Class Scales wrong?

wenchie

Silver Member
I had an undeserved 1/2 gain last night, which I am fairly gutted about, but I'm suspicious that there was an issue with the scales - the class as a whole lost 9 pounds and put on 76!

Lots of people didn't stay (only 3 people lost at all - 2 of whom were newbies and people often don't if they've gained) but there were enough long term regulars (like me) who tend to have a fair idea of the plan and how it works for us and no one felt like they deserved either a gain or as big a gain as they got.

Has anyone else ever had that kind of issue with the class scales? Our consultant's contacting head office and apparently she's had them 18months and they've never been calibrated (which seems wrong to me from a scientist's perspective but I don't know the tolerances of these). I'm not about to spiral off into a binge or anything (stupid broken electronics totally don't deserve that!) but it's horribly demotivating :mad:

im sure your consultant is doing everything she can regaurding the issues around this...
how ever as for calibration the scales have a self calibrating warning on the readout, which im sure your consultant must have checked, maybe you need to contact your consultant to see if head office have come up with any solutions,
can you imagain how your consultant must have felt too, i think i would have been onto the support team as soon as i realised there might be a problem
hope she and you get it sorted
i also know how it feels to have a undeserved gain at scales it makes you want to go and eat for england... but look how far you have come in your weight loss journey and reflect on the bigger picture
good luck hun
maybe i could offer some support to your Consultant if i knew who she is

this happened at my class a few months ago, however it has been happening for a few weeks and the scales were weighing everyone lighter, some pple were getting losses of like 9lb and saying that they didnt think they had done that well because they had chineses and alcohol

when are consultant realised, only because alot of ppl said they didnt think they should have lost that much and she realised her scales were broken, the week after we all put on I put on 1.5lb lol although it wasnt what I ate but I shouldnt have lost that over the 4 weeks the scales were wrong

lol sorry if this doesnt make much sense haha :)

Hey Maxine, thanks - I did wonder about the self calibration (there is, physically, a limit to how well or long that can work for, but I'm sure they've been tested and will be serviced, etc, long before any problems would be expected) I know the warning light wasn't flashing and she rebooted them.

I felt SO bad for my consultant - she's been off for the last couple of weeks because she had an op, and we've been desperate for her to come back and she's come back to that! I'm pretty sure she'll work it out (she's been doing it for a long time and she's pretty savvy) but I'll drop her a wee text tommorrow and see how she's doing - I'm not going to go off the rails (I've worked ruddy hard and I've got into some littler clothese this week, so I'm not spoiling that with my stropping ;)) but she's so supportive and maybe she could do with some of that back (and if she's heard anything, great, if it's still being looked at, fine).

It was not a happy class last night, but at least those that stayed know there was something funny going on.

Hey Sue,

Oh, that's good to know - that we're not the only ones! I suppose that even with the really expensive scales there must still be some that aren't quite perfect and don't cope so well with being flung in the car and things?

That makes perfect sense (must've been gutting to see a "gain" for you though, even when you knew that it wasn't actually a proper gain at all).

I suppose I'll hopefully see where I "really" am next week... (maybe my class will get a heap of stickies next week, that would certainly perk the mood up)

yea dont worry it will work itself out, but giving ur consultant a txt is a good idea will help her no u are thinking of her because mine got shouted at by at lot of members saying they wouldnt come back and she was in tears

I felt really bad for her, most of the class explained to her that we understood and that these things happen everyone makes a mistake, its her job afterall and we all make mistakes at work, no matter how small or big they are usually fixable

getting the gain was awful i went on to gain another 0.5lb the week after but then I gave myself a kick up the bum and got back on track :)

Hope they are sorted soon. Our scales went the other way and was giving people losses of 2.5 STONE one week!

This has happened a few times on here, always ends up with new scales being issued to consultants involved.

One thing though, I thought for public weighing scales, they have to be tested once a year?

Hope they are sorted soon. Our scales went the other way and was giving people losses of 2.5 STONE one week!

Wish that happened in my class, would get a free week coz that would make me at target, haha.

