Can I ask...?

Olsbols

Sliced and diced!!!
What is the most anyone has lost in 3 months on SW?

I have 3 months to shift some serious (and I mean serious) kgs before I go out to India this coming Dec, but I am really struggling with CD and some friends have suggested I give SW a whirl.

However, I am scared it won't give me the fast loss that CD will :(

Just wondering if there is anyone who has started off around the 180kgs mark and if they could give me an idea of the losses they had for the first 6 months of the diet.

Thanks...

Ollie x

I know Happe lost 15 lbs in her first week - not sure how she's done since then. Also, Keeliewheeliebin has been doing really well ;)

Weight loss on ANY diet basically comes down to maths. Once you know your basal metabolic rate, you can approximate how much weight you'll lose on how many cals (here's a link to a BMR calculator)
BMR Calculator

For example, my personal BMR is around 1500 cals (that's if I just lay in bed doing nothing). Obviously, every movement I make uses calories so let's say I use around 2000 cals per day. As 1lb of fat = 3500 cals, in order to lose 1lb of fat per week, I'd need to reduce my calorie intake by 500 cals per day. So that would require a diet of 1500 cals per day. You can see from this how hard it is to lose 2 or 3lb per week.

Most conventional diets operate on a calorie intake of 1200 - 1500 per day so the average weight loss achieved is 4 to 8lb per month. Some people do better than this (usually if they do exercise to make a bigger calorie deficit) but if we're talking averages, I wouldn't bank on much more than 7 to 10lb per month depending on how active you are. Heavier people also tend to lose more quickly because they use more energy carrying the extra weight around but this tails off to a smaller average as they become lighter.

In short, there's nothing that can really rival a VLCD for fast weight loss.
PS
I'm not trashing any of the conventional methods: many, many people do really well on them - but we're just talking speed here

Cool...

Thanks DQ... hey, if you 'speak' to them at all on your journeys, could you please let them know that I'm asking?

Thanks... :)

O x

PS I will PM them as well... :)

Yep...

Weight loss on ANY diet basically comes down to maths.

In short, there's nothing that can really rival a VLCD for fast weight loss.

I'm very aware of this, which is why I am reluctant to switch... I would rather struggle with CD :rolleyes:

But I am just very curious about anyone who has been around my weight/size and has done SW with a really good success rate for the first 6 months... :)

I will probably stay on CD... but I'm a nosey mare, so forgive me for my nosey-parker post :eek:

x

It's not a nosey parker post at all ols... losing weight can be a minefield of myth and misinformation. You're being very wise to check out all the options. :)

Wow just had real fun doing that, i think i am lightly active (gym 1-3 times per week)and therefore need 2070 cals a day (soundsa an aweful lot)

1505.75 x 1.375 = 2070 ish

it's no wonder vlcd work !!!!

Any more fab info

Hi LA
2070 cals sounds realistic to me ... think about how easy it is to eat more than that though - no wonder it's so easy to gain weight!

It's all a balancing act - something we ALL know - but sheesh it's a difficult thing to do!

I second that, when i am eating again i'm going to calorie count one day as an experiment.

I know i need to get out more !!

If you are planning and counting the calories beforehand, 2,000 seems heaps.

If you don't plan and have a bit to eat, then add it up, it comes to approx 35,000 :eek:

I know....I've done the maths :D

:D :D :D :D
I've got that T-shirt too Karion!! LOL

I have done slimming world twice - the first time I put 8lbs on in a week, the second I put 4lbs on!

I know I am no good with pasta and rice (green days) - as much as I adore them, I cannot eat that sort of thing every day without putting on weight.

Red days just aren't practical with work - I don't mind an odd one but any more than that I struggle with.

In fairness I don't know of anyone else who put on weight on SW.

BTW fab post Debbie, very intersting.

Hi Ollie, its Gingernut here. I have good losses with SW when i stick to the plan. I was comparing losses myself the other day. Whenever i try to lose weight i keep a diary of my losses, over an 8 week period on SW I lost 32 lbs and on an 8 week period of CD i lost 34lbs so really not a great deal in it, which is why this time id decided to go with the food option. However im struggling this week to control my intake and am seriously considering surgery. Sw is well worth a try and is something that you could carry on with after you are a sensible weight, the gains will not be as dramatic if you do fall off the wagon. It really boils down to whether you are in control or not, If you can stay away from your trigger foods and fill up on free food then sw will work, if you dont feel strong enough then taking food out of the equation is sometimes the easier option. Im trying a ss day today to see if maybe i could get back under control. So far so good but the evenings are the worst so ill see. You know we are all behnd you, you deserve this Ollie give whichever plan you choose your best shot, they will work.:)

Well most people lose about 7lbs in their first week (if they've not been on VLCD's immediately prior to starting). Then the average weight loss is about 7lbs per month. So in 3 months you could lose around the 2 stone mark.

Hi hun, ive done SW before and when ive stuck to it (which seems to be the common theme here lol) my losses were good generally between 2-4lbs a week.

The good thing is with this if you are hungry you can eat the free foods, you can fill up on lots of fruit and veg with your meals aswell and it also looks out for your fibre and calcium intake and encourages eating fresh foods rather than processed.

What you have to think is, yeah i might lose more if i stuck to SS for 3 months but would you be more likely to stick to SS or SW, cos if you couldnt stick to SS but you could stick to SW then in theory you'll lose more with SW, if you get what i mean?! :cool: :confused: :)

I agree...

Hiya baba... :)

I agree that taking food out of the equation is better, but it's just so hard to get over that initial period where all you can think about it food, and the last thing you want is another glass of poxy iced water!!! :rolleyes: :eek:

I would have to go on the Green Plan for SW... I adore rice and pasta, but again it's the whole 'would I be able to have just that recommended serving' dilemma :(

Answer is, probably not...

x

What you have to think is, yeah i might lose more if i stuck to SS for 3 months but would you be more likely to stick to SS or SW, cos if you couldnt stick to SS but you could stick to SW then in theory you'll lose more with SW, if you get what i mean?! :cool: :confused: :)

Hehehe, I get what you mean, Snailypoos :D

I love the idea of being able to eat strawberries and grapes to my hearts desire, but there will come a time when I will get sick of it all and there the slippery slope starteths :cool:

What is the Green Plan like? What is a general day?

x

Taking food entirely out of the equation has given me the space to work through what my tough times/situations are and put some alternative coping strategies in place so then when I do sart eating again I will hopefully have a new pattern of behaviour to follow rather than turning straight to food. It will be tough but easier for having done this.

This then allows me to concentrate more on my trigger foods when I do start eating again. Separating out the 2 forms of addiction (habit and physical craving) has definately increased my chances of sucess no end so god bless the VLCD :D

I would have to go on the Green Plan for SW... I adore rice and pasta, but again it's the whole 'would I be able to have just that recommended serving' dilemma :(

Answer is, probably not...

x

Hi matey, on a green day the 'recommended serving' is as much as you need to feel full and satisfied, there is no limit. according to SW you can have as big or as little a portion as you'd like as long as you stick to the plan. snail. x

When i did sw i lost on red and green days and on green days would have noodles for lunch and pasta for dinner (quite big portions).

Back