Can anyone work out syns for home baked food?!

Hi all, I only joined the forum last night and im joining SW on Thursday but im thinking and planning ahead.

I enjoy home cooking and would like to get an idea of how many syns these muffins work out to but I have no idea how to go about it :confused:

The recipe is:
100g plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
1/4 teaspoon of salt
60g caster sugar
1 egg
35g butter
1 banana

Ive halved this recipe and it would make 3 banana muffins but how many syns would they be each? Also is there any other way of making them so the syns would be lower?!

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, that recipe adds up to about about 47 syns, so if you've only made half of it that's 23.5, so each muffin would be 8 syns.

You could make it healthier by using Splenda instead of sugar and low fat margarine instead of butter, but Im not a cake person so someone else might help better with the quantities. There are loads of SW-friendly cake recipes around though if you do a search.

Hello! As I see it, you need to check the syn values for the flour, the sugar, the butter, and also the banana (as you'll be cooking it, so it won't be 'free'). Do a minimins search in the box at the top of this page for syn values e.g. start by clicking on the minimins button, then enter something like 'syns for 100g flour'. Total your findings then divide by the number of portions. If you're halving the recipe to start with, don't forget to take that into account as well! When you join SW your consultant will be able to tell you more. :)

Here's the maths:

100g plain flour = 18
1/4 tsp baking powder = negligible
1/2 tsp bicarb = negligible
1/4 tsp of salt = 0
60g caster sugar = 12
1 egg = 0
35g butter = 12
1 banana = 5 (because cooked)

Total = 47
If you've only cooked half of this = 23.5
So divided into 3 muffins, each muffin = 8