cereal

hennyhamster

Silver Member
My consultant says i can't have porridge as a healthy extra without the scan bran but i don't like scan bran she says without the scan bran it isn't a healthy extra and i have to count it as syns instead. Does anyone else only have half a b choice?

I have to say I think that's total rubbish. I've had excellent weight losses (7lbs in my first week) and always had porridge for breakfast and never touched a scan bran!!! I understand that the scan bran adds fibre but at the end of the day porridge is also a good source of fibre and is really good for you.

I never ever have the scan bran - just the porridge! I've lost 3 stone!! What difference does the scan make? There is a lot of fibre in porridge and the scan only adds half a syn so it's not that much difference.

Just tell her you are having it - keep her off your back!!

I agree with you all, i think as long as i have plenty of fibre in the day it shouldn't make a difference. I've really missed my porridge, might have some now....

My consultant says that also and I can see where she is coming from but I also have to say that I have lost weight over the years and haven't added the scan bran to my porridge.

Porridge is high in fibre but to 'qualify' as a HE B it has to contain a certain amount and by adding the scan bran, thats what makes it a 'true' Healthy extra.
Healthy extras are there to make sure we get the recommended daily amount of certain nutrition.....its up to you whether you follow SW or make up your own rules!!!!

thanks for that, i have been suffering with the scan bran for 4 weeks now !!! dont even like the scan bran chocolate cake, yuck to scan bran.

Ooh, we had the scan bran chocolate cake last night at group and I loved it!! Daren't make it though, i'll eat the whole thing and then I won't be off the loo!!!

I bought the new Food Directory book & when I looked at cereals it said porridge does count as a HE!!....?!

i think you have to check the food optimising book cos many cereals in the food directory that say b choice need to have a scan brean or ryvita added,naughty really...

I've just checked in the book - would you believe, out of the 24 cereals listed as HEX's, only 7 of them are not accompanied by a ryvita/scan bran!!

How many people actually have these?????

Can I just ask, if the books say cereal + 1 ryvita/scan bran = 1 HE are you meant to put it in the cereal??!

I have porridge and don't add scan bran (tbh i don't even know what it is! lol) i'm sure it doesn't matter unless you are finding you are lacking in fibre somewhere along the line.

Isn't a sachet of oatso simple original counted as a HEB? Go ahead and have your porridge! It's good for lowering cholesterol!

can i just ask what all the HEb cereals are please?

Sticking to bran flakes at the mo but getting bored of them!

Thanks x

I never have a scan bran or ryvita with mine. I have high-fibre cereal anyway (usually bran flakes) so instead of the 28g I usually have about 35g-40g instead. Have to admit to not usually weighing it, which is dangerous territory...but I don't often have cereal - usually fruit. Anyway, waffling. It's all about getting the fibre in. If you're still losing, I wouldn't worry too much, but if things start sticking, it could be something to look at :D

I never have a scan bran or ryvita with mine. I have high-fibre cereal anyway (usually bran flakes) so instead of the 28g I usually have about 35g-40g instead. Have to admit to not usually weighing it, which is dangerous territory...but I don't often have cereal - usually fruit. Anyway, waffling. It's all about getting the fibre in. If you're still losing, I wouldn't worry too much, but if things start sticking, it could be something to look at :D
Well I have to say that I made a complete and utter **** up with my cereal this week..... I only started on Monday and have messed up already... I thought that Bran Flakes were 42g HEB, but it seem that they are 28g. ! ! ! :confused:
If I dont have a Ryvita or scan bran with it can I have a bit more or not.? 28g of cereal wouldn't fill a hole in my tooth lol, and I like to have them for breakfast cos they are tasty and helps with the whole fibre thing.....

Well I have ammended my food diaries accordingly.... now only having 28g sob sob.
If anyone would be so kind as to have a look at my diaries and see if they can see any problems.? I would appreciate it.

I find that I can eat All Bran with just hot water on it (no sugar) and it is really quite nice, its nutty and sweet and it saves a HEXA by not using milk.

Back