Christening questions re: party/Godparents etc

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I'm getting both the children christened on the 1st May and I've got a few questions.

1) I've chosen the Godparents but 1 set of them (my H cousin in Ireland) can't come as they're Godparents at another christening that day. Can they still be Godparents & someone else 'stands in' on the day?

2) My son will be 2.5 by then, can he just wear shirt/waistcoat/tie & trousers? Do they have to be cream/white?

3) We're having the party at the local cricket club. What happens at the party? We're having a buffet where I'm doing the food & obviously a christening cake but what else happens?

4) How long should the party be? 12-5pm ok?

Sorry I don't know the etiquette here in England as back home we get the children christened when a few months old & just go to my Mums house for food/dinner.

Thanks

Hi Im not sure on question 1 hunni as for question 2 my nephews son was 1 years old when he was christened and he wore shirt, waistcoat, trousers and a little tie bless he looked so cute your question 3 as to what happens at the party well its really just a get to-gether of all your friends and family to celebrate the christening you may want some background music or maybe an entertainer for the kids obviously depending on your budget as for the length of time its entirely up to you but 12 - 5 sounds long enough to be honest again depending on cost of the hire of he rugby club.

I hope you all have a wonderful day :) x

I dont think you can have stand in's as such, I know when I was God mother for my niece part of the ceremony is for the Godparents to make vows. If someones making the vows then really Id say theyre then the Godparents. Besides how do you say to someone theyre stand ins, could be awkward lol While being Godparent is lovely to be asked to do once the ceremony is over your 'job' is kinda done. Im not my youngest nieces Godmother but Im every bit as close to her as I am the eldest one.

The wee one can wear what you want, the colours are up to you :)

As Alison says the 'party' is really just a get together, any Christening Ive been to everyone has just mingled, chatted etc and had food/drink.

My 2 children are getting christened on the 2nd april and they are 7 and 2. My son will be wearing a smart shirt and trousers and my daughter a dress of some kind but something that she will wear again.

Agan, not too sure about the stand-in godparents Im pretty sure they have to be there as they make vows.

We are having a gettogther at the village pub afterwards. 2-5pm with a buffet and a cake etc etc.

Hope you have a wonderful day, Im so looking forward to ours! x

I'm getting both the children christened on the 1st May and I've got a few questions.

1) I've chosen the Godparents but 1 set of them (my H cousin in Ireland) can't come as they're Godparents at another christening that day. Can they still be Godparents & someone else 'stands in' on the day?
No, they cant. You have to have the godparents present.
2) My son will be 2.5 by then, can he just wear shirt/waistcoat/tie & trousers? Do they have to be cream/white?
Yes he can, no they don't. Just smart will be fine.
3) We're having the party at the local cricket club. What happens at the party? We're having a buffet where I'm doing the food & obviously a christening cake but what else happens?

All the ones I have been to have been very informal. Mostly it involves sitting around, chatting, getting a bit drunk and separating squabbling children.
4) How long should the party be? 12-5pm ok?
Up to you - although all the ones I have been to have not really had an "end" time, being in pubs anyway. Generally the ones with the kids will drift off earlier. If the cricket club is open for general drinking that day then you can do the same, or you can tell everyone a fixed end time so that you dont end up staying back for hours while the stragglers refuse to leave.
Sorry I don't know the etiquette here in England as back home we get the children christened when a few months old & just go to my Mums house for food/dinner.

As someone else said, if you want to have a disco, or some entertainment, up to you, but if theres going to be lots of kids around, they will be happy enough with food, drink and balloons to chase around and play with.

You're welcome :D

Back