Buckwheat Porridge

eye6769

Vegetarian who lives2eat
Ok just cooking buckwheat porridge as we speak, will let you know how it turns out, meant to be lovely, if it is then it is free so would save a HEb for ron

Sounds intriguing, please let us know how it turns out...

Well I made it with water as the recipe says and it was ok. If you have ever cooked brown rice it has the same sort of smell, I added a small amout of sweetner and it was quite nice. I think I could get used to the taste, bit like eating brown bread at first you didnt like it but as you know its good for you you get used to it. I tried a bit in with yogurt and had it cold and it was great, and as it has so many health benefits I am gonna stick with it. It is not a grain at all but a fruit seed from the Rhubarb family.And best of all its FREE

1 and half cups water to 1/3 cup grits. simmer on hob for about 10/15 mins stirring occasionally. add sweetner or fresh fruit etc. Have to say it was very filling and lasted hours which for me is a first. Recipe says it serves two.

I got some in asda ages ago. It's with the grains like cous cous etc in a bag not in a box

x

Oh & you can also get it in tesco with the whole foods or maybe even holland & barrett

yeah I got it in Tesco in the wholefood section. If you have a polish food section you can get it in there as well only you will have to ask the name I have bought it in a box with 5 boil in bags, weird name. lol x

Sorry this is probably a dumb question but is it actually called buckwheat porridge? or just buckwheat? :eek:

Also do you need to soak it or anything before use?

Last edited:
I saw it in a larger Tesco yesterday beside the wholefoods - and it's just called buckwheat. It's a wholegrain like cous cous so you would need to prepare it before you eat it.

I saw it in a larger Tesco yesterday beside the wholefoods - and it's just called buckwheat. It's a wholegrain like cous cous so you would need to prepare it before you eat it.

Thanks :) Going to my local tesco today so will see if they have it :)

Just realized this is a really old post lol

'Kasza Gryczana'- this is its Polish name printed on the boxes of buckwheat available in the international sections of Asia. Otherwise, ask in Polish shops. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi eye6769, I've just been informed by my s/w coach it's a tweak and can damage slimming world progress. Have you heard anything like this before! I only used buckwheat water and skimmed milk so i thought it was free apart from hexA?

It
Hi eye6769, I've just been informed by my s/w coach it's a tweak and can damage slimming world progress. Have you heard anything like this before! I only used buckwheat water and skimmed milk so i thought it was free apart from hexA?[/

Ask your SW consultant to look into it again, you aren’t altering the buckwheat just cooking it as you usually would, so it is NOT a tweak. However if you were to make it into flour then yes it would be a tweak. Hope this helps :) x

Back