Carvery

mrs big b

Gold Member
Being treated to lunch at the carvery tommorow by the inlaws . Is there anything I really should avoid and does anyone know roughly the syns . I wont have Yorkshire pudding or gravy to be safe

Id just ask the waitress whats in the food, and how they cook things. Sometimes they add butter to the veg at carverys. Obviously roast pots are a bit of a no no :( But lots of carverys do boiled potatoes! x

I used to eat out alot (I'm a very pants cook!), now I have really cut down on the eating out, but I do have the occasional carvery as i think it's probably one of the best choices to eat out.
I normally go without gravy and pick the leanest meat. Probably best to steer clear of lamb (unless you want to spend 10minutes trying to pick the fat of your plate) and try to go for chicken or turkey. I will have beef if it looks lean and I do have a yorksire pudding!! I think the book lists the average is 3 each and they only normally let you have 1 anyway.

I heap up my plate with plenty of veg, as it's a carvery you can normally have as much as you like and if I've filled up with free veg I don't feel I need a desert. I do also stay away from the roast spuds as you just don't know how much fat has been used to cook them.

Enjoy your night out and don't stress too much, your're doing great!! x

PS the optimising book lists gravy made with meat juice as 3 syns per 4 tablespoons... so it's not out of the question - if you fancy gravy - have it!

Last edited:
If it's a Crown Carvery then go on their website to find the calaries of all their foods

Thanks all looking forward to it :)

bilsat said:
If it's a Crown Carvery then go on their website to find the calaries of all their foods

I did just that :) think I'm safe with turkey new pots and veg cauliflower cheese looked low cal so maybe a small bit of that :) maybe have a bit of gammon if it looks lean I love gammon

So you have some idea of what cauliflower cheese is, it's 3 syns per 100g (to get an idea of what 100g is, the supermarket cauliflower cheese packs are usually 400g).

Enjoy :)

paperclip said:
So you have some idea of what cauliflower cheese is, it's 3 syns per 100g (to get an idea of what 100g is, the supermarket cauliflower cheese packs are usually 400g).

Enjoy :)

They didn't have any anyway . Or new potatoes :( ended up eating turkey & gammon ( fat removed) sprouts carrots sweetcorn and a pile of swede .

Back