Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato - need some inspiration

debs3693

Hi, I'm new to the forum - some great recipes on here! I'm hoping you can give me some recipe ideas on what to do with sweet potato and butternut squash - am loving both of these at the moment but i'm a bit fed up of just roasting them in fry light now.

I was hoping someone might have a good (but easy) curry idea but would welcome any thoughts!
Thanks, Debs :)

You could adapt any curry and use the squash or potato, or the two make a great mash, together or individually. Sweet potatos also make awesome chips!

Hiya, do you have a curry recipe that you would recommend? Am definitely up for trying some sweet potato chips!

I've a recipe for Curried Butternut Squash. I've not cooked it myself but it's in the SLIMMING WORLD CURRY FEAST BOOK .
if u want I'll type it out for u. I love spicy food and have used ths book loads.

Hi Suzy,
Please could I have the recipe for the curried butternut squash? It sounds lovely!

Butternut Squash Curry

This is a really lovely recipe for butternut squash curry and you could add sweet potato to it aswell. It is not a slimming world recipe but it is easy to adapt it to be SW friendly, i.e frylight not oil etc and maybe leave out, or check syns for the creamed coconut. It makes loads.

­ 1kg (2lb) of mixed vegetables (like those in the vegetarian chilli) chopped into 1" squares,
­ 1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 1 inch squares,
­ 3 large onions,
­ 4 cloves garlic,
­ 2 x 400ml tins of chopped tomatoes,
­ 1 pint vegetable stock,
­ 100g (3.5oz) block of creamed coconut,
­ 2 teaspoons each of turmeric, cumin, paprika, coriander, chilli powder, curry powder (medium or hot depending on your preference),
­ Olive oil for cooking,

What you do with all this:
­ Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and then lightly fry the onions and garlic for 15-20 minutes until transparent (do not brown).
­ Transfer this mixture to a side dish then heat some more olive oil in the same pan and put in all the spices and lightly fry for 2-3 minutes.
­ Put the onion mix back in the pan with the spices and mix thoroughly.
­ Add the tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes then remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly before blending it into a smooth mixture.
­ Return the mixture to the heat and stir in the coconut block until it is completely dissolved.
­ You now have a delicious curry sauce to which you can add all the vegetables. Put the lid on the saucepan and simmer gently until the vegetables are cooked to your liking (about 30 minutes).

Hi Suzy,
Please could I have the recipe for the curried butternut squash? It sounds lovely!
SERVES 4
Syns - Free on Green & Original
Can freeze
prep 10 mins
cook 15 mins

Fry Light
1tsp fenugreek seeds
1tsp turmeric
1tsp dried red chilli,crushed
2tsp coriander seeds,lightly crushed
1 butternut squash,peeled,deseeded & cut to bite-sized cubes
2tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
1tsp black peppercorns,crushed
1tsp amchoor (dried mango powder) or 1tbsp lemon juice if preferred
Salt

1. Spray a large non stck frying pan with fry light and place over a high heat. Add the fenugreek seeds to the pan and stir-fry for 15-20 seconds.

2. Then add the turmeric, chilli, corri seeds and the squash and stir-fry for a further 3-4mins.

3. Pour about 250ml/9fl oz of boiling water into the pan and bring all the ingredients to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook gently for 10-12mins. Then uncover and stir in the fennel, peppercorns and the amchoor (or lemon juice) and continue to cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the squash is tender. Season well and serve .

Hope you enjoy ;)

I love my slimming world curry feast book and use it loads but not done this recipe yet . (amazon approx £11)

Thanks toddleo and Suzy! Those recipes are awesome, can't wait to try them! :)

I make butternut squash and red pepper soup nothing stopping you adding the sweet potato too, add carrots, onion, garlic, a vege stock cube, I add herbs, salt and pepper cover with water bring to the boil simmer until soft then blitz with blender if u like a smooth soup . Lovely on a winters night too

Back