Butternut Squash?

slimdreamer

I know butternut squash is allowed on Dukan but it does seem quite starchy and sweet. Does anyone know if it should be limited or not?

I wondered this too - as it is sweet - and for that reason - oh so delicious

Well I just had some that I roasted and then put a little sweetener and cinnamon and it is delicious!! Teddy67, as you say too good! To me it tastes similar to sweet potatoes.:confused:

It is delish especially as a substitute for potato. But like carrots and beets, I will however have to try to limit it to once a month or so but because I live alone I have it a few times on PV days that week.

Well I finished off a very large butternut squash in two days!! Today was my second pv day and I had the other half of the roasted bns with dinner and also added it to the moist cake. I added nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice and OMG it was delicious!!

I think that even though it is allowed it is definitely very starchy tasting so I will probably pay for it with no loss this week. I don't think I will buy another because I love it too much.:(

Don't understand why there is no more info on it like carrots and rhubarb for example. There seems to be nothing to say it should be limited.

veg

I will probably pay for it with no loss this week. I don't think I will buy another because I love it too much.:(

Ive lost weight every week and had BNS every week sometimes twice so ....... we can have a limited amount of parsnips (yum) but it doesnt mention them in the book. ;)

Wikipedia says to consider it like a pumpkin so I presume Dukan does too. Pumpkin is ok for Dukan and, since I've rarely seen butternut squash over here, I can only presume it's to be treated the same.

If anyone reading has paid for coaching, perhaps you could ask the question and revert? Much obliged!

Wikipedia says to consider it like a pumpkin so I presume Dukan does too. Pumpkin is ok for Dukan and, since I've rarely seen butternut squash over here, I can only presume it's to be treated the same.

If anyone reading has paid for coaching, perhaps you could ask the question and revert? Much obliged!

I've emailed question but i've heard it can take few days for reply. They have info on BNS but as with the carrots no mention at all of limitation - i learned that this week off here and the dukan forum when asking about Parsnips ( interestingly one lady said turnip and parsnip have no limits unlike carrot and beetroot.......) Its all a bit confusing..... I'll await the answer and get back to you!

Parsnips and turnips - I would imagine they have completely different compositions - as turnip like swede is not sweet - whereas parsnips, butternut squash and pumpkin all are towards the sweeter end of the scale.
Hopefully we will get some guidance soon.

Parsnips I'd use very sparingly indeed. An odd Sunday treat. Turnips are fine.

If you look at the nutritional info of carrot v parsnips, you might think they're quite similar until you notice that the carrot info is for 60g and parsnips just 25g.

Calories in Carrots

Calories in Parsnips

I'm up 2.5 lbs!!:( I had three days of pv after three days of pp so I would expect an increase but had my first pp yesterday before weighing so was certainly not expecting to be 2.5 lbs up!!

Here was my question to the team;
Hi can you tell me many times a week i can eat
1) carrots
2) Parsnips
3) Butternut Squash

Thanks
Kerry

Here is the answer;
Answer: Dear Kerry, as you are actually in the cruise phase, you must alternate 1 PP day with 1 PV day. On PV days, you can any vegetable of your choice that are listed in the fridge of your slimming apartment. Butternut squash is perfectly allowed on PV days. As far as carrots and parsnips are concerned, they are also allowed on PV days, but don't eat more than 200 gms (of each) per week, as they are a little bit more sugary than other allowed vegetables. I am at your disposal if you need other help. I hope that you enjoy the diet! You are close to your target, keep going! Kind regards, Cathy, dietician on Official UK Dukan Diet website: Diets for Quick Weight Loss, Diet menus to help you lose weight

Hope this helps everyone x

Many thanks for finding this out - more veggies to add to the list - lovely

<I still advise caution with parsnips as you approach normal BMI>

Thank you Kerryashton for sharing that information.

After my weight gain from the butternut squash I think I will stay away from all three at the moment. I am down this morning but still up a pound and can only put it down to the bns. But very happy at least some of the gain has come off!

Back