Calorie Counting DOES work...

Well done domane, you sound very motivated!! I am also going to be CC'ing and fasting, except I'll fast for 14 hours each day. I'm not doing either at the moment. I love it when you get to the zone that your at, where you are getting full with the food and the diet is more a way of life.

littlemiss said:
Well done domane, you sound very motivated!! I am also going to be CC'ing and fasting, except I'll fast for 14 hours each day. I'm not doing either at the moment. I love it when you get to the zone that your at, where you are getting full with the food and the diet is more a way of life.

I've been doing daily fasting for a while now - it rrally suits me. :) xx

Really Tracy? Please tell me all about it....how many hours do you fast? How many cals do you have when not fasting, how has it effected your losses/how you feel?

littlemiss said:
Really Tracy? Please tell me all about it....how many hours do you fast? How many cals do you have when not fasting, how has it effected your losses/how you feel?

I just use the 14:10 method of not eating for 14 hours each day, then fitting my 1,500 calories into a 10 hour period. I do feel better in general, and I know it's meant to have various health benefits. But mostly I do it because it suits the way I like to eat ie. with the majority of my calories late in the day. As for losses, it's hard to say because I've lost 9 stone now so my losses have slowed as I get towards target, but I am losing consistently even now, so as I said, it does suit me to eat like this and I can see me carrying on doing it in the long term. :) xx

I just use the 14:10 method of not eating for 14 hours each day, then fitting my 1,500 calories into a 10 hour period. I do feel better in general, and I know it's meant to have various health benefits. But mostly I do it because it suits the way I like to eat ie. with the majority of my calories late in the day. As for losses, it's hard to say because I've lost 9 stone now so my losses have slowed as I get towards target, but I am losing consistently even now, so as I said, it does suit me to eat like this and I can see me carrying on doing it in the long term. :) xx

This is interesting. I am losing the baby weight, have 1st 12lb to pre preg weight (Millie's 13 weeks old) but I want to lose 2st 12lb, I like to have my calories in the evening so this could work for me! Xx

Nikki<3 said:
This is interesting. I am losing the baby weight, have 1st 12lb to pre preg weight (Millie's 13 weeks old) but I want to lose 2st 12lb, I like to have my calories in the evening so this could work for me! Xx

Me too! I eat my main meal no earlier than 9.30pm, so have more than half my calories for the day in the evening. :) xx

Tracy Do you mind if I ask you a couple more questions?....

I'm the same as you, I like to eat later in the day....what time do you finish eating eat? I have this strange thing where I cant go to bed hungry, so I must eat something substantial right before bed (I know!..)

You said you eat 1500 cals, have you always had that amount, or have you reduced...I weigh more than you so would maybe need to eat more, but I've tried eating more and don't lose (not while doing fasting tho) I want to start around 1500 and possibly reduce as the stones go down?

What have your losses been like? What do you lose on average every week (more so when you weighed more)

As you can gather i'm trying to build myself up to starting this. This week has went off track...And I need a plan. This seems simple...14 hour fast...1500 cals a day. Think I will start this tonight. I was out for a big meal tonight so I think it would be a good time to start coz im not hungry in the slightest and could def go to bed without food tonight

xxxx

littlemiss said:
Tracy Do you mind if I ask you a couple more questions?....

I'm the same as you, I like to eat later in the day....what time do you finish eating eat? I have this strange thing where I cant go to bed hungry, so I must eat something substantial right before bed (I know!..)

You said you eat 1500 cals, have you always had that amount, or have you reduced...I weigh more than you so would maybe need to eat more, but I've tried eating more and don't lose (not while doing fasting tho) I want to start around 1500 and possibly reduce as the stones go down?

What have your losses been like? What do you lose on average every week (more so when you weighed more)

As you can gather i'm trying to build myself up to starting this. This week has went off track...And I need a plan. This seems simple...14 hour fast...1500 cals a day. Think I will start this tonight. I was out for a big meal tonight so I think it would be a good time to start coz im not hungry in the slightest and could def go to bed without food tonight

xxxx

Hi, hon. Ask away by all means! I finish eating around 10.15pm and go to bed at 10.30pm - like you, I don't like going to bed hungry! I then start eating at 12.30pm the next day, with a tiny snack, then lunch at 1.30pm on work days, later if I'm off. Calorie wise, I started on around 1,800 to 2,000 and reduced it from there. I won't go much below 1,500 now, it's not necessary and would make me miserable, lol. The question I'm afraid I'm a bit useless on is the rate of my losses. For the first year I only got weighed every two months, by my GP. Then I started weighing at home a bit more frequently, but I've never tracked it properly in terms of how much a week until recently. Now it's about a pound a week because it's slowed down. I do the daily fasting more because I've read about the health benefits and because it suits my eating patterns, rather than to get boosted weight losses.

Hope this is at least partly helpful! :) xx

Yes Tracy that's really helpful. Thanks.

Your reasons for doing this are the same as mine. I seem to be ok during the day not being hungry but not so at night. I have been known to have 5 different snacks through the evening (within my cals) just so i'm constantly eating. But recently I've been ok with just having dinner then a packet of low fat crisps and a yogurt before bed. If im ravenous i'll have cereal or toast.

