can these baby names be shortened?

Cant understand the caterpillar though?!? It is a southern thing??

I was quite lucky as we named our DD after her grandmothers Sarah and Stella Claire became Sarah Claire. As a teacher finding a name that didnt remind me of a student was a bit difficult!

My father would never let our names be shortened when we were children. He always hated it when people shortened his name, but he had the ideal solution - he just didn't answer to the shortened version!

When he met my mother he was horrified that her whole family called her by a really ugly shortened version of her name which she really hated. He persuaded her not to answer to it, and within a very short time everyone was calling her by her proper name.

My name is Avis, which is not exactly long! Occasionally people have tried to shorten it to "Ave", which is horrible, but I never answered to it and people just got bored. Actually, I quite often get called Mavis or Avril, by mistake - and I will answer to those!!

People will always shorten, lengthen, and generally muck around with names - but only if you let them!

LOL I can remember when i was younger questioning why my dad,whose name is John was called Jack by his workmates and being told that Jack is short for John WTF ??? they have the same number of letters !!!!!!

my grandad was a john who was always called jack by EVERYONE, i didn't even know until he passed away and his gravestone said john! :eek:

i know a girl called Erin who gets called Ez, Ezza and Rinny - i dont think you can avoid any name being shortened/adapted so just go for one you and your partner like :) xx

my daugthers name is nicole and i hate nick (sorry to anyone called it i just don't like nicole shortened). everyone knew i don't like nick so noone calls it her and at school she likes to be called nicole so she corrects them saying that I do lenghten her name to nicolelee and some of her mates do it but her middle name is leanne so it kind of goes but now shes coco cause thats what my toddler calls her and we call it her with out thinking.
my son is called zac we choose it because we knew zachery would be shorten to zac and how but I do lenghten that to to zacee my husband hates that but its a affection thing

My name gets lengthened to Clairey, Claire Bear, Claireybella etc etc.

My hubby is called Paul so we call him Pauly or Paulus (his Roman name! There is an extra bit but it's a very rude swear word!! :D)

My eldest is called Aaron, we call him Aarony, Aarony Pepperoni, and my Uncle calls him Arry. His friends at school are calling him Double A, at the moment.

My youngest is called Jason, so that's shortened to Jay, JJ, J-Bird or Jay Jay the Jet Plane! The uncle who calls Aaron, Arry, calls Jason Minority, on account of his red hair! :D

One of my uncles is called Laurence but he's alwaes been called Nonnie, and my friends son is called Zac, who we call Zac Attack!

Names are hard, but find one that YOU and your OH like, and what suits the baby :D

I hate names that are shortened, so please tell me what u think of these names & if/what the could be shortened to

Lydia
Erin

Ewan
Lawrence

Hiya,

I know a Lydia who gets called Lyds, my duaghter calls her daughter Erin "Ez" and a friend of the family is Lawrence and gets called "Loz or Lol"

My daughter is Amelie and my step-mum calls her "Am" which I HATE!!!!

I would say pick a name you like. You can always call your child by the full name - others WILL shorten or lengthen it, or create nicknames but you can call them what you want to.

All I will say is as the child gets older, the more you tell their friends not to call them x, y or z, the more the friends and the child will do it!!! Unless the child really does not like the name being shortened.

I swore blind I would not shorten my daughter's name or allow anyone to do so, I now do and so do all her friends!!!

PS - I love the name Erin.

My mum did the same thing with us 2-she hates names that can be shortened. my sis is called Dervla, but she gets Dee or LaLa. I'm Aine, but I get An or Annie (WTF?!) all the time.

I say just pick the names you and your OH like, as long as you 2 don't shorten them it's fine. You can't really control what other people are going to call him/her anyways.

NAmes will only be shortened or amended if they want them to be. I am Lynda, everyone, at some point has tried to call me Lyn, I politely just say, Lynda. They rarely do it again. My eldest is Hannah. SOme ahve tried to call her Han and she hates it. I said to politely correct them. She said I can't do that to an adult. I said you can, if they get your name wrong just politely correct them. She does this now. My ickle pickle is Rebecca. Sometimes Becca. She hates Becky, and will never hesitate to correct anyone that tries it. Your child will end up being called what he/she is happy with, not necessarily what youa re though. Erin and Zach seem fairly safe from obvious shortening though

Thanks everyone x

I know wot sex I'm having anyhow so think we've chosen wisely lol

The only Lawrence I know gets called Loz or Lozzy

My dad is called Lee and my auntie Lyn - for the whole shortened name thing!!!

My full name is Eloise, (pronouned Ell - oh- eese) and i just call myself Elle - although the occasional Ellie creeps in and my dad calls me E (like the drug!!!) hehe

I love easy names too - wont say my faves though! xxx

cant shorten my name its kaye, but so many lengthen it :D I cant win.

A lawrence I know also gets called lol.

In Holland the parents generally give their kids lots of middle names and when they get older the kids chose one of these names (or variations of) to be called by.

Don't forget if the first name can't be shortened other kids might use variations of your surname.

We called our youngest Eva hoping it wouldn't get shortened but many other kids call her Evie (pronounced eevy) :confused:.

In hindsight I would choose a name which has an obvious shortened version I like.

I gave my son a long (very unusual) name - I think he might be the only one!!!), but with a shortening that I like. So, he is Ben now and probably always will be, but he has a longer name if he ever wants to use it!

Ben can't be shortened anymore and I like it. However, some relatives call him Benno (which I HATE) and Benjy (which is annoying as his name isn't benjamin!)

I don't think you can ever get it right and I reckon your children choose their own shortenings or lengthenings when they are older.

I like the names Erin and Zac.

I know a Zac that gets Zee. My cousin Olivie iv Livvie, or Ollie by my gran. A friend of mine has a daughter named Lydia and she gets Lyds too.

I think every name can be shortened to be honest, I shorten mine, im Lyndsay and hate being called Lyn. Everyone calls me Lynz, i only ever got my whole name if i was being told off!

Back