Carbs??

annieanne

Hi everyone,
Just started atkins and i'm a little confused already. On nutritional information, do i use the carbohydrate figure or the Carbohydrate of which sugars figure.
Also why can't i have citric acid?
thanks

Hi Annie,

You need 'net' carbs, which on UK labels is the main Carb figure (ignore the 'of which' numbers).

That being said, if you ever come across a label where one of the 'of which's is fibre, you need to deduct the fibre total from the carb total as fibre isn't included in net carbs... generally speaking this is usually seperated on UK labels, so stick to reading the carb total and you'll be fine.

Citric acid has been shown to affect ketosis and stall/stop weightloss. I am not sure of the science behind it, but know it to be true (for me at least). The biggest places citric acid hides is in chewing gum, some breath fresheners, soft drinks and sugar free products.

Hope that helps! :)

SD xx

As Doris says, citric acid is well-known for knocking people out of ketosis and also for slowing down or preventing them going INTO it. During Induction the emphasis is on making sure you go into ketosis as quickly as possible, because once you are there the hunger and cravings go.

Back