Breastfeeding and Slimming World

I'm bloody awake with heartburn. Never ever suffered with it until I got pregnant and now I've got it and it's keeping me awake even though jack's been back asleep since quarter to one! Grrr! Hate it when I'm awake and he's sleeping and my body just won't let me sleep xx

sammyb1985 said:
Are you still breast feeding hunny? If so do you know that you can have extra HEA and HEB's because you are? I can see you've had two HEA's but only one HEB that's all so just wanted to double check. Other than that your diary looks fine to me, but I have to admit I'm not the best on extra easy, I'm losing my weight doing mostly green days.

Why did you want us to look at it hunny? Xx

Yes but started weaning Charlie so cutting down on my healthy extras, wanted a fresh set of eyes to look at it as I seen to have plateaued the last few weeks xx

been using infacol hun. but gettin some gripe water today.she jus wdnt settle i was feeding her constant then in end oh gave her 5oz bottle of expressed milk n even after tha she wnted mre.
she slept fir hour n half all night n niw i up with her.
so tired got no energy.
just keep thinking about giving up and goin to formula.i cnt live off hour n half sleep every night

beccaharrison89 said:
been using infacol hun. but gettin some gripe water today.she jus wdnt settle i was feeding her constant then in end oh gave her 5oz bottle of expressed milk n even after tha she wnted mre.
she slept fir hour n half all night n niw i up with her.
so tired got no energy.
just keep thinking about giving up and goin to formula.i cnt live off hour n half sleep every night

Keep going at it hunny, at the beginning it seems like nothing will work and that it's going to last forever, but it does actually pass by very quickly. If infacol doesn't work (it doesn't work for jack either) then the dentinox or gripe water may be better, try seem to bring him relief. At around 4-5 weeks their digestive system still isn't matured and they can have a lot of trouble getting rid of trapped wind, but you'll be pleased to know that for the last few weeks jack has been farting like a trooper lol so he's figured out how to get it out himself, so won't be long until your little hunny does too. Breast feeding is hard, especially in the beginning, but I can promise it does get easier. If you decide to go to formula of course that's your decision and we will support you whatever you decide, as a happy mummy equals a happy baby, but do bear in mind that if it is wind that's the problem then formula won't help that. Also, I know you said you already tried her with a dummy and she didn't want it, but it may be an idea to try her with it again, she my take it now. If she has a nap today try to get in a bit of extra sleep yourself hun xx

Can I ask a question? Those that are still getting extra healthy extras, how do u split them eg I'm having a red day today, Charlie is 5 months (on saturday) so I should b having 7 healthy extras today, should I have 4 a and 3 b or 5a & 2b or does it not matter??? Xx

Hi ladies, Hope you dont mind me joining you. I had Daniel on the 2nd July and have been exclusively breastfeeding. Some days I am finding harder than others - he seems to be a hands man (hands always at his mouth, and he is always trying to help get on - often getting just my nipple - which hurts!)

We have had some good nights and some bad nights as he had his night and day mixed up (the bad nights were really bad, literally a constant feed last 3.5 hours). Things are improving and he is sleeping better at night. My nipples feel like bullets though from when he gets on wrong! Am a bit of a worrier - Daniels poo took until today (day 9) to change yellow but the midwife came back on day 7 to weigh him again (he had only lost 9% so they didnt need to, it was to support me with the feeding) and in 2 days he put on 2oz so they are happy despite his poo still being green.

SW wise I seem to eat loads (and I mean loads). Am suffering constipation too which isnt great I think he might have a touch of colic (or maybe he is just a winge on an evening) but he definitely gets trapped wind although he is a bit of a farter so might be getting it out lol.

Anyway wanted to come on and say hi - although am off to bed now (will try and feed him before i do so he hopefully goes a bit longer).

Need some help. Keira is now 4 days old and I'm already contemplating giving up. She's feeding every hour day and night and I'm really not coping. My boobs are extremely full and my nipples get very sore. Any ideas on what I can do, I don't want to have to stop x

i was the same hun but now im four weeks dwn the line.i have found it such a,struggle as its contant.i was,told by 6-8 weeks it gts easier but yday i hit a real low and was goin to stop,howevr i have decided to combination feed now instead so i breastfed all day and gave her bottle of formula before bed and one thru night and bk to breastfeeding dis mrn.
i decided to do this so my baby girl gtin the goodness from breastmilk,but givin her the formula too will give me sum sleep and gt into bit if routine
also i havent been out muxh at all due to her constsnt bf

mummy clark - am going to write you a longer message but want to send this quick so more to follow. On the back of your pregnancy notes there should be a number for contacting the midwife unit (mine is only open 9-10 each day hence why i want to send this message first. They will arrange someone to visit you). Can you give them a call, tell them you are struggling and that you feel like giving up and you need someone to help support you with the breastfeeding.

