Calorie BARGAIN!

Lady Marmalade

Bad girl warning...
When you figure out a recipe or food combo that gives you a really satisfying nosh for relatively few calories. I'm beginning to find that this is one of the true pleasures of calorie counting!

For instance, for brekkie tomorrow I've decided to have a bacon & egg butty. Sinful! But I'm using turkey rashers - 25 cals each, less than half that of regular lean bacon. Weight Watchers white Danish bread - 50 cals a slice. I'm letting the egg fry very slowly in 1 cal spray of oil just to keep it from sticking - 76 cals. A little low fat olive spread - 20 cals. Brown sauce, 15.

261 cals (and only 10g fat) for what I'm sure will be a very satisfying breakfast - calorie BARGAIN!

What are your favourite calorie bargains? :D

oo what a good idea, and that sounds lovely hope you enjoy it!
i had 2 rashers of healthy living bacon 65 cals, on a bagel 205 cals for brekky this am, only 270 cals and it was absolutely srumptious(not sure how to spell that one lol) i would love to hear more

Great thread. I love a bargain!

I love to drown my meals in Bisto Best roast beef gravy (31 cals per 10g dried weight). It turns a potentially boring dish of lean meat with veg into a tasty non-diet tasting treat. Hits the spot for me everytime.

Also love my sugar free diet pops. Pepsi Max is my fave. Again doesn't seem like you are on a diet.

OH LM, I read your thread last night, and when i got up this morning all i could think about was a bacon and egg sandwich, had one, it was marvelous!

Calories were a tad more but I am having a late lunch.

Mine is also a bacon sandwich - Nimble bread, 2 slices of grilled HL bacon - 165 cals.
Though... I usually have 2...

I am also addicted to WW Chicken soup - 98 cals a tin, and its HONESTLY just as good as Heinz regular chicken soup.

Wonder if a diet of chicken soup and bacon butties would work...!

Ooh, good one. Although I don't eat fried egg, so I'd have a WW sausage with it, yum!

I LOVE the Tesco baby new potatoes in herb butter. For half a pack it's 135 calories, and you get loads of them! They're so tasty, and really feel like a treat.

Also, philadelphia extra light. It's fantastic, for 30g of it it's only 33 cals. I have it on crackers, breadsticks or just toast. Gorgeous, and you can use alot more of it than low fat marg.

I also agree with the WW soups being fab. The tomato and chicken tastes exactly like the Heinz stuff.

Making your own soups is also great, they are so low in calories, but are filling and gets lots of veg into your diet. I make one with a base of chopped tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and veg stock, then loads of veg like celery, carrots, onion, turnip. It's only 78 calories a bowl and because the veg are left chunky it feels really filling.

My butty was scrummy, having the same thing again tomorrow!

Ooh yes I love the WW soups too, the chicken noodle one is only 50 cals!

I love to drown my meals in Bisto Best roast beef gravy (31 cals per 10g dried weight). It turns a potentially boring dish of lean meat with veg into a tasty non-diet tasting treat. Hits the spot for me everytime.

Good one. I often get the Schwartz pouches of ready made gravy, the onion one is yummy and only 24 cals for half a pack.

Ooooh I Love calorie bargains!

I have discovered porridge with cocoa powder mixed in and a little golden syrup on top - 150 to 200cals (depending on how much you have!) and nice and filling too.

For a treat in hot weather there's a couple of things.. Mr men ice lollies in orange & vanilla and raspberry & vanilla only 30cals and taste really good. Also asda do packs of individual icecreams - well they're called frozen mousse. Raspberry ripple, yum. only 70cals a pot.

Quorn is a definite calorie bargain: tastes just like meat but is a lot less calories :)

OH! Forgot to mention, I found tesco do an individual size pizza but it's only 200cals!! Tastes like a normal pizza too, nom. That's a total calorie bargain.

i think fish fingers are a calorie bargain! they're only 50 cals each and you can have a mountain of steamed veg with 4 fish fingers for only 300 cals! BARGAIN!

OH! Forgot to mention, I found tesco do an individual size pizza but it's only 200cals!! Tastes like a normal pizza too, nom. That's a total calorie bargain.

Oooh, I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I know M&S do a 'Count on Us' range small individual ham & mushroom pizza that's about 350 cals, I might have one this weekend with a mountain of salad. I do miss pizza.

If I need a pizza fix, I go for the smaller of the Pizza Express ones from Tescos, the sloppy giuseppe one is 650ish cals for the full thing, which is PERFECT for the really bad days.

yes, I am an extreme comfort eater, you people know that already hehe!

pizza express(eat in) legera (the ones with the hole and salad in the middle) are such a bargain when you are out at 500 cals - you can even be naughty and have a desert, 1 scoop of the coffee ice cream is 140 cals so yumma!

Ooh I love pizza, will have to get some of those Tesco ones.

The ready-meals by 'Ross' are quite good, I think most, if not all of them, are under 400cals, and they're a good enough size. The only problem is the cauliflower cheese one has very thin sauce, so I always have a slice of low cal bread on standby to mop it up.

My mushroom risotto (75g rice, loads frozen mushrooms, chicken stock and spring onions)

About 350 cals yumma - really satisfying

Kimber, this is going tomake me sound stupid... can you please tell me how to make risotto????! That sounds lovely!

Far as I know with risotto, you put all the ingredients in including sauce, then let the rice cook in the sauce & ingredients so that the rice absorbs the flavour. Might need to cook the other veggies first but probably not.

Auburn

Is really easy but patience is the key!

Thinly slice 3 spring onions
Bring a pan to heat with a couple of sprays of fry light and a pich of salt and pepper
Gently fry off the onion for 30 secs then add all the rice
Sprinkle stock cube on the mix and then add mushrooms (frozen are the key the just have amazing flavour)
Stir for about 1 min
Add about 200 ml boiling water - keep stiring, bring to boil (turn up to heat as necessary)
Keep adding water and stirring until a creamy, thick smooth risotto is made

Yumma yumma!

Back