Britains fattest man

xKimmiex

Silver Member
Anyone watching this? I really feel like that could be me. I was 23st at 19. I haven't got control. I can't limit what i eat. I'm so scared! I don't know what to do :(

Just watched it, what he way now or is he ....

Dont be scared as you are taking the steps to stop getting that way and that is the most important thing - you are changing your life now and doing a good job so be strong.

It actually really angered me this programme, £100k per year goes on his eating and care...

I do not believe for a second that he could nt of prevented that years ago...

look at us, we are paying ourselves, to manage our weight problems,

we are not sitting there moping at the bottom of a multi pack bag of crisps waiting for things to get so bad we physically can not lose weight without medical intervention...

and to think that when i reach goal, i would have to beg the NHS for a tummy tuck...

Apologies if this is not the opinion of others, but my mum is the manager of an elderly care home, the residents get 3x 30 minute slots per day, they worked hard all their lives paid taxes and i am damn sure barely any of them claimed a penny inbenefits, and yet that man got 12 hours per day of care for eating too much!

I am so proud of each and everyone of us for taking matters into our own hands, accepting that yes, we have a few problems here and there and our weight and health is affected massively by them...

I for one will NEVER let me self get in a state like that...

and Kimmie, neither will u sweet
xxxx

Well said!! I completely agree, i did feel for him but like u say im sure he could have done something befoe it got that bad to help himself! Also at the end before the op he was on a VLCD and he was doing VERY well why didnt someone step in before and suggest it rather than having his 'helper' serve him up anything he wanted?

Rant over :)

Ps sorry if this offends anyone but its just my oppinion, obviously if i ever got into that situation im sure i would think differently! :)

Mr T away with work last night, so I sat and watched it by myself and can't deny I wept buckets! It scared me, so glad I am already on cd!

It is hard to judge whether or not he deserved the funding, after all other addictions cost the NHS huge amounts of money eg drying out costs for alcoholics, medical care for smoking inflicted illnesses and social funding spent on providing care for children brought into the world by addicts who are unable to provide financially or emotionally for their children.
Maybe the medics should have got in earlier who knows, but regardless of the past I hope he can regain his independence and happinness.
I do get where your coming from LL as my dad worked hard all his life, gave us the work ethic and never claimed a penny and now in a care home with dementia, where by some miracle due to his very challenging behaviour he has got temporary funding.....to be reviewed shortly,where I suspect it will be cut and his house be sold and used for a few years care provision before it runs out.

Dementia is absolutely evil, and there are huge issues with lack of government funding for it, no doubt many of my dad's fellow patients who are clearly unable to take care of themselves are self-funding.

Must admit it also gets me that smokers get so much support of NHS when quitting, but as you say LL we have to pay for our weight loss programmes ourselves, unless we qualify for gastric band.

Having said that cheaper for me to be on cd than my carbtastic diet with nightly wine.

Here's to us cders doing it the non-surgical way x

It was quite shocking actually! I was torn between feeling very sorry for him but also feeling he did this to himself!

Ur not alone tho kimmy! I used to always 'joke' that if I carried on as I was doing I'd have to have a crane to get me out of the house. But to b honest I did actually think that. That guy was my size only a few years ago. The only difference being I refuse to let that happen!!! We are now slowly taking control of our diets and that's something that poor man couldn't do!

We will get there hun. PMA (positive mental attitude) that's what will get us thru, that and bloody hard work lol.

Seriously tho. Don't fret, you are well on your way to reaching your goal.
Ccxx

I agree with the caring! My dad was self employed, worked hard for 45 years! At the age of 58 he had a stroke and was given a week to live, he lived and was in hospital 8 months. When he came out my mum (who was a chef and had to give up work) had to beg for help I.e disability benefit. They first gave him the lowest rate! He can't talk properly, can't walk more then a few steps, and lost the use of his arm. They then lost there house because they couldn't afford mortgage.
Sadly my mum passed away not long after they moved into a bungalow. So we got carers in to help. And they was awful!! Wouldn't shower dad all week, turned up at 11am to get him out of bed ect. Makes me soo mad, that that bloke got 12 hours!!! My dad gets 4 calls then is left on his own all day! Apart from family going over when we can!

Didn't see it but agree with what you are all saying - and Kimmie - you aren't like him - you are here doing it for starters and stick with it and by the end of this year (or long before) you will be slim, fit and healthy! You can do it - we all can. Just 3 months ago I was ashamed to get out of the car and collect the kids from school - I was far and away the fattest mum there and I just waddled everywhere and was in the morbidly obese BMI range. Today i walked confidently into the playground looked around and though lots of them are fatter than me (horrible and *****y I know and I would never say it to them - but it was such a strange feeling) and only have a few pounds to go to be in the overweight BMI. We both ahve a similar staring weight so by Easter you will be here too ;-)

I'm 18st4 this morning! Blurgh! Before xmas i saw 16st13!! But due to a month off I put it all back on :,(

I completely feel for anyone who struggles with controlling their food intake. It is an addiction otherwise there wouldn't be so many of us in the same boat. I'm not advocating that Paul Mason didn't take control but I comprehend his addiction. I don't comprehend why he or those around him allowed the weight to continue increasing? His GP, the health centre, the carer who cooked whatever he wanted?