My eating isn't very unhealthy just now, its just careless. I don't binge though which i'm happy about. But im not losing weight. As you know, I have lost weight before by eating 1000 cals a day,I started at 15st and finished at 10st and had the same cals throughout & lost consistently every week - 2/3lbs on average, plus I maintained for years until having baby no.2) in saying that, when I look back, it was difficult with dinners, and I found it hard to eat separately. For example, I work full time now & have 2 kids, so I would rather cook 1 meal rather than 2, so I think to do this my cals need to be higher. I am very tempted to go back to 1000 a day, I have to admit, but that's because I know it works, whereas nothing else has ever worked for me. I want to give myself a few weeks at a higher cal, and if it really isn't working then i'll go down gradually. I don't think its sustainable to eat 1000 a day, I know I managed to maintain, but I didn't stick to 1000 cals (I ate stupidly going thro phases of eating & starving to maintain that)

Sorry i'm rambling....

I'm going to have a look at MFP and see what they recommend, theres no way i'll be going higher than 1500. I'll see what it says. My stopping and starting times will be 11pm - 1pm hopefully moving onto 10-12

:)

Hi hon. I did the 1,000 calories or less a day dieting when I was 20, and all I would say is that it's the worst mistake I ever made. Yes, you lose weight, but it's not healthy and it's not sustainable. I've ended up with 30 years of yo-yo dieting, eating disorders, heart failure and eventual morbid obesity, and I believe it all stemmed from that period of ill-advised dieting. You can probably tell from that that I do not recommend adopting that method, lol. I'd stick with a sensible number like 1,500 and try the daily fasting if that suits you. The weight will come off. :) xx

Mean to say you look great in you pic and well done on your hardwork! You make cc'ing sound easy...maybe I should simoly give a a real go instead of messing around like I have been doing lately!

Thanks Tracy - I agree about 1000 cals, It did help me then but its not sustainable as u said. I had a look on MFP and it said I should eat 1200 cals I thought that was a bit low, i'll need to check again, mind you I put in that I do 0 exercise and sit at a desk all day maybe that's what you need to eat without exercise, anyway been kinda doing a bit of Scottish slimmers and they recommend 1250 (not far off MFP) but to me it seems a bit low and not much space to decrease (as the lbs come off) so not really sure what to do, might just go up to 1300!? Also been managing the fasting, i'm on my 2nd day. Just need to get used to keeping track of the cals, so far today I've counted in my head...which is annoying and means constantly thinking about it!!! xxxx

Lauren - how are you doing?? Hope your ok

xxxx

If you put down that you do a desk job and want to lose 2 lbs per week mfp will automatically drop you to 1200.

You could either change your weight loss goal to 1lb per week or use the TDEE - 20% method. Im on my phone so can't post a link T9 a TDEE calculator, but if you Google it loads come up.

littlemiss said:
Thanks Tracy - I agree about 1000 cals, It did help me then but its not sustainable as u said. I had a look on MFP and it said I should eat 1200 cals I thought that was a bit low, i'll need to check again, mind you I put in that I do 0 exercise and sit at a desk all day maybe that's what you need to eat without exercise, anyway been kinda doing a bit of Scottish slimmers and they recommend 1250 (not far off MFP) but to me it seems a bit low and not much space to decrease (as the lbs come off) so not really sure what to do, might just go up to 1300!? Also been managing the fasting, i'm on my 2nd day. Just need to get used to keeping track of the cals, so far today I've counted in my head...which is annoying and means constantly thinking about it!!! xxxx

Lauren - how are you doing?? Hope your ok

xxxx

I don't exercise at all, hon - can't due to health issues - and I would never eat as little as 1,200 personally. As Stackhead says, that seems to be MFP's default position, which is why I've never let it set my cals for me, lol. :) xx

Ladies just to add my two pennies worth I think setting TDEE 20% or even 15% is good as a slow steady weightloss is in longterm better and you are not depriving yourself. Wish I'd done that ages ago and I'm still working on my issues with food.

Rose who prefer eating in the evening and I'm one of those too! The 5:2 diet is great and that with calorie counting it bound to give great results. Yu can save all calories for the evening if it works for you.

exercise is great if one can do it and likes it but it doesn't really help to lose weight you need the calorie deficit. I have a personal trainer three times a week and I'm still struggling with this last stone and its because I'm not creating enough if a calorie deficit. So still working on that and I'm definitely going to look at calorie counting with 5:2.

Hi Lauren,

Well done on your weight loss. I hope I'm down as much as you are in the next 6 months! Are you on my fitness pal - I've tried adding you via the icon but it states your username is deactivated.

Hows everyone getting on?

I haven't been doing much weight loss wise, I've been struggling by without bingeing but that's it.

Kira - what does this mean.....

setting TDEE 20% or even 15%

Hows everyone getting on?

I haven't been doing much weight loss wise, I've been struggling by without bingeing but that's it.

Kira - what does this mean.....

setting TDEE 20% or even 15%

Your TDEE is total daily expenditure so it's based on the amount of calories you can eat without putting weight on based on your age/weight/height/activity level. Mine for example is around 1850 so to cut it by 20% I'd be eating 370 cals a day less than this.

I'm eating around 1000-1200 a day at the minute because I go on holiday 9th sept!! Scales are going down every second day x

Back