Buying clothes

*Emsie*

Gold Member
Just wondering how 'buying clothes' has changed for people on their journey?
I find already I want to buy more clothes more often and get bored of them quickly! but as am getting smaller this is ok at the mo anyway as I of course NEED to buy more ;)
The only thing is I am feeling a bit inbetween in the shops as am around a size 20 so ok am able to buiy from more shops but still not all shops and can stil buy from Evans etc too.
Also I am finding my tastes are changing. I bought a dress at the weekend for my daughters 18th birthday and the people I have shown have said how different it is to what I normally wear! Nice but different! Well I suppose I am different. I love the outfit but it is different and I have also bought heels which is something I never really have done!:eek:
I wondered if anyone else was having any of these experiences or others?

I am at uni and when my student loan comes in each new term, I always used to go with my best friend and treat myself to some new clothes! Over the last year I haven't wanted to do that because I have put on weight and all the clothes I did go for didn't suit my size anymore. So I thought rather than wasting money on clothes I didn't particurlarly like I decided to do something about it and joined SW. So in January I didn't buy any new clothes. I have since lost 11 lbs and am hoping to be at a stone by the 19th april so that when my new loan does come in I will treat myself to some new clothes :) Not many as I still want to lose another 2-3 stone! I have also grown out of my favourite shop (Republic) so I can't wait until I can fit back in to those clothes! xxxx

I have a real quandry here- On one hand I am desperate to go out and shop for my new size in all the shops I have never been able to go in before, and on the other I know it is a bit of a waste because in a couple of months the clothes will be too big!

Last September my husband took me out shopping for my birthday and I got loads of new things which I loved (size 16). I couldn't wear a lot of them over winter so have just got them out again and they are all too baggy (now 12-14)!

I am also a bit of a shop virgin as I only ever went in large size shops before. I have just discovered shops like Oasis, Republic, River Island, etc and still feel like I don't belong. Like everyone must be staring at me and thinking "what is SHE doing in here?" then I catch a glimpse of myself and am surprised to see I don't look out of place.

Can't wait to get to target- I am going to buy SO much!

I have a real quandry here- On one hand I am desperate to go out and shop for my new size in all the shops I have never been able to go in before, and on the other I know it is a bit of a waste because in a couple of months the clothes will be too big!

Last September my husband took me out shopping for my birthday and I got loads of new things which I loved (size 16). I couldn't wear a lot of them over winter so have just got them out again and they are all too baggy (now 12-14)!

I am also a bit of a shop virgin as I only ever went in large size shops before. I have just discovered shops like Oasis, Republic, River Island, etc and still feel like I don't belong. Like everyone must be staring at me and thinking "what is SHE doing in here?" then I catch a glimpse of myself and am surprised to see I don't look out of place.

Can't wait to get to target- I am going to buy SO much!

Isn't republic just the best! Miso is my favourite brand, so pretty! hehe And well done on your fab weight loss! xx

Isn't republic just the best! Miso is my favourite brand, so pretty! hehe And well done on your fab weight loss! xx
It is! I had never even been into one up until about 2 months ago. It seems to be a bit like 'All Saints' but without the whopping price tags! I bought a Miso Cardigan that my 15 year old neice said was 'well cool' so I guess it got the seal of approval!

Thanks, doll!

I buy most of my clothes second-hand - on eBay or at charity shops. It was the only way I could afford the smart clothes I needed for the office, while I was working, and now I won't spend full price on clothes unless I absolutely have to. Now I am retired, I need different kinds of clothes, but still like to spend as little as possible.

I did get some new trousers from M&S last week, but they were in the half price sale and anyway I had some vouchers to spend.

The brands I like are Ulla Popken and Ann Harvey, which are not cheap, and there are fantastic bargains to be had on eBay - many of them from people losing weight like us, who have bought them, worn them a few times, and now they are too big.

I bought a lovely Elvi blouse the other day from a charity shop for £5, and some black leather Reebok trainers for £6.50 (with silver stripes!!) They are men's trainers, but as my feet are rather wide (not as wide as they were, but still wide) they fit me perfectly.

If I have bought clothes cheaply then I don't feel bad about wearing them for a short time. In fact I feel quite virtuous about it, because when they are too big for me they can go back to the charity shop to be sold all over again. My contribution to charity, and recycling at its best!!

I am totally addicted to buying new clothes! It is fabulous to be able to try on clothes you like, rather than just what they have in your size. I have to be strict with myself or I'd buy something new every time I go shopping! I already have loads of clothes - though many of them from last time I was slim (15 years ago), which don't seem to have dated (little denim dress and short suede skirt).

Me and a few girlfriends recently had a clothes swap evening and I ended up with loads of stuff I'd never have even considered trying - all for free! It's a great idea, as there's alwys soemone who has either lost or gained weight and has stuff to give away - or has just got bored with their own wardrobe.

