Calorie value of syns?

Maximus

Gold Member
Is there an approximate value?

I'm sure I read somewhere - possibly on here on SW site 1syn is approximately 20kcals - does that sound about right?

Reason I ask is a lot of restaurants & chains in Florida have their food values on their websites. It will help me make informed choices on holiday without undoing all my hard work;)

That's approximately right, Steve.
It won't work absolutely exactly, because sometimes SW makes some things higher syns to stop us over eating them, rather than because of their calorific value per se - but it works as a rule of thumb.

So if you're on holiday, and you get the chance to check the calorific value of what you're eating, and you are familiar enough with the SW way of thinking to know what foods are going to be free, etc.... then working on a rough calculation of 20 cals = 1 syn, then you're not going to be far off.

Hi max
I was on hols in florida for month of october and had no problem with the meals then will do whatever you ask in most restaurants plain grilled stuff with no fat added when i came home i had lost 8 lbs and that was even having some treats hth and enjoy ur holiday

carol xx

the 20 calories = 1 syn is accurate for any food without a free food allowance.

If an item has a free food, then you can't use that calculation, as protein, carbs and fat content are taken into account as well as calories.

Last edited:
Great stuff - just what I needed to know.

How on earth did you lose 8lb in Florida- well done!

At least I know it is possible not to have a large gain - unless of course I allow it:eek:

Steve

Back