Chicken Jalfrezi and Onion Bhajis

peachy7

Silver Member
I just made the syn free Chicken Jalfrezi and 1 syn Onion Bhaji's from the curry feast book and I have to say they were both amazing!! Although I wouldn't add the 100ml water it tells you to as it made it quite sloppy. Would recommend this to anyone though. Also with the Bhaji's I doubled up the size so it only made 6 instead of 12 making them 2 syns each

The bhajis are fab :D even hubby loves them, however I could definitely eat more than 1 syn worth. Definitely agree about the water though I think there is enough water in the onion.

I will have to buy the curry feast book I loves a good indian!! Could i have the recipe for them both please :) I cant get the book til next Monday now :(

xx

Pesty - I haven't got my book with me but I can email it to you tomorrow if you want unless someone else has it handy - the book though is out of print so you cannot get it from group, you have to buy it off Amazon

enjoy it - I make at least one curry per week out of this book, because it is old though I do double check some of the syn values. I made the Maglorean Beef & tomato curry with tomato & mushroom pilau rice last week - it was one of the best curries I have tasted.

Onion Bhaji's

200g/7oz(1 largish size) onion
50g/2oz gram flour (tesco is best place to buy)
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp deseeded and chopped fresh green chilli (i used 1 small one)
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves (although my chef at work assures me ground is just as good in bhaji's)
1/4 tsp baking powder, salt to season.

Put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, season with salt add a few tablespoons of water to form a thick batter coating, mix and leave to rest for 15mins, then mix using fingers to combine thoroughly. Line a baking tray with parchment,spray with fry light, mixture makes 12 bhaji's. Cook for 20 mins on 220/gas 7.

Chicken Jalfrezi

4 chicken breasts
1tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, peeled, finely sliced
1 red and 1 yellow pepper finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp finely grated ginger
1 tbsp med curry powder
1/2 tsp mild or med chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
can chopped tomatoes (400g)
large handful chopped coriander leaves
salt and black pepper to season

On a medium heat stir fry cumin seeds 1-2mins, add onion, garlic,
peppers and ginger fry for 6-8mins. add curry powder, chilli powder, cumin and coriander, season well fry for 1-2mins. add chicken increase heat to high 4-5mins, stir in tomatoes and fresh coriander, add 100ml water ( i would only add about 50ml), cover and reduce heat to low, cook for about 15mins or until chicken is tender.

I made the Jalfrezi on Saturday - it is so nice but mine was dead hot - I think I put too much Chilli powder in!

I am going to try this on Wednesday. Do you serve with rice & count the rice as syns?

Depends which plan you are doing - on red you would need to syn the rice but on extra easy the rice is syn free.

Back