Career advice - what would you do?

Devon Dolce

1lb at a time!
OK, have just got back from the interview, now here's the thing...

The role I went for would be a backward step for me, career wise, I went for it as the organisation intrigues me and, obviously the money would help! Now, I have absolutely no idea if I'm even going to get the role, my gut feeling is I came across as too ambitious career-wise, but what would you do if offered it?

For background, I'm applying for other roles, more in line with my most recent level but I haven't heard yet whether I've even been shortlisted.

I'm also not one of these to flit between jobs so the thought of taking this role but knowing I'm not going to stick at it for long isn't my style.

Not sure anyone can offer any advice, I'm just really not sure how I'll react if offered it - as I said, I don't think I will be but trying to work it through nevertheless.

Should say that one of the posts I'm applying for I really want but haven't even heard if have got interview for them yet!

xxxx

That is a pretty tough call.

What would you do if you were offered this job that you do now sound to keen on, and a week later heard you had got the job you really want ??

Would it be worth contacting the company you would like to work with and find out if you are going to be interviewed. I don't know if that would be ethical. I haven't been in the job market for years.

Sorry not have been more help to you. I think it is a decision not to made lightly.

I guess for me it would depend on my financial position. If I had the money to just be able to take a chance on being shortlisted for the job I really wanted, then I'd probably do that. Life's too short to be doing a job you don't really want to do for less pay! Sorry to ask hun, but are you currently in a job or not? If not, I think I'd be tempted to take it if you're offered it, as like you said, the money would be handy.

Sorry, I probably haven't been much help! xx

For me, I think it would depend primarily on my financial position and the stability of the job (as stable as they can be in these times).

PS Assignment Dudette :whoopass:

Thank you both for you replies.

Dudette, I'm not currently working, the maternity cover role I had finished at Xmas and I've been doing a bit of freelance in between that too, but it just doesn't really bring in the money we need or help us save towards our wedding etc. I've signed up with temp agencies and will push them again for some work, but looking for a job really is a full time job! OH has been amazing, and luckily is paid well to support us and pay the bills.

I totally agree that life is too short to do a job you don't like xxx

For me, I think it would depend primarily on my financial position and the stability of the job (as stable as they can be in these times).

PS Assignment Dudette :whoopass:

Thanks hun for your reply. OH is currently able to support us but we're not able to save for our wedding, pay off some good holidays, save to move etc. The role I've just been to interview for is 2 year fixed term xx

I'd phone up the company that you don't know if you've got an interview for & just ask them if they've done the short-listing yet.

I've done this before & shows that you are keen & really interested in the job. Then you'll know if you've a chance or not.

I'd phone up the company that you don't know if you've got an interview for & just ask them if they've done the short-listing yet.

I've done this before & shows that you are keen & really interested in the job. Then you'll know if you've a chance or not.

Thank you hun, I'm going to do this tomorrow at least then I'll know. I'm also going to contact the place I went for interview today and remove myself as a possible candidate - I've thought long and hard about it today and I know that if (and it's a big if) I got it, I wouldn't settle and would be constantly looking for a new role.

I must sound like a real princess, but having seen my beautiful, intelligent, gorgeous mum have a breakdown through work and losing all her confidence in a role for various reasons, I'm just not prepared to 'settle' for any old job nor do I want to mess anyone around xx

Back