'Chasing Butterflies' - Team 7

Hey Nicki-M --

We went ice skating on New Years' day and I thought about doing the same thing (taking lessons). However, the next set of adult lessons were starting on the 3rd and my company was still here from the States.
But, I was thinking I might sign DD up for lessons, esp. if I can skate on the rink whilst she does her class.
I, too, am going to start walking my dog, and was given a DS lite My Fitness Coach Walking for Christmas. I am supposed to put it in my pocket when I get up in morning, and it will track my steps and adjust my goals for me. I have a friend using one -- and she loves it.
And, like you... I am planning to start my big Spring Clean asap.
So, it sounds like we all have motivation for the New Year, let's keep it that way!

MM

Hi Chloe, where abouts in London do you live? There must be a few rinks you can choose from.
MM, your ds coach thing sounds like a good idea...shame about the Ice skating lessons..just make sure you book yourself on the next available course.
I have just got myself all excited as I have just checked my emails and found out that my Just Dance game for the WII which was ordered and out of stock before Christmas has actually been despatched and is on its way...can't wait to get down and groovy with that baby!!!
And then saw another email to say that the WII fit plus game has also been despatched......I am so excited and can't wait to get started.....here's to a fit and healthy 2010. Just hope this fitness thing lasts and it is not a 5 minute wonder....just determined to be more active and slim by my 40th birthday in July.
Speak soon,

Hi Butterflies,

Managed to make it through day one of SSing. Nothing but three CDs (2 soups, 1 shake), coffee, decaf hot tea, flavoured water, and water. It was easier than I expected... but that is only one day down. So far so good this morning... only flavoured water and coffee. I am going to wait until I feel really hungry to have my first CD product, because once I do... I seem to be hungry (it wakes my tummy up I guess).
I hope everyone is coping with the weather -- I will have to venture out today to do some errands -- not looking forward to it.

Hey Nicki-M,

There is supposed to be a WiiFit steps challenge starting in this New Year. I'll post it on this thread when it starts and you can sign on if you want to do so.
I changed my signature picture to one with all of us (my DD, neice, and my DD's friend) on skates on New Years' Day.

MM

Last edited:
Hello girls!

Glad you are all back, was starting to feel a little lonely last week!

Still haven't managed to start CD again yet - oops - must do it tomorrow. Happy that a fortnight of eating has still resulted in a 2lb loss though - proves that life after CD should be manageable (famous last words!)

Well I am back at work now and snowed in - argh! Really hoping that Hampshire clears a bit so I can get home at the w/e - otherwise I am going to be a very grumpy girl. It's bad enough having to sleep here 4-5 nights a week and obviously the weather resulted in no hot water or heating this morning. Not happy! Fingers crossed that some of our 22cms of snow has gone by the morning and that everyone else makes it in to work - was a ghost town here today which was very depressing.

Anyway, am knackered and so going to crawl in to bed now.

'Speak' to you all tomorrow.

Hi Shanny24--

I'm on Day 3 of ssing -- and although I know I shouldn't I popped om the scales and am down 4.6 pounds already! I know it is mostly water -- but whoooha.
I may actually make my Valentine's day challenge goal weight.

MM

Well done MM on your loss so far...I have had a good result too and my scales are saying 11lb since the 2nd Jan, I think due to the fact I had put on 10 lb over xmas it was quick to come off again...struggling to drink the water today...heating is ramped to the max but still so cold and not wanting to drink too much today.
I love the photo by the way...my first ice lesson was cancelled today due to the instructor unable to get there. I was secretly glad as I didn't want to go out in the snow. I ventured out yesterday and I live at the bottom of a steep hill (which is a main road) and as I turned onto the hill my car just slid the whole way down...traffic was travelling at less than 2 mph...I pooped my pants...I just took it out of gear and hovered my foot over the brake until I reached my turning...then it took me 10 minutes to travel down my road as it is still thick snow...I could even feel the bottom of the car scraping the snow mounted in the middle of the road.
I am dreading travelling to work tomorrow night as I am working in a really rural place and I know there is a lot of country lanes between here and there....I am trying to convince my Hubby to take me and collect me...we'll see!!
Anyway I hope everyone is getting on ok and hope you have all managed to get back on track.
Has anyone heard from Butterfly.....a bit worried incase she has left us?
Where are you Butterfly??????????
Speak soon,

