calling all Irish peeps. :-)

anj_i_am

Anj-tastic
This is a bit of a weird one and totally not ww related but I was wondering if I could pick ur brains....
My ex bf is moving to Galway in month. Hes been offered a job there and they are helping him to relocate, you know, find a place and stuff. (Just so you know I'm pretty devistated about the whole thing, I'm still pretty much in love with him and hes still my best friend and my rock. I want to help him though as he isn't going to stay for me so I want him to be prepared. Aside from my mother, who left RoI about 55 years ago, you lot on here are the only Irish folks I know so I said id try and get some info from you).
Basically he needs to know general, every day stuff..... ie. What sort of income tax do you pay? Is there national insurance and an NHS type thing or do you need private medical care? What tv channels do you have? (Lol). What utilities do you generally pay for when renting (are bills often included) and do you pay council tax? What's the best mobile phone network? I cant really think of what else but you catch my drift. Any info you could pass on would be great.

Thanks for your help. I only found out last night and I'm very sad about the whole thing but it will be good to visit him as ive never been to Ireland and it will be nice to finally get to see where my family are from.

Hiya Anj... Well as much as I can help I will.. Mobile phone network.. as he's gona b in touch with the UK allot i'd say O2.. As he can webtext internationally... He may be able do the same on other networks, i'm not 100% but O2 hav fairly good deals too..
Council tax = No.. No water tax as yet.. But we do pay a bin tax (this may be included in his rent or he can buy bin tags in the local shop, pop it on the bin n leave it out for collection)
We have a PRSI system where we can claim back tax for health care but only if ya'v paid in a certain amount and there's a limit to how many times ya can claim.. Its pretty crap TBH.. BUT.. You dont hav to have VHI/Bupa etc.. You can pay to see docs/dentists... It it quite expensive tho.. e50 a visit to see a GP.. plus prescription costs...
Rent - depends on the landlord as regards bills being included.. It does happen but I think most commonly they aren't included.. I live in Dublin and its allot more expensive to rent here so I can't even guess at amounts for Galway.. But he (you) can check out www.daft.ie or www.myhometolet.ie and you should get a general idea..
TV - without paying for "pipe" or digital TV we get RTE 1, RTE 2, TV 3 and TG4.. But he can get UPC basic/Sky basic for e20 a month...
If he's gona be driving tell him to really spend time checking around as it can vary HUGELY... I was getting renewals recently and got 1 quote of e1,200 for just me, and got it in the end for e314 for both myself and my boyfried!!

Hope this helps (some of it at least)
Feel free to pop by if ya'v anymore questions.. I'd also be happy to visit our local Citizens Info Bureau if ya need any leaflets etc on anything in particular for ya..

Chin up hun.. His move may even bring u back together.. If its meant to be.. it will be!!!

Oh.. RE: Bills..
We get ESB bills every other month..
Heating will depend on whether its gas heating, electric heating or oil.. Obviously electric is included in the ESB bill and I think the gas bill will be the same.. Am almost sure he wont have oil heating as its bought in bulk and upfront and it wouldn't be fair.. But I can't be sure of that..

Thanks for this info Frances.
The bin tax is really odd....... so you basically pay for them to take away your rubbish??? That is completely alien to me. Lol.
We were looking at o2 today (we work together for o2 here in the Uk - another reason why this is so hard- so we checked o2 1st today.) I cant believe how expensive it is!!! Crazy money. People would go mental if we charged as much here.
You guys dont have freeview typeservice for tv there?
I don't really understand healthcare. Is there a website? I think the company give him private care or insurance or something.
He is thinking about taking his car from here over but I guess he will have to pay registration fees and stuff. Might get super expensive. Need to research more....
What supermarkets do you guys have? Also, do you have the same shops as Uk for clothes and things (I'm asking mostly for me so I can go shopping when i visit. Lol)
Thanks for your help hun. Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks for this info Frances.
The bin tax is really odd....... so you basically pay for them to take away your rubbish??? That is completely alien to me. Lol.
We were looking at o2 today (we work together for o2 here in the Uk - another reason why this is so hard- so we checked o2 1st today.) I cant believe how expensive it is!!! Crazy money. People would go mental if we charged as much here.
You guys dont have freeview typeservice for tv there?
I don't really understand healthcare. Is there a website? I think the company give him private care or insurance or something.
He is thinking about taking his car from here over but I guess he will have to pay registration fees and stuff. Might get super expensive. Need to research more....
What supermarkets do you guys have? Also, do you have the same shops as Uk for clothes and things (I'm asking mostly for me so I can go shopping when i visit. Lol)
Thanks for your help hun. Sorry for so many questions.
No you're fine. Ask away. If I can answer, I will :)
Bin tax - Yes that's exactly it! We have to pay to get rid of our rubbish!! Its to encourage recycling.. We have a black bin. A brown bin. And a green bin.. the black is for general waste.. The green for cans/paper/plastic etc.. no glass!! and the brown for food waste... Its e8 I think for a bin tag and i'm not sure if ya pay for the green one to be taken.. I dont think we do but not 100% as I still live at home..

TV - No freeview as such.. But there are services where you make 1 payment of a couple of hundred and its free to view from then.. Am not sure how good it is or what stations are on it.. but my BF has said this is what he wants to get if/when we move in together..

Car - Yea he'll hafta pay a VRT to swap it over. Again, no idea how much that would cost. I think it depends on the car year, engine size.. We also have to have an NCT (national car test) for cars over 4 years old.. And its done every 2 years after! Then we pay an annual car tax. This is quite high too and price depends on the engine size. You can check www.motortax.ie for this info

Supermarkets - We have Tesco. Dunnes. Superquinn. Aldi. Lidl.
Clothes - We have all the UK shops from River Island, A-Wear, Top Shop, New Look, Dorothy Perkins, Marks n Spencer, Next...

Health service - Erm... I think you might find out on www.hse.ie TBH I don't know what we're entitled to and what we'r not.. Government make a small fortune on me as I never claim anything... Really must start... :)

Do you know how long rental contracts typically are? Usually 6 months here. Are they longer?
Would it be stupid for me to go too? I need to change things and it could be a way out.

Do you know how long rental contracts typically are? Usually 6 months here. Are they longer?
Would it be stupid for me to go too? I need to change things and it could be a way out.
Mostly 12 months here but you can get 6 monthly and you can get 12 month with potential for longer.. So basically it a vacant place and as long as both you and the landlord are happy it just renews...

As for you coming too... I don't really know the situation/circumstances.. But.. If you want to come in the hope of rekindling your romance... I'd be afraid you were setting yourself up to be hurt.. Maybe sit down and have a good heart to heart with him???

Back