Next message to follow... :)

mummyClark said:
Need some help. Keira is now 4 days old and I'm already contemplating giving up. She's feeding every hour day and night and I'm really not coping. My boobs are extremely full and my nipples get very sore. Any ideas on what I can do, I don't want to have to stop x

It's so hard at the beginning hunny, at day 4 I felt like that, for 24 hours straight jack would feed for half an hour, have a 15 minute break then feed for half an hour have a fifteen minute break.... It was soul destroying and I was exhausted. I discovered that as well as putting his order in for how much milk he needed, he was also comfort sucking, so I gave in and gave him a dummy. I'd been completely against it before I had him but there was one in a starter pack I got given. I gave it him and straight away I got 2 and a half hours rest as he was content to suck that. It did me the world of good. He's 11 weeks old now and I'm still exclusively breast feeding. It gets so much easier as you go on. There will be days where you feel like giving up, especially when baby is going through a growth spurt and feeding more regularly, but that will just be a phase and it will get easier again. As for your site nipples, I know how that can be, and it's horrible to dread feeding your baby because it hurts so much, but you can't help it. As the previous poster said, get some help from a midwife or a local lactation consultant as your little ones latch may be slightly off and causing you pain, and get something called lanolin. It's a cream for your nipples and it will work wonders. Put it on after every single feed and it will ease the pain.

Just remember, breast is ultimately best, but, if after getting advice and using this cream you're still struggling (give it chance though), and it's really getting you down, you will be supported whatever you decide to do for your child, whether you continue through to when it gets easier, decide to combination feed like becca, or decide to go completely onto formula. It's up to you and you'll get all the support you need.

You're doing a great job hunny, we're here if you need us. Xx

i had to make the decision to try combination feeding as i got myself so low and didnt want to gwt any worse ,also i didnt want amelia to sense it,when feeding her.
i am going to take each day as it comes,if i feel up to it i will bf all day and night some days but if we having a harder i will combine, if i have expressed enough milk i will combine with that but if avent gt enough breast milk expressed ill use formula.some days i can express enough other days,amelia feeds constant and dont have time.
if u dont express for a few days will this make it harder to express?

I just wrote you a massive message and annoyingly lost it!!
OK here goes again. Breastfeeding is really hard but it does get better once you both learn it. Its really hard not to get frustrated with yourelf and your baby.

First am going to send you a link for the article from derby city hospital I think its pretty good.

http://www.derbyhospitals.nhs.uk/easysiteweb/getresource.axd?assetid=2815&type=0&servicetype=1

Rather than try and explain the holds I do with Daniel (which I did on my first message) - if you look at page 5 I do the top picture. I sit up straight (perhaps even leaning a bit forward when I start). You need to get the latch working first and if this is wrong it will hurt.

If you been trying this position and they are killing then try a different position. My right hand nipple is cracked and swollen and hence killing (and ha for the last few days). I tried this morning to do the bowling ball position (picture 2 on page 5). This is a lot harder to hold and really your best sitting on an arm chair so you can put her on the arm to make it easier to hold the weight. (I did this with Amy initially),

If you look at page 6 I do the steps in that for getting Daniel to latch on. The key is to be relaxed (harder said than done when you know the pain to come). Dont get frustrated with yourself of Keira when it doesnt work as that makes you get frustrated and its harder to get her on.

Hand express a little bit first (thats on page 13 ) - you need to cup your breast with your thumb and finger next to the thumb into a C so that the finger/ thumb are behind the areola. Pressing down (but towards the nipple) about 10-15 times to stimulate the flow of milk. When you get a few droplets try and tease her to open her mouth. Dont put the breast in until her mouth is wide open as she will clamp down on your nipple. If she gets your nipple then instantly put your finger in to unclamp her mouth. Dont pull the nipple out without unclamping.

It shouldnt hurt (or at least shouldnt kill) once she is on correctly - if your nipple feels cracked and massive it might still hurt a bit but not like before - well mine still hurts a bit. If you hear a clicking sound then she isnt on preoperly and if you hear sucking but air (almost like fast sucking through a straw) then also not on properly. If you look at her she should have her chin touching your breast (no gaps) - if not she isnt on properly. If you look at her jaw (near the ears) they should be moving in a sucking motion.

There should be a pattern. the first 10 or so sucks will be hard and powerful and they do hurt. Once that has passed she should be in a pattern of few sucks and a rest, few sucks and a rest etc. i think every so often they might do the powerful sucks to restimulate the nipple.

If she falls asleep, or the sucking changes to no swallowing (you would expect at least 5 mins of this proper sucking - i would reckon 10-15 mins really unless tired and it might be longer). If the pattern has change to a constant sucking without swallowing its for comfort. Unlatch, i recommend stripping down and changing to try and wake them and get them more alert and feed on the otehr side. Always try this as it fills them for loinger. If they took a good amount on the first side you wouldnt expect them to take that much on the 2nd side (they should really be coming off themselves but they dont always).

