Butternut Squash - what do you do with yours

sanicholl

Silver Member
I love butternut squash but I am a bit tired of either roasting it, making soup or mashing it with potato so I was wondering what other people did with theirs!:flirt2:

Chips are my fave but failing that I use it in stews, vurries, and stuffed with bolognese.

x

I dice and roast it with courgettes/peppers/onions and then put it all in a risotto....winter comfort food at its best.
Like the chips idea above though...must try that:D

I use it for chips, roasting, in stews and curries etc - just the usual ways that most of us use it I suppose, I've never tried to mash it, but I expect it would work....it could be used to replace a potato topped dish.

Butternut squash and red lentil curry is lush. Recipe in recipes section. I love it, and never get tired of it. I love roasting half and stuffing it with bolognaise. Chips. Wedges. With 5 spice in soup

Lyna

Risotto

And I found a recipe on the Blue Peter site (don't laugh) for Reggae Reggae Rice. Basically butternut squash in rice with other veggies and coconut milk. It was gorgeous!

Risotto

And I found a recipe on the Blue Peter site (don't laugh) for Reggae Reggae Rice. Basically butternut squash in rice with other veggies and coconut milk. It was gorgeous!

I didn't laugh until 'Reggae Reggae Rice'! It does sound nice, I've never had butternut squash with rice before, so will try it, are there syns in coconut milk?

Basic/Non Branded Foods Kitchen Basics, Coconut, creamed block 28g

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
red.gif
Original 9½ Syns [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
green.gif
[/FONT] Green 9½ Syns
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]

Blue Dragon Coconut Milk, Light, canned 400ml can

red.gif
Original 20½ Syns
green.gif
Green 20½ Syns

Trust me you don't want to know about the full fat version!

There is a recipe for a butternut squash stew with butter beans and cous cous in the new magazine (page 25) which looks wonderful. Can't wait to try it.

There is a recipe for a butternut squash stew with butter beans and cous cous in the new magazine (page 25) which looks wonderful. Can't wait to try it.

I seen that last night and thought that I might give it a go - looks so delish.

Saying that though I was in Tesco last night and they didn't have very many butternut squash and any they did have were over priced. I thought that they were in season at the moment?

If you are very brave and have a mandolin slicer, they make wonderfull crisps done in the oven like chips with frylight. Parsnips, carrots, beetroot all come out delicious done like this.

I use it to bulk out all kinds of stews etc, its perfect!

And also, if you make a risotto with chicken stock and lemon juice and then mix roasted butternut in at the end, its aaamazing!! xx

Basic/Non Branded Foods Kitchen Basics, Coconut, creamed block 28g

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
red.gif
Original 9½ Syns [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
green.gif
[/FONT] Green 9½ Syns
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Blue Dragon Coconut Milk, Light, canned 400ml can

red.gif
Original 20½ Syns
green.gif
Green 20½ Syns

Trust me you don't want to know about the full fat version!

Flipping heck, think will give this a miss, just think of all the wine I'm giving up :eek:

Back