Can anyone tell me....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kazz, 3 October 2006 Social URL.

1. kazz

kazz Gold Member

Diet:
    WW
    :confused: ...why on earth there is loads of cr*p advertised on this site that we know doesnt work to lose weight....?! Is it to help people give in?!!? :confused:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Flopster

Flopster Got a life thank you!

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    The ads at the top of the page are from Google - it is called Google Adsense and web owners (ie, people just like Mini and Pierce) put Adsense onto their site and when people click on the ads, the owners (ie, Mini) will get a few pence. The few pences all add up to contributing towards the running costs of a site like this - the web hosting for forums is quite expensive and this is one way of keeping membership free but having a contribution towards the running costs. Note this is running costs not salary - the site is manned 100% by volunteers.

Adsense (or Adwords) work by picking up relevant "keywords" in text. So if I were to talk in the post a lot about babies, possibly six month olds and under and about the different types of prams and cots available then the chances are that the key words at the top would pick up on the words babies, cots, prams, etc, and relevant ads would appear at the top.

Unless the MiniMins site owners were to put "exception" rules into this, then lots of diet related adwords would come up at the top in rotational order or sometimes just in random order.

I hope this clarifies rather than confuses?

Mini likes this.
  4. kazz

kazz Gold Member

Diet:
    WW
    It definately does thx!! I no longer think its a sabotage plan!!

5. Flopster

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    No problem, glad it clarified a bit. Nobody on here would sabatage your diet, only we can sabatage our own (says she who sat down to two meals yesterday!!)

6. Isobel1965

Isobel1965 Gold Member

Great explanation, Flopster!

7. Flopster

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Thanks Isobelle.

:)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.