Can you melt sweetner???

becciharland

I was just wondering if you could.....Thinking that i could add some red food colouring and make "toffee apples" Would the sweetner harden?? i wonder has anyone tried this before?

x

I would assume not - sweetner is synthetic and not sugar, so will not caramelise like sugar.

Checked on-line and found this:

Sugar goes through a heating process until it caramelizes to make caramel candy. Although you cannot make real caramel without sugar, you can substitute your typical sucrose table sugar for sweeteners that have lower glycemic levels and fewer calories. The glycemic index of a sugar determines how quickly it affects your blood sugar levels. Low glycemic foods reduce stress on your digestive system. Agave or maltitol sweetener can serve as a substitute for sugar in a caramel recipe. Agave comes from a cactus plant, while maltitol is a sugar alcohol made from starch. Both have the ability to caramelize when heated, and have lower glycemic levels and calories.

Don't know if any of these will be much lower in syns than regular sugar.

Actually, just checked again and found this: :D

Sugar Free Toffee Apples

This is a straight forward recipe for sugar free toffee apples. It can be great fun for children to make with adults but do remember the hot liquid will burn terribly if spilled on the skin.Ingredients:

• Six tbs granulated sweetener (remember to check the manufacturer’s instructions)
  • Three tbs water
  • One tbsp white vinegar
  • Four apples
  • Four toffee apple sticks

Place your granulated sweetener, water and vinegar in a medium saucepan and stir over a low heat until dissolved. Bring to the bring and leave to bubble. Every so often take a small amount on the end of a tsp and drop into a glass of cold water. When the toffee sets hard it is ready to use. Wash your apples and remove the stalks. Going from top to bottom, press a stick through the centre of each apple, to create a giant lollipop. With the stick in your hand, dip each apple into the toffee, making sure the whole fruit is completely covered. Stand the toffee apples on a lightly greased baking sheet (apples down) and leave to cool on the side. When cool, place in the fridge over night. The toffee apples are now ready to eat or to wrap in cling film, tie with a ribbon and store or present as a gift.

Last edited:
Lonestitcher.....You are a star!!!!!! Yipee guess what im making when im home tonight :) :) :)
Ohhhh i cant wait now :)

Thank you, one will go into the post for you !!!! xxx

I use 'xylitol' sweetener and I think it might caramelise - I fried some apples in it the other day and it looked like it had started to 'go.'

Not tried it yet, but will probably try the toffee by itself this week. (Not that keen on toffee apples, but do love toffee!)

Ive been eating toffee apples for days now lol Really yummy just trying to get the the "crack" temp lol Making aload for class this week, stuck in a carved pumpkin :)

What have you been using for 'white vinegar'? I'm assuming it means white wine vinegar... (but you know the saying, when you assume you make an a$$ of u and me!!)

Thanks for being the guinnea pig Becci !!!

Well the 1st batch i used brown/malt vinegar ......it was ok but the smell of it in the house wasn't nice...... So i brought some distilled vinegar and used that.....didn't make much difference so i would say use any lol

Once i've don't the display for saturday WI i'll take a pic :)

What have you been using for 'white vinegar'? I'm assuming it means white wine vinegar... (but you know the saying, when you assume you make an a$$ of u and me!!)

Thanks for being the guinnea pig Becci !!!

I have a bottle of distilled white vinegar in my cupboard, from Tescos. I'm going to use that, as I don't have any white wine vinegar at the moment. (Unless you count the really cheap bottle of white wine languishing in my fridge - euuugh!)

Use onions instead of apples - make a good trick or treat present lol

:( This makes me :cry:

I love hallowe'en and it makes me a little upset when people don't get into the spirit of it!

Yey Debridger I forgive you (for pulling my leg) and love you again! :D

LOL.

Back