NEW Slimming World FAQ

A choc bar would keep you fuller for longer than a yogurt because it's more solid than a yogurt.So it takes your digestive system longer to digest and pass it through.
I could easily eat several yogurts before feeling full but can only eat one choc bar.
Ah yes, good point! Feeling a bit silly now... I'm blaming it on the heat!

Although, I feel more full after a yogurt than a choc bar. Can't really say I've ever really taken notice of how long for though.

I think this section is always going to be up for debate and I would encourage everyone to follow what works for them TBH. Ironically having a low syn rather than free yoghurt is against the advice on the slimming world website so really I think, as I said, each consultant interprets it differently. The 20kcal to 1 syn rule is not something they admit exists so as there would be no other way to syn free foods then they stick to "can't". Like we all agree kcal are kcal and yes some foods fill you up more per volume but there is no genuine reason to specifically exclude yoghurts, why not pineapple? Or other non speed fruits?

Also how are we expected to syn cooked or mashed or puréed fruit? All of a sudden it miraculously gains a syn value suspiciously similar to that rule yet are free foods that, by that principle shouldn't be syn-able.

If your consultant says not and you are happy with that then cool, if they say you can and you don't want to then that's fine too as I see it. Consider it a "tweak" ;)

Also slimming world themselves say the "other foods" section is for things that are free like potato that you just can't do without for the odd meal but that you should try and restrict for SP.

Last edited:
This is from the handbook....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 121
Ah yes, good point! Feeling a bit silly now... I'm blaming it on the heat!

Although, I feel more full after a yogurt than a choc bar. Can't really say I've ever really taken notice of how long for though.

No need to feel silly. It helps to question everything your not sure or want an answer to.That way we all learn and can help each other. What works for one may not work for someone else.
It's like some 'tweak' foods which can work for them but may not work for the next person.:)

I think this section is always going to be up for debate and I would encourage everyone to follow what works for them TBH. Ironically having a low syn rather than free yoghurt is against the advice on the slimming world website so really I think, as I said, each consultant interprets it differently. The 20kcal to 1 syn rule is not something they admit exists so as there would be no other way to syn free foods then they stick to "can't". Like we all agree kcal are kcal and yes some foods fill you up more per volume but there is no genuine reason to specifically exclude yoghurts, why not pineapple? Or other non speed fruits?

Also how are we expected to syn cooked or mashed or puréed fruit? All of a sudden it miraculously gains a syn value suspiciously similar to that rule yet are free foods that, by that principle shouldn't be syn-able.

If your consultant says not and you are happy with that then cool, if they say you can and you don't want to then that's fine too as I see it. Consider it a "tweak" ;)

Also slimming world themselves say the "other foods" section is for things that are free like potato that you just can't do without for the odd meal but that you should try and restrict for SP.

That's very true about synning the cooked fruit etc. I've never thought about it that.

To be honest, sp doesn't really work for me anyway, I did it religiously for a whole week and only lost 1lb. Another lady in my group did it for a week and lost 5lb, so like you say, some things work for some but not others.

I wasn't looking to be argumentative in anyway, just thought I'd pop in what my cons said.

I have had to tweak quite a few things to help me lose over the last few weeks so I think it's definitely a case of follow the plan in a way that's right for you, not exactly how they say it.

Personally I think the whole 'unlimited' thing is ridiculous and, like you, think there should be a disclaimer to say 'don't be a pig' (not that I'm saying anyone is a pig, but I am!).

That's very true about synning the cooked fruit etc. I've never thought about it that.

To be honest, sp doesn't really work for me anyway, I did it religiously for a whole week and only lost 1lb. Another lady in my group did it for a week and lost 5lb, so like you say, some things work for some but not others.

I wasn't looking to be argumentative in anyway, just thought I'd pop in what my cons said.

I have had to tweak quite a few things to help me lose over the last few weeks so I think it's definitely a case of follow the plan in a way that's right for you, not exactly how they say it.

Personally I think the whole 'unlimited' thing is ridiculous and, like you, think there should be a disclaimer to say 'don't be a pig' (not that I'm saying anyone is a pig, but I am!).

I totally agree with you and am not at all surprised by your consultant and for loads of people it may work but I am not one for following blindly and have to question it. It's very useful to hear from everyone :) and I love the fact it's promoting debate! I didn't see it as argumentative in the slightest :) I like that we are all throwing our 2 cents in. Helps is to make sense of something that I think most at SW itself find confusing!!

Thanks, useful info.

So apart from Extra Easy SP - are there any changes to the normal Extra Easy Plan? (Other than no oil for the HEX?)

There are several fruits that are no longer speed now and only count as free. Off the top of my head that includes pineapple and blueberries

Technically this means you can't have them on an SP day. Which is, as I have moaned about before, patently ridiculous. Pineapple contains lots of enzymes that have been shown to be beneficial for weightloss and so on and blueberries were, not so long ago, considered a superfood. I'm sure there are others but those to come to mind.

Love this post. A great little reminder how not to cheat the plan and yourself.

You can split them but you can't have half. What you are doing is fine but say you had half of your milk allowance and then didn't want any more. Technically you should syn what you did have and have a full hex a of something else. Basically cheese. Doing what you do is another accepted way around it :) so carry on!

Thank you for making this clear... I've been listing 350ml skimmed milk as my hexa, but I know I haven't been having it all. If I use half I'll eat a bit of cheese for the other half or something. :)

Just found this thread, fabulous!! Answered loads of my questions. Have been half and halving my HEXB as I find 40g porridge oats a hefty portion. Been using 20g and a slice of wholemeal bread later. Glad to read that this is ok.
My puzzle is what is a reasonable size free food portion?
Mainly thinking of pasta rice etc. Looking at the recipe page pictures would give a clue if I knew the size of the plate!! My friend always eats from a small side plate says it helps!

Not done SW for a few years and wanted to go it alone as I can;t be doing with groups - but I might go online for a month to get the gist - it seems to have changed quite a bit. EE had just been introduced the last time I did it. Crikey it was a while. Thanks for this heads up.x

Back