Cheap (ish) city break ideas?

Sweethearts

Gold Member
Hello, me and the OH are currently thinking about booking to go away somewhere next year for a few days. We are quite touristy and love anything to do with History so we don't really want a beach holiday.
I have had a browse through a few websites but can't seem to find anything for a decent price. We have both already been to Barcelona so that's ruled out. Any ideas? We want to stay in Europe. xx

Hi,me & hubby recently went to Madrid for the first time,loads to do,will go back again as didn't get to do everything.Food & drink was reasonable.We got a 5day travel ticket EUR27,metro is brilliant,stayed in a newly opened Ibis Budget hotel,4 nites cost us EUR136,basic but spotless clean & friendly staff.

Other places I'd recommend are Prague, Rome or Krakow.Oh & Malta is a lovely spot too.

Hope you have a lovely holiday.

Brussels is lovely! Lovely parks, some great museums, a beautiful central square surrounded by old buildings and bars. We went for a long weekend, did a bit of touristy stuff but mostly enjoyed sitting back with a beer and a waffle and watching the world go by. There are sometimes some good eurostar train (foot passenger) & hotel deals too :) There's a special night time surprise "performance" too if you hang around the main square La Grande Place at 10pm each night.

Thank you ladies! i love the sound of Brussels and Prague :)
We were thinking about Amsterdam too so will take them all into consideration. Hope we find something x

Thank you ladies! i love the sound of Brussels and Prague :)
We were thinking about Amsterdam too so will take them all into consideration. Hope we find something x

Havn't been to Brussels, it's on my to do list :) Have been to Amsterdam, wasnt overly impressed really, not much to do. Prague on the other hand is fantastic, loads to do, has good transport & is cheap.

Brussels is lovely! Lovely parks, some great museums, a beautiful central square surrounded by old buildings and bars. We went for a long weekend, did a bit of touristy stuff but mostly enjoyed sitting back with a beer and a waffle and watching the world go by. There are sometimes some good eurostar train (foot passenger) & hotel deals too :) There's a special night time surprise "performance" too if you hang around the main square La Grande Place at 10pm each night.

I was going to say Brussels, but you beat me to it!! I have been talking today to someone who lived there for ages and we were agreeing that it is a very under-rated place. Lots of things to see and the architecture is amazing, especially if you are interested in Art Nouveau. Also, there is a wonderful museum of musical instruments.

The other Belgian alternatives are Ghent and Antwerp, both of which are lovely.

Last September we went to Bratislava which was brill, we stayed near to the railway station & took day trips to Vienna, Budapest & Prague, I didn't really like Prague it was just too touristy for me. Other than Vienna it was cheap, not that Vienna was really expensive, just a tad dearer, but we only went for the day, took a walk round the city & got the tram back to railway station.

Last September we went to Bratislava which was brill, we stayed near to the railway station & took day trips to Vienna, Budapest & Prague, I didn't really like Prague it was just too touristy for me. Other than Vienna it was cheap, not that Vienna was really expensive, just a tad dearer, but we only went for the day, took a walk round the city & got the tram back to railway station.

Now that is a clever idea - go to somewhere a bit off the tourist track, but with good transport links. Inventive!!

well i think we are pretty much set on either amsterdam, prague or brussels now.... going to have a proper look at the weekend though, we just want to get away for a few days! x

I love Berlin - never seems to work out very expensive and there's loads to do.

I bookmarked this website that I saw the other day ready for next time I book - it might be useful as it looks like there are some bargains to be found on here...

Cheap Holidays | Cheap Holiday Deals | Low Cost Holidays | icelolly[ALL]&adgroup_name=F3D%20-%20Brand%20-%20URL&keyw=icelolly.com/&mtype=Exact&device=c&gclid=CMmb87ir2rgCFcjKtAodRWUAsw

Amsterdam is great! Very beautiful place and plenty to do during a short break. A guided bike tour is a must!

Hotel Constans Prague

We stayed here in Prague. The room was huuuge!!! We were in the room in the photos where it says free wifi available. Bumped into somebody I knew at breakfast one day too. Small world. We went in December so it wasnt as busy with tourists and all the christmas markets were out.

Back