Make sure you wind her as well - if she is crying and bringing her knees up to her chest this means they have wind (and they would get this on the bottle too). You want to try and get the wind up (if she is windy buy some infacol - i started on it yesterday pm). It takes 3 days or so to work and will help bring the wind up efficiently.

This leaflet is also good on the poos and wees (dont get hung up about the poo - Daniel didnt poo at all on day 4 and i was so upset) - he pood on day 5 though (it turned green on day 5 and hadnt turned yellow). It didnt turn yellow til day 9 (yesterday) and they arent worried. as long as he getting lots of wee - and we getting a lot!!

if you are gettng those urates then she isnt feeding enough and you need help (Amy had them, they are a concern but if you get the help and support you dont need to give up).

Oh and if your breast is too full try hand expressing a bit off as well It must be hard enough for a baby to get on never mind a full breast (i had to do this the other day as Daniel fed for about 3.5 hours, before i got some support from the midwives). He is now feeding for max an hour at a time and sleeping in between after keeping him awake for about an hour.

However tempting it is - dont give her a dummy yet (although they say wait til 4 weeks my midwife said you can do it if they are feeding well by 2-3 weeks you can do it then). I am counting down the days and doing it at 2 weeks and 4 days! Lol Another 8 days and he is getting it!!

Hope this helps - that article is really good (i have a leaflet stating all of that and I have referred to it a fair few times already)!

even more annoying is i posted a message in between and it hasnt worked. can you contact your midwife for support (ours is open between 9 and 10) hence why i sent that message first - incase yours is on restricted times. There are also some numbers for other support groups. I spoke to a nice lady who reassured me abut the poo on the national breastfeeding helpline (i think it was them anyway) - 0300 100 0212 or it might have been from the NCT on 0300 3300771.

O crap I as well replied on here hours ago with a long message and now it's not there. To sum up what I said, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and helpful reply. Will try some of the things you suggested. Am already using lanisoh cream, not working just yet but gotta give it time I guess. Midwife is coming tomorrow so will mention trouble latching and her inability to suck a dummy properly.
I know things will get better I had the same problem with my other daughter and breast fed till 6 months. I think I'm gonna try to mainly express and supplement with formula for a couple of days while my nipples heal and milk production eases off a bit, have just expressed off 7 ounces half an hour ago and now my boobs are rock solid again. :(
Hoping she will sleep a bit better tonight but well just have to wait a d see xx

Has she had her tongue checked. Tj was tongue tied. It hurt n my nipples come out mishaped. Reasearch it hun. Especialy is she cant suck a dummy. Tj couldnt either x

Start:: 215lb current:: 212lb...Goal:: 154lb 58lb to go!! club10 goal 194lb

mrss2010 said:
Can I ask a question? Those that are still getting extra healthy extras, how do u split them eg I'm having a red day today, Charlie is 5 months (on saturday) so I should b having 7 healthy extras today, should I have 4 a and 3 b or 5a & 2b or does it not matter??? Xx

Sorry just bumping to see if anyone replies xxx

Its at least 2 of each on red or green. The other is ur choice. But keep in mind that a would be better for u...for the calcium as u need 1000MG OF calcium when boobyfeedin xx

Start:: 215lb current:: 212lb...Goal:: 154lb 58lb to go!! club10 goal 194lb

Feeling nervous, Keira is now 6 days old and I have to go to a party for my mums birthday this evening. Struggling to find something partyish that doesn't look horrible and show my tummy.

What sort of party foods would have the least amount of syns, obviously I'm not drinking so won't have to worry about that

mummyClark said:
Feeling nervous, Keira is now 6 days old and I have to go to a party for my mums birthday this evening. Struggling to find something partyish that doesn't look horrible and show my tummy.

What sort of party foods would have the least amount of syns, obviously I'm not drinking so won't have to worry about that

Don't worry about syns go have a great time! U had a baby 6 days ago! Ur not supposed to even diet again until she is 6 weeks xxx

Hello everyone n to all the new booby feeding mamas xxx
Dans still bf'ing and is doing well weaning all homemade even on wk away yay me! He has 2 teeth n so far had no nipple biting lol. He still doesnt sleep through the night n never has. You sort of get use to disturbed sleep best thing to do is relax n not stress out. Theres nothing wrong with some day napping n more often than not ill feed him in bed in early morning so i get another hr or so light sleep. No idea how im going to get on when im back at work and on shifts. Ive had nearly an extra 3 mth off on full pay cos work cant organise themselves to support me properly! Ive finally had a nursing mum risk assessment so just playing a waiting game. Doesnt help my ikkle one will not take expressed in a bottle though he did when he was 1/2mth old.
So far ive lost 5st, 3.5st of it since birth which was the 2.5st i put on in pregnancy n 1st more. It comes off fast to start then slows right down, im down to just 1 extra health extra which is hard to get use to lol

Last edited:
Back