Christmas in the 70s - nostalgia alert!

My dad didn't believe in The Other Side!
Oops!

Sorry Sarah! called you Sir lol. Must stop taking usenames as gospel lol.

Steve

PS you can call me madam or missie if it evens things up;)

Wow, could you imagine old-school parenting like that nowadays? - if little Johnny couldn't watch xy or z channel Social Services or Childline will be on the case lol.

It's ok, Miss Steve; I answer to most things.

I don't actually remember Dad being forceful about it - it just didn't happen. We just only watched the things on BBC.

Mind you, we didn't watch it much anyway: far too busy out there climbing trees!

It's very inconvenient when it comes to pub quizzes, though.

Strangely, after he retired Dad spent much of his day glued to the idiot box, and the channel was irrelevant. Heigh ho. I suspect a suggestion of hypocrisy wouldn't have gone down that well!

my mum and dad wouldn't let us watch Tiswas when we were growing up in the 70's but my husbands family was even worse as he wasn't allowed to watch Grange Hill which is my all time favourite kids show - I started high school the same day as Tucker Jenkins so it was all real life to me...

I had mouse trap for Christmas but always wanted girls world but was never allowed. Me and my brother got crossfire one year which involved shooting plastic guns loaded with balbearings at a plastic hockey puck trying to score against each other - just remember getting really bad blisters on my thumbs from playing to much.

And I loved my flower loom - made hundreds of woollen flowers and put them together in what must have been a truely hideous cushion...

Im more of an early 80's throwback lol, rubiks cube, rara skirts, padded shoulders, leg warmers, spiro perms, opal fruits, whoppers wham, CULTURE CLUB! Ohh i can remember having tiny tears and someone nicked it!!! Heartbroken i was lol, ohhh there's too much to mention!

Petal01 said:
Im more of an early 80's throwback lol, rubiks cube, rara skirts, padded shoulders, leg warmers, spiro perms, opal fruits, whoppers wham, CULTURE CLUB! Ohh i can remember having tiny tears and someone nicked it!!! Heartbroken i was lol, ohhh there's too much to mention!

I'm a bit of a crossover between the two coz I was born in 73 so I was 6 when the 80s started. My brother who was born in 1981 asked for a tiny tears doll for Christmas when he was about 3 and he named it Tube. No idea why. :D

I remember being taken on a day trip to London when I was about 5 or 6 and the big craze at the time was a dog lead that looked like you were walking an invisible dog. I really wanted one of those, but didn't get one. Quite glad about that now, people would have thought I was barking.

Baboomtisch. Thankyou very much ladies and gentlemen, I'm here all week...

i remember having a tiny tears doll and then my parents got me another one and a double red pram which was like a vinyl material and my mum had made me loads of clothes to go with it.

i got a Big Trak once.

loveeeedd Sindy and Girls World, was not a Barbie Fan.

Do you remember getting dress up paper dolls on the back of comics.
My dad would bring me comics in my bedroom every sunday. started off with Whizzer and Chips and Beano, then moved on to Tammy, Jinty etc.
I miss the 70's and I miss my dad when I read posts like this.xx

Just read this back. I miss my dad all the time but especially when i read posts about the past.

I remember being taken on a day trip to London when I was about 5 or 6 and the big craze at the time was a dog lead that looked like you were walking an invisible dog. I really wanted one of those, but didn't get one. Quite glad about that now, people would have thought I was barking.

I wanted one when I was a kid, after they were on That's Life. (it's ok: it was on the BBC!) But I couldn't get one.

I mentioned it to someone only a couple of years ago, and they directed me to a particular website: and now - guess what!

His name's Elbie (Short for Elbisivni), and he does vary a bit in size, depending on how much my arms ache. But I've entered him in two Village Fête dog shows.
He won a prize at the first one: just for entering, I think. The second one turned out to be taken rather too seriously by the County Set, and I felt a complete prawn, walking him round and round the ring.

But hey: life's rich tapestry, eh?

Shall I leave this site now, before the men in green coats come to take m.... eh?? what??? Aaaarrrggggghhhhh! Help!!! Kidnap!!! Aaaarrrggggghhhhh!!

I wanted one when I was a kid, after they were on That's Life. (it's ok: it was on the BBC!) But I couldn't get one.

I mentioned it to someone only a couple of years ago, and they directed me to a particular website: and now - guess what!

His name's Elbie (Short for Elbisivni), and he does vary a bit in size, depending on how much my arms ache. But I've entered him in two Village Fête dog shows.
He won a prize at the first one: just for entering, I think. The second one turned out to be taken rather too seriously by the County Set, and I felt a complete prawn, walking him round and round the ring.

But hey: life's rich tapestry, eh?

Shall I leave this site now, before the men in green coats come to take m.... eh?? what??? Aaaarrrggggghhhhh! Help!!! Kidnap!!! Aaaarrrggggghhhhh!!

Sounds like fun and you sound saner than the country set lol !!! I judge at country shows and sometimes can not believe how deadly serious some of the classes are.

I would have loved to have you at one of my classes........mind you I judge horses so that would have been a hard one lol.

Oh, Fillymum, I'm sure I could ride an invisible horse if I needed to!
But I'm not sure how good Elbie would be around horses.
He's good at rounding up invisible sheep, though.

Oh, Fillymum, I'm sure I could ride an invisible horse if I needed to!
But I'm not sure how good Elbie would be around horses.
He's good at rounding up invisible sheep, though.

In that case he would have been wonderful around invisible horses...... believe me I know these things, I am very old old.

Hmmph!

I wasn't allowed an invisible horse on the grounds I would probably never muck it out and mum would have to do it.

I think I can trace my comfort-eating back to then:p

Hmmph!

I wasn't allowed an invisible horse on the grounds I would probably never muck it out and mum would have to do it.

I think I can trace my comfort-eating back to then:p

There is always a trigger ( forgive the pun ) and that must have been it. How cruel can parents be !!!!

Roy&Trigger_3-1954.jpg

And the invisible muck is so much harder to find and clear out.

But so good for your invisible vegetable garden. The resulting invisible potatoes make the lightest, calorie free potatoes so it is very valuable stuff for an S.W' er.

400_F_14285762_qkbLDJyfPIe5caY91NeTf7aYJ0VZEh8u.jpg

Mmmm that potato looks so good !!!!

My imaginary friend was like a stick insect - could eat anything...... lol.

Anyway, Rolf harris, Stylophone and that tune - I think it was the opening bars to Son of my father by Chickory Tip. Ringing in my head currently.

Back