A similar thing happened in my group before, a visiting C used her scales and there were lots of gains then the next week everyone lost that and a lot more so my C (who is an area manager) checked it out with the visiting C and it turned out they had been dropped and had lost calibration. They were weighing everyone too light and as a result, her class all had fairly substantial gains the week her scales were changed. Guess they were cursing us out! Haha.

Thanks for letting me know we're not alone :D

The fill in consultant last week (and the week before) used my C's kit, but apparently she did unplug everything and reading between the lines it could easily have been dropped at some point. Hopefully there'll be new scales next week and the difference between them will work in our favour!

@Divster - I'd've thought there'd have been SOME kind of maximum time between calibrations, and 18 months does seem a heck of a long time for scales that aren't kept static (actually, it just seems long to me full stop, but that's probably the industrial chemistry degree coming in to play...). It's not particularly difficult to do, but I suppose there is the expense of getting it done centrally?

@NiaX cheers - 2.5STONE?!?! Wow. I suppose at least then there's absolutely no question that there's something not right!

I'm kind of wishing my life away to next tuesday night now... I want to KNOW!

I had an undeserved 1/2 gain last night, which I am fairly gutted about, but I'm suspicious that there was an issue with the scales - the class as a whole lost 9 pounds and put on 76!

Lots of people didn't stay (only 3 people lost at all - 2 of whom were newbies and people often don't if they've gained) but there were enough long term regulars (like me) who tend to have a fair idea of the plan and how it works for us and no one felt like they deserved either a gain or as big a gain as they got.

Has anyone else ever had that kind of issue with the class scales? Our consultant's contacting head office and apparently she's had them 18months and they've never been calibrated (which seems wrong to me from a scientist's perspective but I don't know the tolerances of these). I'm not about to spiral off into a binge or anything (stupid broken electronics totally don't deserve that!) but it's horribly demotivating :mad:

hi hun join the club i put on 1/2lb last night and followed the plan 100% :cry:there were a few of us that had put on un-expectedly but there were loads of loses as well will have to see if i have a loss next week x

ours were the same last night an noone stayed to group, overall our group had like a 3lb loss and nearly a 100lb gain was really gtting with the fact that id had a bad weekend anyway but dint expect to see 8lb gain, hopefully be sorted next week and we can get back on track xx

We have the same make of scales at work for weighing children. Although we calibrate them at each use they are electronically calibrated once a year by a technician. They are allowed to have a variation of about 1.5 ounces only !!

im going to contact head office to get an official reply and then i will pass it on.. ive been a Consultant for 10 months so need to get this sorted too there is no way i want my members to go through what some of you seem to have been through
bbl

ours were the same last night an noone stayed to group, overall our group had like a 3lb loss and nearly a 100lb gain was really gtting with the fact that id had a bad weekend anyway but dint expect to see 8lb gain, hopefully be sorted next week and we can get back on track xx

Wow - that's even worse than us! *hugs* it's horrible to see that number, even when you know it's likely not right. Here's to us getting a really NICE result next week, right? I'm very glad I stayed to class though - there's a small core of people that pretty much always stay and we're fairly good at talking people back from the edge (as it were), I'm not sure I'd've been as determined not to let it affect me if I hadn't had that time to process with people.

We have the same make of scales at work for weighing children. Although we calibrate them at each use they are electronically calibrated once a year by a technician. They are allowed to have a variation of about 1.5 ounces only !!
see - that feels about right to me - all our lab scales were calibrated annually too and were only allowed a small percentage variation.

im going to contact head office to get an official reply and then i will pass it on.. ive been a Consultant for 10 months so need to get this sorted too there is no way i want my members to go through what some of you seem to have been through

thanks Maxine - I'd be really interested to find out what the official line is, I suppose they're balancing a line of getting them calibrated often enough with the cost of getting it done (it's not cheap and arranging to get consultants all over the country done must add to that cost) :).

I know it'll get sorted out, and I suppose the sampling of people who've been affected is quite small, but it's such an emotive thing and therefore a really big deal when it happens. I feel bad for people who've been caught with it and don't have additional support outwith the meeting to get their heads around it and it must be a nightmare for the consultants too.

Back