My point is the cost aside in caring for this man, could we as a society just leave this man to eat himself to death? Or should we have simply 'put him to sleep' like an animal who has no quality of life etc. I do not mean to offend anyone but costs to the taxpayer (including me) aside, I felt for this man. I too feel scared, because I now how difficult it is to control my addiction to food. This is a wake up call. I'm glad I have got 2 days of SS under my belt but I know there is even harder work ahead.

i watched that programme and like the some of yu had mixed feeling sof sadness for him and anger, at the end of the day its all about attitude which change behaviour and i felt his attitude was all wrong, also why couldnt the carers just give him a vlcd served up 4 times a day and see the results? its a mix of will power and wanting to be in a better place, which you kimmie have which is y your here.
this programme highlighted the many issues that are wrong in the way the goverment handles and controls the way tax payers money is spent, i mean he was getting £750 allowance a week majority of it went on food and the carer when we have children in deep povertty that get harldy enough to eat one meal a day, its sickening!
perhaps we should geet a tax rebait for being ona vlcl rather than using the nhs??? :)

good luck to you all xxx

It actually really angered me this programme, £100k per year goes on his eating and care...

I do not believe for a second that he could nt of prevented that years ago...

look at us, we are paying ourselves, to manage our weight problems,

we are not sitting there moping at the bottom of a multi pack bag of crisps waiting for things to get so bad we physically can not lose weight without medical intervention...

and to think that when i reach goal, i would have to beg the NHS for a tummy tuck...

Apologies if this is not the opinion of others, but my mum is the manager of an elderly care home, the residents get 3x 30 minute slots per day, they worked hard all their lives paid taxes and i am damn sure barely any of them claimed a penny inbenefits, and yet that man got 12 hours per day of care for eating too much!

I am so proud of each and everyone of us for taking matters into our own hands, accepting that yes, we have a few problems here and there and our weight and health is affected massively by them...

I for one will NEVER let me self get in a state like that...

and Kimmie, neither will u sweet
xxxx

im with you lauren, i watch these programmes, they are bed bound but they have enablers bringing them vast amounts of junk day in, day out. if they brought them a salad or meat and 2 veg what do they think will happen? sure the bed bound person is going to scream, shout and cry at first but in the long run am sure they will understand

as for the 12 hours a day, that annoys me. when i got madam out of hospital i had care for 2 hours a day 3 times a week, the rest of the time it was up to me to keep her alive, having to express milk several times a day, tube feed her, clean up when she vomited it back up, feed her again, ajust her oxygen, do the chest physio, suction her lungs out etc i hardly slept then to top it off my mother was sent to me supposedly for a week, i had her 10 weeks trying to do full time care for 2 people and at that point i was told they were short on carers so they had to cut me down to 1 hour once a week

at my biggest i was eligable for a bypass but decided that wasnt for me and insted i pay vlcd prices myself and like lauren will have to beg for help with the skin afterwards ( very unlikely to get it so will be living the life of a melted candle )

Hear you Claire - My Dr offered me bariatric surgery when I was 1 week onto plan - but i kept going instead. Wasn't there a case in the news last year where some children were taken away from their parents because they (the children) were obese and it was blamed on the parents giving them the wrong food - well why did the carer keep enabling the man... and get paid for doing so....rant rant rant...that money could be so much better spent!

Many valid points of view on this and my view are conflicted. Something, should have been done years ago to help this man, to help the drain on the NHS.......Having said that not sure whether bariatric surgery would have helped him........his attitude on the programmed to not even making an effort to eat healthily wasn't one of man wishing to save his own life....nor it seemed the attitude of the carers, and his health centre or GP.

It just makes me shudder, that food, too much food can 'disable' someone by their very own doing, and 'enablers' continue sabotaging someone like that. Very sad. Enough said. Time to try and understand why I am addicted to food, why I overeat to console myself or celebrate........I may never find the answer but I'll give another go.

OMG! Just read that he was sacked from his job as a postman in the past for opening people's mail to look for money to buy extra food with and is now trying to sue the NHS for allowing him to get so big...........considering the amount of money the state has given him and the NHS I am totally shocked.
Also there's no excuse for stealing money for food, the man had a job with no dependents to provide for and abused people's trust....plus rubbish food is often the cheapest to buy- the junk we all love!

Not sure if I would have shed those tears now knowing these facts, reminds me a bit of Andy in Little Britain! x

xKimmiex said:
I'm 18st4 this morning! Blurgh! Before xmas i saw 16st13!! But due to a month off I put it all back on :,(

Kimmie I know exactly how you feel. I've had the combination of going to America for 2 weeks and Christmas. I was 13st 12lbs the week before I went away at the end of November and finally plucked up the courage to weigh myself on Friday night and weighed 15st 5lbs!!! I was gutted but deep down I knew it would be that bad!!

It scares me how easily the weight flies back on. I stopped doing CD in October for various reasons, my finishing weight was 13st 3lbs. So despite trying to follow a diet of 1000 cals a day I still gained 9lbs. I know some of that is glycogen gain because I didn't come off CD properly. I really want to get the weight off and keep it off but I'm scared that I can't stop it from going on.

So I know how you feel!! Xx

The man views himself as a serial 'victim' - nothing was apparently his fault and his childish behaviour when things didn't go his way and his action now against the NHS (what????:mad:) shows that he still refuses to take responsibility for the mess he got HIMSELF into.
He needs to man up and be thankful for the help he's had.
I can't agree with the term 'carer' for his 12 hour a day help - surely a 'care' package would have included restricting his food intake rather than pandering to his every whim. After all, what could he have done if he was put on a diet?
Pathetic little man, I hope he's laughed out of any court he ends up in with his case against the NHS

Back