Calorie counting an fruitand veg!!

kae

gunna be a fatty for ever
Hey there!!

Ive been calorie counting for about 2 weeks now im stickin to around 1300 cals and am starting to begrudge spending my cals on fruit and veg!!!

I was wondering if any one else counts the calories for their fruit and veg intake cos ive heard a couple of people say that they dont!!

I think if you count fruit an veg you are limiting your intake of them cos i could eat it allll day long!!! Ive got a real sweet/chocolate tooth!! and when i get a craving i just munch on some strawberrys or grapes and zap the demons in my head lol

Thanks for your advice lurrrve katie
xxx

I do count them, I always try and have fruit at breakfast with maybe some weetabix or other cereal, then have veg with my lunch and dinner. I find it bulks out my meals for less cals.
I sometimes have a WW meal or something I've cooked and frozen myself, and I think I'd be starving if i didn't add veg to it. x

I believe that you could easily avoid counting them and eat them in unlimited quantities, and you'll still lose weight. You are already starting with a number (1300 calories) that is quite low for your size. Therefore, if you end up eating another 300 to 500 calories in fruits and veggies, you are still below your maintenance calories and will likely lose weight.

I have noticed that the more fruits and veggies I eat, the less I will end up eating "other" stuff. Aside from the number of calories, there are theories that processed foods slow down weight loss and lots of certain fruits and veggies (alkaline ones) assist weight loss.

Bottom line, I would stuff myself with as many fruits and veggies as I could and just count the other stuff.

I do count them, I always try and have fruit at breakfast with maybe some weetabix or other cereal, then have veg with my lunch and dinner. I find it bulks out my meals for less cals.
I sometimes have a WW meal or something I've cooked and frozen myself, and I think I'd be starving if i didn't add veg to it. x

Thanks for the reply!! I too bulk out ww meals with veg. i like the birds eye steam ones that you pop in microwave!

Wil defo try the fruit woth breakie! I tend to have cereal and a slice of toast or i get munchies by 11!! lol

love katiexxx

I believe that you could easily avoid counting them and eat them in unlimited quantities, and you'll still lose weight. You are already starting with a number (1300 calories) that is quite low for your size. Therefore, if you end up eating another 300 to 500 calories in fruits and veggies, you are still below your maintenance calories and will likely lose weight.

I have noticed that the more fruits and veggies I eat, the less I will end up eating "other" stuff. Aside from the number of calories, there are theories that processed foods slow down weight loss and lots of certain fruits and veggies (alkaline ones) assist weight loss.

Bottom line, I would stuff myself with as many fruits and veggies as I could and just count the other stuff.

Thanks for that! Well i tried lots of different calorie counting website were quoting 1800 - 1100 cals a day and when i was doing the high amount i was feeling like id eaten too much and only loosing 1lb a week. At the min im using my fitness pal and they say 1350 an tbh i do find my self going over by 100 - 200 cals!!

Will continue stuffing my face then lol

love katie
xxxxx

Some fab advice from pumpkin and ace. Bulking out your meals with loads of vegetables, and snacking on lots of fruit, are two fantastic ways of keeping hunger at bay and staying on track!

For the first year of my weight loss I shed over 6 stone by giving myself an unlimited free allowance of fruit and vegetables every day. I felt that if they kept me away from chocolate and chips then they were worth their relatively low cal expenditure. I only started keeping an eye on how many cals I was consuming in fruit and veg when I hit a plateau trying to lose the last stone - I had to reluctantly fess up that I was munching my way through over 1000 cals a day in fruit and veg... so it had got a bit out of hand!! :p

But even on that intake I was maintaining my weight, and I only had to trim a little bit to get the losses going again. So I'd definitely say to eat fruit and vegetables as freely as you like, especially in the earlier stages of weight loss. I still have 500g of broccoli and a load of other vegetables with my evening meal every day. Sounds gluttonous, and it probably is, but hey, it keeps me happy!