Hi Nicki-M --
"...my first ice lesson was cancelled today due to the instructor unable to get there. I was secretly glad as I didn't want to go out in the snow. LOL Didn't want to "skate" all the way to an ice skating lesson. ;) "

I hope your hubby does not have a lot of life insurance on you, and figures he is better off driving you to and from work.

MM

Last edited:
Hi Butterflies --

What is up with us? Are we still doing the team thing? Some of us are posting on other threads but not this one. Let's not turn into one of the teams that just falls apart -- we were winning the weekly losses. Okay, we were the only ones posting... but it looks like the New Years' Resolutions are heating things up. Lots of teams are picking up, again.

MM

Mel, Girls

I've not gone anywhere! Then again, haven't managed to get back on to SS since Christmas - it's just too damn cold down here in Hampshire!

Very early start this morning, so off to bed now. Hope to hear from you all soon.

Pol

Hi Wadpol,

I was wondering about you. Good to hear from you. You don't need to SS... lots of folks are doing SSplus and other plans -- because of lack of packs, not being able to get to CD, finding it too difficult, etc.

I looking into booking a week at Garmisch this summer -- and was thinking about Germany and then realised that you hadn't posted in a bit.

I hope you had a great holiday.

MM

Mel

Have posted several times over the last couple of weeks, but seem to have been talking to myself!

Running out of the door now, but will try to get online later depending on whether I manage to get up to London to the theatre tonight.... The snow is coming back.....

Pol

WP,

Have a great day!

MM

Hi all,
I just want to say a big big sorry to everyone for being away. I really am sorry for letting you all down. Never intended to be away so long. Just started with being ridiculously busy over the festive period, and only managed to get on minis once or twice since.
Needless to say, my diet went down the pan. I gave myself the holidays off completely….no plan……no counting. I knew I’d just pick it up again after xmas and was prepared to just face the consequences. But, holidays went on way longer than they should have, it turned into that whole ‘one last meal/pudding/night out’ etc…..Then I was just too mortally embarrassed to come back. I did jot on my diary once to try to kick self up the bum, but that failed. So I am back, tail between legs….and a good few pounds heavier. I was 10st2lb before xmas, had gained a bit when trying to work up plans, and at last weeks WI on Wed. I was a very shameful 10st 11lb. I’m not a happy bunny, and still struggling to curb my nibbles. But really want to. I had begun to really enjoy eating healthy, and felt so much better for it. Just need to get over that first few days, and get my head back in the right place again.
I am cheating a bit because I am trying (and failing) to SS, I can’t be bothered to go round the long route, I just want to shift the excess, then get back to learning to maintain, which is way harder than this, in its own way, and what I need to be focused on.
Another sorry coming up, because I have decided I do not wish to be team leader anymore. Please don’t take offence guys, but realistically, I was struggling to keep up with it anyway before this. I had started a diary on maintenance, and being honest… it had just come to the time where that was where my focus needed to lie, to help me understand the process, learn from others, and try my hardest to keep this weight off. That is not to say I wish to abandon the team altogether. There is no way I would have got so far without your support, all you butterfly chasers have been my lifeline! So, I would still like to catch up with you guys, if that’s ok with you. So if a new person, just at the start of CD needs support of a team, they can ‘take’ my place if we are still sticking to the 6 members rule, as I have little to add to any losses at the moment..! But if you don’t mind, could I still lurk as an unofficial member, I’d love to see you all get closer to your goals. Which I am just sure will happen soon. One of the reasons I think our team has lasted so long is that we are a stubborn minded lot when we want to be!! (no offence intended!)
I am waffling now, so will disappear for a bit. I hope you are all well and doing ok in the New Year, and had a good Xmas too! Haven’t had chance to read all the posts yet…I will endeavour to catch up.
Heres trying for an SS 100% day tomorrow. Its so much harder it seems to get back to it, once you’ve had a taste of food! I have recently discovered the ‘FOOD DOCTOR’ range of foods. The grain/cereal mix they do is actually quite nice, very low GI and low fat. Looking foreward to getting to the point where I can learn about ‘new’ food combinations again. Did anyone else blowout? Incidentally, don’t you just feel like poo when you eat rubbish food, shocking that it was the ‘norm’ for so long.
Bye for today, will pop on tomorrow night. xx

