lady who has a painful stabbing pain when my milk lets down. And not just at feed times, in between feeds I get the same pain, and if I have a peek in my bra I'm leaking.

turns out she doesnt have thrush as suspected- i took her to the docs because the drops were upsetting her and i had a feeling it wasnt thrush at all and suprise suprise, the HV was wrong..doctor says hv tend to think thrush is much more common than it is so tend to over prescribe.. im glad i went with my gut after only 1 day of treatment.. hated giving her anything other than booby milk into her little body.

i think this latch issue needs to be seen to be fixed..hoping to borrow mums partners 2nd car untill mines fixed so we can see someone asap. Foe the time being im changing positioning and just practising xx

back on sw today... wish me luck!

Good luck Fernie, enjoy all those healthy extras!

i didnt make it back to class yday due to lack of car so i dont have any of the bf info so i figured id just follow it normally untill i know?? x

No no! You get an extra 3 HEs added to your usual until your baby is 2 months old and then you increase it to 4 extra HEs until you start weaning around 6 months. So that's 5 HEs total on EE and 7 HEs on red/green until baby is 2 months and then you get 6 HEs on EE and 8 on red/green after 2 months! You can have any combination of As and Bs but SW recommends at least 2 A choices. Yep, quite a lot but you need them all so enjoy!

When you start weaning, SW stipulates that you cut right back to just 1 extra HE (So 3 HEs on EE and 5 on red/green) but its a bit tough and your baby will only be taking literally a tablespoon of solids a day in the first few weeks so I've been gradually reducing my HEs one at a time with each additional solid meal I introduce. So I dropped one HE when I first introduced solids and then dropped another when I increased solids to 2 meals a day and this Friday I'm introducing a third meal so I'll drop another HE which will take me to the official SW 1 extra HE which I'll maintain until Rosie's 1 and I stop breastfeeding and then byebye extra healthy extras :( Thats the plan in theory, she may have other ideas! Hopefuly I'll be at target by then and would get extra maintenance HEs again! Gosh I can't remember what it's like to follow SW normally lol!

The difference is that you're now producing all that nourishing milk for your baby! It burns up a lot of calories. You also don't want to be too restricted and lose weight too quickly because that can impact your milk production. All the weight I lost in my sig was from eating ALL the HEXs and 10 syns a day :D
Try it for a week and you'll see!!

On a side note, what do you use on your skin? It's amazing and flawless! The thing I love other than food and cooking is skincare :D

Last edited:
Oh poo, Origins products give me a rash!

Yes you certainly need to plan your HExs, juggling that many can get really confusing. I got muddled on more than one ocassion!

Hello Ladies,

I thought Id pop in, say hello and see how you are all getting on?

I miss the SW forum and chatting to you ladies, the WW one is so quiet!

Izzy is now 3 months old (I can't believe how quickly it has gone) and doing really well. She wants to sit up straight the whole time, so its gone from constant cuddles to her sitting up on my lap lol

How are all your lovely little ones doing?

Hi Cheeky! How are you finding WW?

1st birthday approaching here, how has it gone so fast? My snuggly little bubba has grown into a climbing shouty little madam. She's still very much a booby baby but my losses are so slow, I'm wavering on lowering my HE's to 1 a day (it works out that way sometimes naturally), I don't know how else to get this weight moving at speed again? Any ideas? I've always struggled to lose weight while bfing but sw has got me going but I'm fighting to lose 1lb a week, should it be this hard or am I just on a plateau?

I know 1lb a week is healthy but I have plenty to give, 1.5lb a week would be great, 0.5lb or a sts makes me groan.

Hi Ilovecake

I'm finding WW really good. I've been on the pro points plan for 13 weeks and lost 15lbs. I have my WI tomorrow so fingers crossed its more.

I am finding that I took everything I learnt from SW over to WW but I now count everything. I eat the same foods and cook the same meals, its just that with WW I find I can control the intake better. I don't think i ate enough on SW, WW just makes sure I put enough food in my body.

The one down side is that i miss the SW Boards and the people on them :eek:[

I think if you're finding your losses are slow, why not give your self a period where you reduce the amount of HEX your having and see if you have a bigger loss.

I know some people find that when they are bf they don't get great losses until they stop. Izzy and i never got on with bf sadly so all my losses have been on the 'normal' plan

Good luck x

Thanks Cheeky, this has been my non diet excuse for 8 years, I've either been bfing or pregnant and 4 babies later I was 8 stone heavier than is healthy...hohum. At least I'm doing it now, it may be slow but I'll persist. Even at 1lb a week I'd be where I need to be this time next year. I have no idea when bubbs will wean, I'll give her until 2 to self wean and then I'll wean her. This is my last baby so I can cope with 2 years (done it before and then had to wean the boobie addict ds2). Maybe then I'll find it easier????
As Dory on Nemo would say, 'just keep swimming'. I'll get there.

I was worried about lowering my hex's while bfing but she has 3 very balanced meals plus snacks plus boobie on demand still, she's doing fine. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the chat.x

How are all the other babies? My little madam is just starting to stand unaided and is very pleased with herself when she does. Walking next...eeeeek!

Still strugling away here so rejoined group last night. Getting 6 HEX's a day.

Alex now chubbing up good, but isn't fat, still got skinny arms and legs and at at 9 weeks weighs a stone. He's also really long and in the 91st centile for length and 75th for head size. He really is a big boy.

so i rejoined sw at a new class on monday, i got the bf booklet ... how cheesed am i that my old c told me i got no extra HE when preggo! anyways, new c told me i didnt have to have the extra's if i didnt want them, so far ive been having 2 extra.. i just cant fit more in without struggeling to get fruit and veg in snacks wise, having side salads with meals doesnt work cos i always end up eating one handed! anyways yday went well....lets see if i can actually stick with it now! 2st 11 to loose!

Back