Can't stop picking!!

KatieMc

As the title says, I can't stop picking.

This is my 6th day now on SS, (bar day 4 I came off it as I had a horrible sickness bug) and every single day i've picked at something as well as my shakes!

Now don't get me wrong, my total 'picks' probably don't total up very much in calories. I'm talking the crust off a quarter piece of toast one day, a single crisp another, todays was a small (20p coin size) piece of casserole beef from a stew i'd made for Lexie (my daughter - she's 10 months old and I make her meals up in advance like casserole or cottage pie etc and freeze them).

In one sense because it's so little i'm thinking 'well the diet should work anyway it's hardly anything' but deep down I know i'm kidding myself and these 'picks' are probably preventing me from going into Ketosis?

How can I stop? I've tried sitting there and doing the whole 'think thin' thing but the food somehow goes from Lexie's highchair tray to my mouth then I think 'oops' later!

Was anyone else like this?

xx

You might not like this.

Are you eating your daughters leftovers? If so you are not the bin. What would you do with them if you weren't eating them? You'd bin them? Spray the leftovers with anti bac spray/washing up liquid.

The picks at the above level may not prevent ketosis per se, but they will make it harder for you in the long run to lose effectively and maintain via the steps.

Trust me. I was a serial picker. All those wee picks, say 150 calories a day wont stop you losing all in, but will slow down the rate ast which you lose, meaning you're on SS for longer.

If nothing else think of it as getting off SS earlier. Getting onto SS+ and maintenance sooner if "think thin" is too hard. I personally cant "think thin" because its been so long I've forgotten.

I also find picking leads to cravings which are harder for me to deal with.

You are worth more than a crisp, or a toast crust so why not get into it properly and stop letting the wee picks sabotage you? Even when you maintain those wee calories add up.

You only need to pick at an extra 67 calories a day to put on half a stone in a year.

E.G - 3500 cals = 1lb of FAT
7LBS = 24500 calories
24500/365 days = 67.12

HTH (I've tried as best I can to be firm but nice at the same time, so apologies if I've come across funny)

Last edited:
Thanks for that Lexie, I too am a serial picker and it has made my progress very slow. Sometimes I just need a big dose of a reality check from someone to make me see what I am doing to myself.

Love ya xx

Hey...
Sorry if I am sounding harsh here, but if you feel the need to eat something why dont you just go on ss+ and then you can have a light meal at night rather than putting yourself through ss which are not sticking too. please dont take it the wrong way but just thinking if you need to eat something that might be the best route to take..
x

Hey Katie - the first week is always the hardest and Lexie is totally right. Im now 9wks into it and have had 'picking' times i.e. when my family has had a chinese I have had egg foo yung so i justify it to myself that its high protein so its ok - but its not cos now Im going to have to ss for 2 wks longer than i really wanted to as Im half a stone behind where I wanted to be now.

Curly wurly is right aswell in that SS+ may be the way to go for you some people find that alot better and still get nearly the same weight losses.

The god send I found yesterday was the hour by hour thread and it really kept me on track and I resisted the egg foo yung yesterday! Come on the the hour by hour thread and it may help maybe when your daughter is having a nap.

Trust me its easier to do this when the kids are little and unaware of what you are eating than when they are older and very aware
x

P.s I'm not sitting here going "I never pick, I'm so perfect". There was one time I had to go buy more sandwich ham for husbands lunches, as I'd been picking at a slice here and there whilst pottering about, Kidding myself on it didn't count because I was giving "halfers" to the dog.

There was the time I "tidied" away husbands leftover chicken.

And all it did was make me feel miserable, eventually lead to bigger and bigger picks, then a cheat and then a derailment.

I speak from bitter experience.

HTH (I've tried as best I can to be firm but nice at the same time, so apologies if I've come across funny)

Oh no you haven't come across as funny i've found your info really useful. Had no idea that just 67 cals a day puts on half a stone! Spraying with anti-bac is a good idea I will try that. Currently looking for a 'fat photo' as well to put up in the kitchen where said 'picking' takes place (only problem with that one is I've destroyed all photos taken of me in the past year!)

Thanks x

Curly - Doesn't sound harsh I appreciate it when people are straight with me. Unfortunately I don't think the SS+ would solve my problem though as it's not that i'm actually hungry and need a meal. It's more a nasty habit, just like if I had a spot I can never leave it, I must squeeze it! I guess I just need to change my habits, and quickly x

Jessica - thanks for the advice. I'll pop on the hour-by-hour today and try and keep my spirits up that way x

My Virtual Model Community - Be the next top model and show your friends your fashion sense

Go here and make 2 models, one at your current weight and one at goal. That way its like a fat pic but not you if you don't have any, plus it lets you see what you'll look like.

You can even add them as attachments in your sig, thus reinforcing the idea every time.

I like making my fat one really dowdy and my thin one really glam because I have far too much spare time.

My Virtual Model Community - Be the next top model and show your friends your fashion sense

Go here and make 2 models, one at your current weight and one at goal. That way its like a fat pic but not you if you don't have any, plus it lets you see what you'll look like.

You can even add them as attachments in your sig, thus reinforcing the idea every time.

I like making my fat one really dowdy and my thin one really glam because I have far too much spare time.

Love it have done one! x

I have this same nasty habit Katie. Last week I found myself a few times nibbling on bits of food my daugters had left, or diving into the biscuit tin without even realising I was doing it. I had an adequate loss, I am pleased with 5.5lbs considering how much I 'picked' but deep down I wish I had an amazing first week loss like so many others here.

I don't really have any advice for you, I know it is so difficult- old habits die hard. But as Lexie said, you are worth alot more than a nibble on a crisp or a crust from the toast.

I sometimes feel a bit of an idiot doing it, but the last few days I've tried a positive mantra in front of the mirror. I wake up and the first thing I do is look at myself naked in the full length mirror, and tell myself I do not want to be this way any longer. "I am strong, I can do this, I will change my life, I will be slim and sexy! Food will not control my day" And so far it has worked.

I also split my two shakes in half so I have plenty for various meal times and then can make myself something nice to have while the kids are eating. I find that if I'm drinking an ice cold shake, I'm not picking at their plates.

I hope so much this helps- we all deserve to be slim, beautiful and happy :p

Back