In the 'Off topic' section there is a clothes exchange sticky post - just to let everyone know!!! :D

I forget its there sometimes, perhaps we should revive it!!! xxx

i'm living in leggings at the moment as i too am in between sizes plus i dont want to shop too much between now and target - maybe just a couple of treats to reward myself along the way!!

for me, its underwear! at my biggest i was a 36c, now i'm a 34d (dont ask i dont know how that happened either) and at my smallest i am normally a 32dd which is what i am aiming for!

I'm the same as most peeps on here - don't really want to spend on clothes until I get to target but also don't fit my bigger clothes and want to change my style to match my new figure and how I'm feeling! I've bought a couple of pretty tops from Primark recently and my best friend 'made' me try on a dress I would never have picked up in a million years, I tried it on and although it takes me a bit of getting used to, as I've dressed a certain way all my life, I love it and OH does too! When I get to target my bestest is taking me shopping as she seems to know what suits me better than I do and will help me change my style for the better xxxx

I haven't been buying clothes for a long long while, because i wanted to hide away in black, i had enough black clothes to last a lifetime.

but now i've lost some weight i've bought three tops recently, one blue and two flowery!!! it's so no like me! i'm wearing one tonight and i think people are going to be shocked to see me in colour!!

bye bye black!

Hey guys, I'm so excited about clothes- I used to be so passionate about them when I was size 12-14, and even 16, but as I got bigger I started HATING clothes shopping because I disgusted myself at how awful I looked! Don't get me wrong, I have still made the effort to look as good as possible for my size, but it really got me down, hence the need for change!! I'm back down to a size 16 (only in some makes though like Lady Dorothy of Perkinshire, New Look and Red Herring at Debenhams) but I'm starting to get that sparkle back when it comes to clothes!! I fear the day when I'm a comfortable size 12 (which is my ultimate aim!) because I'm going to be lethal!! But at least I'll be able to shop in places like Primark and get loads for my money, Oasis, Warehouse, River Island sometimes, and just buy the odd pricier treat from Monsoon, Laura Ashley, Whistles, and Coast (certainly a small spree when I reach target will have to be done- goodness knows how I'll afford it!!!) I'm excited but worried at the same time- As for the now, I've got some 'smaller' clothes that I kept, but not that many- I'm now kicking myself for giving away so many- I thought at the time there was no point in keeping them because it was just 'wishful thinking' that I was going to lose weight!!! How silly!! Cocktail Princess, it will probably take a while for it to sink in that you're now nice and slim!! You'll still attach that 'fat' label to yourself as it's been engrained for so long, but I hope you do soon realise that you've got as much right to buy skinny clothes as the skinny girls who've never had a weight problem!! Fern was talking about exactly this the other day- isn't it awful how our self esteem issues stay with us even when we make positive changes!!XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I dream about being able to walk into certain shops and try on clothes... Oasis, All Saints, Urban Outfitters, Hollister, Gap... I've never head of Miso or Republic but add them to the list!!

Too much time spent in Evans and online at Simply Be methinks...!!

My advice... get to Primarni and buy a couple of things that fit you right now, at that price you can always chuck them when they get too big xx

I dream about being able to walk into certain shops and try on clothes... Oasis, All Saints, Urban Outfitters, Hollister, Gap... I've never head of Miso or Republic but add them to the list!!

Too much time spent in Evans and online at Simply Be methinks...!!

My advice... get to Primarni and buy a couple of things that fit you right now, at that price you can always chuck them when they get too big xx

Thats exactly what I am going to do! My mum bought me a new pair of jeans for christmas from river island, I put them on today and they fell down! haha So im going to primark 2moro to buy some cheap jeans, I only ever get my jeans from river and the ones I have now were a little big a crimbo but I couldn't fit into the size below, but now they are far too big!!! Although technically I haven't gone down a dress size I am on my way to the next size below! hehe xx

Thats exactly what I am going to do! My mum bought me a new pair of jeans for christmas from river island, I put them on today and they fell down! haha So im going to primark 2moro to buy some cheap jeans, I only ever get my jeans from river and the ones I have now were a little big a crimbo but I couldn't fit into the size below, but now they are far too big!!! Although technically I haven't gone down a dress size I am on my way to the next size below! hehe xx
New Look do nice jeans at just £10- I have these now in every size down from 20. My 14s are big now so getting some new ones tomorrow. I refuse to spend more than £10 on something that will only last a couple of months!

Since i've started the diet I haven't really bought any new clothes. All mine still fit me! :( lol I have noticed my jeans are getting looser (size 20) and I did try a pair of 18's on in New look a couple of weeks ago and they kinda fitted me. I've lost the weight around my thighs and hips, but waist is still the same so didnt look quite right! I've so far lost 1st 4lbs, so am aiming to go trying more things on again once i've lost 2 stone :)

Back