Butterfly, so glad to see you back.....blowout is not the word...I put on over 10lb over the festivities...but was so determined not to back peddle....managed to jump back on on the 4 th Jan and have SS since then...I was weighed on Monday and have lost all the weight I gained and an extra one which I thought was great...I have come too far to turn back now. I am sorry you are feeling so downhearted at the moment and I agree with you about the unable to give up the nibbles part of your post and the just one more day plagued me for 4 days longer than I wanted it to. It is all about mind over matter though and if you could just get your head back in the zone you will be fine....getting there is hard...but I have conquered that over the last week. It took me only 3 days to get comfortably back into ketosis and now I feel I have never been away from CD as I am no longer hungry..those first 3 days were the hardest and I felt like I was starving to death....to be honest the eating thing did not make me fill good and I did not like the full feeling it gave me and I longed to have the light empty feeling of the CD again and when I finally decided enough was enough I almost embraced my first shake...I guess they just make me feel safe...this is concerning me a bit and I have raised it with my counsellor..as I just think how am I going to cope when it is just me and food when I finally have to go it alone after maintenance. A bridge that I will have to cross when I get there I guess?
Anyway great to see you back again and if you want me to take over the team challenge thing I will be more than willing to....I might need some advice on what I am doing but should cope ok...let me know what you think?
Keep your chin up Butterfly....we will all get to where we want to be eventually just concentrate on getting your head back in the zone and you will be fine.
Speak soon,

Morning Butterfly and NickiM--

BF, I am sorry you had a "Blow out" over the hols and put a little back on... but I am sure you'll shift it. And, even without SSing I think you could shift it quickly (esp, if you add exercise) because I sure a lot if it retention (bloating from the salt and alcohol. So, (as you know being a nurse) drink all the water as if you were on CD and stick to those lose GI Foods and keep us all posted we really care. And do pop in... you'llbe sorely missed.

NickiM -- Sorry about your blow out -- but both you and BF are in good company. THANK YOU for volunteering to take over as team leader. I would volunteer, but as I am only about 1.5 stone from goal (and hoping to be there by Feb. 14th and working on maintaining), I had been thinking with all the interest in the Team -- that it might be better if I gave my "Official" place (in the pound count) to someone who will show bigger losses. (?)

Now, I'm all for you being in charge... but here is a couple of suggestions: Should Start a NEW Butterflies 2010 Thread (leave a msg on this thread to go there)... PM everyone who is currently a member or has recently expressed interest. And, see if we can get 6 committed (viable/active) members for the weekly weight report -- and everyone else be ancillary "support" (not competition) members. But, of course, welcome them to pop in, post, etc.

If we opt to start the New Thread -- we can begin by putting a "Welcome" as the first post, then the page with the "Rules" second, then ask people to "sign in, sign on" -- and you form the "active" team list. I am willing to be one of the 6 active -- unless you have loads of interest and there is someone who will be losing more and faster that would like my place. These are just suggestions.

BTW, I gained about 4.5 pounds over Christmas. That is about what I have shifted with my first week of SSing -- I am okay with this, but hope to see some "real" losses this week. I'll be very happy to lose 3 pounds, but will take any losses.

Thanks Ladies, MM

Last edited:
Butterfly - so good to see you back! We've all missed you! Get off those scales - how are your new clothes fitting?