Only thing I'd say is maybe be savvy with the types of fruit you munch on. Generally eat them with carefree abandon, but if possible go for berries of all types (extremely low, big bang for your calorie buck and so good for you!) and passionfruit, pineapple, oranges, apricots, melon, peaches, nectarines, baby plum tomatoes... that sort of thing. Beware too many large bananas or figs or big portions of dried fruit - although they're certainly better than any processed junk - the cals can easily mount up.

i heartily agree with iris,

i count everything coz that's the point of calorie counting in my opinion, but defo dont worry about going over your cals with a bit of fruit or veg!

i would recommend that you eat as much veg as you like, but watch the fruit coz the natural sugars do bump up the cals quite a bit without you realising. again, iris is spot on with the berries - om nom and pretty low cal compared to others :)

good luck with your loss hun, we'll all be here to help you :)

Some fab advice from pumpkin and ace. Bulking out your meals with loads of vegetables, and snacking on lots of fruit, are two fantastic ways of keeping hunger at bay and staying on track!

For the first year of my weight loss I shed over 6 stone by giving myself an unlimited free allowance of fruit and vegetables every day. I felt that if they kept me away from chocolate and chips then they were worth their relatively low cal expenditure. I only started keeping an eye on how many cals I was consuming in fruit and veg when I hit a plateau trying to lose the last stone - I had to reluctantly fess up that I was munching my way through over 1000 cals a day in fruit and veg... so it had got a bit out of hand!! :p

But even on that intake I was maintaining my weight, and I only had to trim a little bit to get the losses going again. So I'd definitely say to eat fruit and vegetables as freely as you like, especially in the earlier stages of weight loss. I still have 500g of broccoli and a load of other vegetables with my evening meal every day. Sounds gluttonous, and it probably is, but hey, it keeps me happy!

Only thing I'd say is maybe be savvy with the types of fruit you munch on. Generally eat them with carefree abandon, but if possible go for berries of all types (extremely low, big bang for your calorie buck and so good for you!) and passionfruit, pineapple, oranges, apricots, melon, peaches, nectarines, baby plum tomatoes... that sort of thing. Beware too many large bananas or figs or big portions of dried fruit - although they're certainly better than any processed junk - the cals can easily mount up.

Hey there thanks for that!! And well done on your weight loss!!

Ive been eating things like grapes, apples, oranges, cherries, strawberrys, peaches, plums, kiwis.
And veggies are usually babycorns, carrots, musshies, beansprouts, peppers.

Am i heading in the right direction?

Thanks for your advice!!

Love katie
xx

Hey there thanks for that!! And well done on your weight loss!!

Ive been eating things like grapes, apples, oranges, cherries, strawberrys, peaches, plums, kiwis.
And veggies are usually babycorns, carrots, musshies, beansprouts, peppers.

Am i heading in the right direction?

Thanks for your advice!!

Love katie
xx

Hi Katie, sounds great to me! Feel free to chow down on basically any veggie that takes your fancy. Plenty of the dark green leafy type will do you so much good if you can manage them. Blue dragon does a great range of stir-fry sauce sachets - the sweet soy and garlic/ginger one is only 50ish cals for half the sachet and it's great at jazzing up a big pan of veggies and prawns and serving with low cal noodles. Strange thing I've found - radishes are great in stir-fries! So low and when you chop them and cook them up in the sauce they're like a sweet-ish waterchestnut. Tasty and filling!

Broccoli's my number one, though - I get through 9 lbs of the stuff a week!

Hi Fellow Friday Girl
I agree with everyone but Rhuba said what I was going to say. I would count fruit. Fruit is very high in sugars, and so sends the bodys blood sugars mad, and can cause hunger. Most nutritionalist would say try and keep your fruit to a min of about 3 portions a day, and stick to the lower GI ones such as apples, strawberries, kiwis etc. Fruits like melon bananas pears are really high, and do cause hunger. Veg, I would work away with, I do count them, but only cause the calorie counter that I use counts your 5 a day portions too!!!
Great little munchers are sugar snap peas by the way.
Hope this helps somewhat.
xx

ooooh you bet me to it!! Lol thanks for your advice hun!!!

Love katie xxx

Back