It seems that we all went off track over the Christmas period. I am very fortunate in that I still managed to lose 2lbs during that fortnight, but I don't want to appear smug. I found that reading Gillian Riley's book "Eating Less - Say Goodbye to Overeating" helped me get my head around eating. I am fortunate that I am reasonably sensible in what I eat - I've never been one to have biscuits, sweets, crisps etc in the house, and only once in a blue moon do I not cook from scratch. My biggest weaknesses are cheese and fruit (can easily eat whole bunch of grapes in the 8 miles between shops and home!) and the main problem that I have is portion control. Ms Riley's approach to not dieting does go against what we are all doing, but one of her main themes is about choice and that is what hit home for me - I can eat what I want and I can eat as much as I like, but it is my choice not to...... Just by thinking like that it made me subconsciously rather disciplined - at no point did I feel deprived. Definitely worth getting your hands on a copy and having a read, although it will be more useful for us during maintenance and beyond.

Having said all of that, I have been back at work (where I can't cook for myself) now for a week but have failed spectacularly to get back into CD mode - it's just too damn cold here! Rubbish excuse I know. I was supposed to be seeing my CDC today, but I can't get to her as a result of the weather, so I suppose I have a reprieve this week! It does mean that I am almost out of packs/bars (not that I can bear the taste of any of them these days), so WI next Wed might be interesting..... a fortnight of Mess food.... (the same food that led to a 2 stone gain in the last 3 years!)

Nicki - Thanks for volunteering to be team leader. You can still count me in, in whatever guise - I only intend to be on SS for another 13lbs, so, like Mel, I am happy to be a non-weighing member of the team if there are others keen to join - will leave that up to you!

Time to go back out and brave the cold....

'Speak' to you all later.

Pol

Last edited:
Back again,
Thanks so much girls for all your support, for the pm Nicki and message on my diary Pol. I feel so much better today for having returned. I have almost achieved a full day ss, won't count it until i go to bed, not that i intend to cheat now. I feel so much better, not sure what i will continue with for the next few pounds, thats still open for debate in my head at the moment. But what it has done, i hope is at least give me the kick start and the 'this is serious' message, so i can get back to losing, then focusing on maintaining. Have got back to diary too which helps. Had a very rare free morning, and instead of filling ot with loads of work i spent time on the p.c perusing the maintenance threads, mostly reading the wise words and advice of the amazing KD. Honestly, what that woman doesn't know about dieting and CD just isn't worth knowing. I'd urge anyone to start catching up with her threads. Helps to start to get the head work moving in the right direction, so to have any chance of this being successsful. So, all in all feeling positive at the moment, which in itself feels great.
Well done on the loss MM, good going to get back to your pre xmas weight so quickly.
Pol, is the Riley appoach similar to Paul McKenna then, the whole 'intuitive eating' approach? I'm into anything that can help, the more we add to our arsenal of understanding and changing our behaviour the better chance we have got to do this for good! Although i do suspect i will always need a little more in terms of structure to my eating plan. At least until i have maintained for a few years and it has become 'normal'. Good luck with the week with the mess food... must be difficult when the choice is so limited by the situation. Just to let you know, the Tesco ultra slim range is very similar to CD, so could probably substitute easily as part of a higher plan when food is involved. (my OH is doing this)
Got to go, DVD just been put on by OH. Back later or tomorrow, got ideas on the team thing.. xx

Morning Ladies & Butterfly,

I hope you made it through the first day. It gets easier, as you know.

MM

Just a quick hellooooo to everyone. I DID IT!!! One full 100% SS day, it feels so good to be back in control again, i am thrilled. Had WI this morning and i had dropped 4lb from last week, which i am chuffed with considering it took until sun to even think about being good(ish). Have hit my healthy BMI again, 10st7lb, and i am at work tonight and not planned a meal, so will get back up to 810 tomorrow. Hello again to cottage cheese, quorn and tuna.....joy....no, to be fair - its not so bad i suppose if you try to get a bit inventive and use plenty of herbs/spices to season. On the down side, i am blooming well freezing to death. God, i forgot how horrible it is to be this cold. I actually had warm periods when i was eating junk. I'd give anything to have one now. (minus the junk). Hope you are all doing as well. Back overnight when at work probably xx

Back